Rating System (was: what even are social noises round N+1)

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Mar 31, 2017.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Given the option between Informative, Useful, or Interesting, "Informative" is the one I most want to keep.

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 1
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Fave option: Useful
    OK option: Informative
    No: Interesting.

• Like x 4
  3. devian

devian Well-Known Member

Between Informative, Useful, and Interesting, I prefer Informative, but Interesting would be okay. I don't really like Useful and haven't seen it used much in threads so far.

I like the idea of an Acknowledged button, and it would be particularly useful for the original problem this thread was about.

My #1 wish is for a Relatable button, because I would use it all the time.

So my preferred list would be like... Like, Agree, Informative, Acknowledged, Sympathy, Relatable, Witnessed ? Which is about the same number we have now, but would be a more practical spread of options imo.

I still think Social Noise would be hilarious, but the reason it's funny to me is because it's so vague as to be nigh useless, so I don't think it's actually the best idea.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
  4. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I like either informative or interesting, no strong preference on which, and I really don't care for useful. If I'm trying to rate something useful, I'll be evaluating it on a scale of 'does this have a practical, measurably positive effect?' and informative and interesting feel much less... restricted. None of them mean the exact same things, but I think either informative or interesting covers a more broad, more usable umbrella.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

If we're going for vague, how about just "[noises]", or "rating". I would love to have a post that has been rated, not rated anything in particular, just rated.

• Like x 12
    • Agree x 1
  6. spockandawe

I think it will make life more complicated for everyone involved :P We got on pretty well with just likes for a long time, and if we can have a general set of reactions that covers a reasonable number of bases, I think just having one universal set will be easiest for everybody. I won't remember which is in which, and also I think there's decent odds of inspiring a specialized reaction cutset debate for every individual subforum, and it just doesn't seem that important/necessary.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

So this was mentioned back as a possible substitute for hugs, but I don't think "sympathies" really covers what "hugs" does for me mentally. This as a substitute makes no fucking sense to me because that is not the only time during which hugs occur. For me the excitement about the option was that I could just randomly click that button for very specific users. Not necessarily when they're sad or upset but just because I am bored and OH LOOK IT IS THAT PERSON I PHYSICALLY ACTUALLY HUG A LOT HELLO. Along with sympathy. And reactions to cute happy puppy pictures. And so on.

Sympathy just doesn't really cover that at all. I also don't really ping sympathy and witnessed as being all that different in terms of how they read to me.

The idea of restricting hugs to one board seems odd to me though I do like the idea just because I want a fucking hug button. Even if it's only like in the vent threads.

Useful doesn't really ping me as being that useful. Most of what I find useful here is what I'd define as informative. Informative is also broader to me in terms of scope, as it can contain both useful things and not terribly useful things.

Interesting is...

Not...really the same as either of those two things? Like a picture of a weird dick might be interesting but it's certainly neither informative nor useful. Unless I guess the conversation is about weird dicks or something and it somehow elucidates the matter. To use a very crude example.

Funny is ok, I guess. It's a bit redundant for me with like around, but that's a personal matter I guess.

I have no idea what winner is supposed to convey and I want it kept solely for that reason and that reason alone. Why is this one random post about apples winner? Who knows. But god damn is it winner.

Agree I like and would prefer to keep so I can have an easy way of being clear that I'm showing agreement with a particular post. Without having the write shit out to just be like USER X IS RIGHT.

A relatable button would be nice. So long as it doesn't replace winner's spot.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 3
  8. spockandawe

Oh, if the forum-specific reaction thing is still about hugs/affection/etc, then I'm still pretty strongly opposed :P I just... don't want to be fielding that without warning, and I don't like signaling (even if it's not voluntarily or directly) that it's okay for someone to touch ("touch") me. If affection is an appropriate response to a thing someone posts, it's not hard to just, say, like the post and post affection in the thread. Even if someone just posts <33333333 in the thread, that's not the same as having a button on all of my posts in that forum that any person could click at any time.

• Like x 2
  9. Aondeug

That's part of why I like it and would like to keep it around, which I didn't think to mention. I like to think that at any moment I could be hugged. It is comforting to me.

yay different needs

10. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Good: Like, Agree, Winner, Informative, Hugs, Witnessed

Irrelevant to my needs: Funny, Useful

I am aware hugs is being removed regardless of other opinions for conflicting needs reasons but I still like it a lot and wish it to be stated for Official Record.

• Like x 2
  11. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I was joking in that one post but i genuinely like how usemative sounds in my head and how it looks on the page and it's a complete bullshit noise that means whatever we want it to mean in the realm of "content that contributes some informative value" and??? Idk??? I would like a Usemative button.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  12. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Informful looks very informal

• Like x 3
  13. spockandawe

And I prefer informful!! >:O And now, we are at an impasse

(this is why we can't have nice things)

(kidding about the >:O, not kidding about preferring informful, though I'd be totally happy with either. I really like blending words to cover extra territory)

• Like x 4
  14. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I feel strongly about one button and that button is Winner
    that feeling is also Winner

I could take or leave anything else

• Winner x 11
    • Like x 1
  15. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

"[social noises]", "[physical noises]", "[animal noises]", "[noises]", "[/noises]", "[noses]", and everyone's favorite, "[hashtag]".

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 3
  16. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Add a "Thanks" reaction (and rate all of Seebs' posts with it).

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

i'm resisting the temptation to make one of the things "ThanksJosie".

• Like x 10
  18. coldstars

coldstars get Jazzy on it

I can't believe the solution all along was to create a dedicated pets forum that contains only the reactions Hugs and A GOOD DOG and ADORABLE... /jokes

/whispers/ Homestuck strikes again

• Like x 11
  19. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

I looked at the list of people who clicked the Hug button on this post and they all had A names so I joined in. :)

• Like x 4
  20. Aondeug

...that is an odd pattern.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice