Rating System (was: what even are social noises round N+1)

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Mar 31, 2017.

1. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I can go break it if you want.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Nah it's fine. I just find it very curious.

• Agree x 1
  3. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

quick question: is there a way to make it so clicking on the word where the number is listed (e.g. Like x 2) makes you like that post?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  4. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

that would be convenient.

• Agree x 1
  5. Technicality

or "agree" or whatever the word is
    like it does on Discord with reactions

• Like x 1
  6. Technicality

Also, slightly hijacking this post to ask: why are signatures not enabled by default?

• Agree x 1
  7. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

From where I stand, they're a hassle and make it noticeably more time-consuming to read and interact with posts. I think... based on my distant past where I did try to do forum things, having signatures automatically on gave me the impression that I was SUPPOSED to do the thing, and not doing a signature was Incorrect. And I don't think I would have guessed it was possible to turn them off, so it would have just been a slow, unpleasant drain on me. My unscientific guess: adhd. Putting Extra Things in front of me is going to distract me every single time, for every post by people who have the signatures. And it won't be new information! It will be old and I'll already know it, but it would be like getting tapped on the shoulder every time I finish reading a post. Having them on by default would have been extremely unpleasant for me.

That being said, it was a long time before I knew signatures were a thing on here, even if I have negative interest in enabling them. Mentioning them somewhere in the guide to kintsugi thread and describing how to enable/disable them is probably a good idea if they aren't in there already.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I disable all signatures on all websites because they consist entirely of stuff I dont care about and use the precious screenspace / bandwidth I save for posts. Then again I am used to very obnoxious websites where a person's signature was just a way to see how many different flashy colours and misspelled song lyrics could be crammed into 500*250 pixels. This is probably not the case here but I generally keep them off anyway.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  9. kmoss

kmoss whoops

pt1.png

pt2.png

thanks all

• Winner x 11
    • Like x 5
  10. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I've never really seen stuff like that in signatures, on here it's mostly things like "These are my pronouns." "My tumblr blog is _____" or quotes and such. There aren't really super flashy colors, and I don't think I've seen a single image that isn't simple pixel art, mostly from @cassikat's thread.

• Like x 2
  11. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

• Like x 3
  12. Aondeug

I use them to have song lyrics and quotes I like follow me everywhere. I gotta be pretentious and mark my mood and beliefs in song form.

trump gets elected

SA KYR'AM NAU TRACYN KAD, VODE AN

should probably switch that up at some point but with what is the question

13. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

With me at least, adhd-wise, it doesn't really matter what's there, it's going to yank me out of the thread regardless. An obnoxious signature would be worse, and kmoss's signature is perfectly restrained and serviceable, but I still was like [distress noises] at the idea of having to deal with that throughout a thread on my own. I don't know quite how to put this, comparisons are hard. If I was reading the thread, and everyone had signatures on, it means that every time I finish reading a single post, someone sticks their hand in front of my face and snaps their fingers. It takes me energy to get back on focus, and even if it's just a little energy, it's so, so cumulative.

I'm looking back through the hazy past, and honestly, I think signatures played a nonzero role in why I couldn't forum before this. When I was younger (read: three years ago), I used to pitch fits at my mom for asking me to let the dog outside while I was trying to do schoolwork. She didn't get it, because this takes like two minutes, what's the big deal. But it takes me like an hour to refocus once my attention is pulled away. This is on a much smaller scale, but the same idea. Most people at my work hoard all the computer monitors they can, and I just stick to my laptop because anything unnecessary that pulls my attention away from what I'm doing (like the two-inch gap between monitors :P) wrecks my ability to accomplish things. I feel like it feels like I'm exaggerating for effect, but I'm really not :T

(and I didn't have any idea before, uh, five posts ago that this was something that typically could be disabled. I would have assumed it was... you know. Default, unavoidable forum structure. And that would have kind of really sucked. Even if they just got flipped to on-by-default right now, by the time I figured out how to go into my settings and disable it, I would have probably lost an entire afternoon to being Disproportionately Upset. It's a nice feature for the people who want it to know about and use, but it is... the very polar opposite of a nice feature for me)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Witnessed x 12
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I´ve had a quote from Alice In Wonderland in there since forever.

15. Technicality

@spockandawe I totally understand that, didn't think about it that way. That makes sense.

• Like x 1
  16. kmoss

kmoss whoops

side note, i like that i'm the model for good and restrained signature usage

• Like x 5
  17. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

I'm not caught up, but Witnessed to me seems like a solemn acknowledgement of the thing that's happening, while 'like' used to be a more emotional acknowledgement (like wordless sympathy or expressing fondness/support for the person). If 'Like' isn't going to mean that anymore with the new system, we definitely need a button that does.

Could we replace 'Hugs' with a Heart? That would sound more personal then 'sympathy' or 'comfort' and it wouldn't be a physical gesture. <3 = sending love/comfort/warm feelings etc.

Edit: I never liked witnessed very much (it's too cold and feels like people are staring at me with no expression) but it's definitely a thing on this forum and it should be kept around.

Edit #2: What about replacing useful/informative with something more ambigueous like...idk, a lightbulb emoji? For the peeps who are going to get anxiety because of the labels 'useful' and 'informative'? Still would love 'funny' to be replaced with indication of laughter.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. Aondeug

It's also more versatile than sympathy, which I like. So yes. Good.

19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I think "Sympathy" already has an in, so to speak - a lot of people will like a sadpost and then clarify in a comment that it was a "sympathy like". Having a "Sympathy" button seems like a natural continuation of that.

• Agree x 9
  20. Peophin

Peophin Easily Distracted

Would like to chime in to say I'd be very very uncomfortable with hearts for the same reason a lot of people are uncomfortable with hugs. A heart feels very personal and intimate in a way I think could be just as potentially boundary-violating. It also has positive connotations that "Sympathy" doesn't necessarily have to have; "Sympathy" could just be an "I feel you bro, that sucks :/" sort of thing in addition to "sending positive feelings." And then there's ALSO the potential issue of someone misinterpreting it to mean "I like this" in a positive sense, and then you get all the issues that already come with ambiguous likes...

I'll cast my vote in for "Sympathy", for what it's worth.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice