Rating System (was: what even are social noises round N+1)

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

Maybe? But that would be pretty long.

2. hyperfuck

hyperfuck they/them

is there a possibility that we could keep the detail where if we click to view the list of people who've rated a post, we can still see the icons next to their usernames? or could we maybe have the option to enable that sort of feature?

i'm a highly visual person and it's easier for me to socially function on interfaces where i can instantly recognize a user by their icon. a lot of times i don't recognize usernames, or cant make the connection behind a username and the person behind it, until i see their icon!

also: i agree w @autopsyblue: the text size is pretty small (even on desktop) and it's sort of difficult to read. although, i understand not wanting to make the rating feature too obtrusive, since it takes up more space now than just "Like".

the feature is useful in a bunch of ways and kind of cool, and here are my 2 accessibility-related cents :}

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

and guess what? i got a notification just now! yay!

thanks, @idiomie, for showing that the notifications do work!

4. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

IMG_1076.jpg
    YAY! SWEET VALIDATION!!! :D:D:D

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 2
  5. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I don't immediately see a way to do icons, it might be possible but could require non-trivial programming. As to font size: It looks to me the same as the other stuff like the quote/reply buttons? This may be browser-specific or something.

• Like x 1
  6. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

imo hugs if wanted works best as a coment though?

eta: because idk having it as a reaction feels to me very much like "im going to touch you and then ask if you want it"

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 2
  7. devian

devian Well-Known Member

Personally I think Hugs and Witnessed are kind of redundant as reactions, honestly? Hugging is basically "witnessed with additional comfort added", except hugging isn't going to be wanted in all situations and could easily make people uncomfortable even if you're not actively trying to abuse it.

What is the advantage of having a Hugs button, instead of just clicking Witnessed for the post itself and then doing the "hugs if wanted" dance as a comment? (Actual question, not trying to pass judgment on anyone who likes the button.)

edit for typo I noticed hours later

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 3
  8. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

Something more generic like "offers comfort" instead of hugs?

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 2
  9. Aqua Vitae

Oh, the bigger text on the buttons is nice.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Oh, text size being bigger makes that much more accessible, ty Seebs.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  11. devian

devian Well-Known Member

as a counterpoint, presented here for amusement value, I actually hate the increased font size and am now rooting around in the CSS to figure out how to put it back to how it was.

• Like x 2
  12. seebs

okay so lemme poke this a bit more, but it's all styles starting with dark_something. It set a bunch of font sizes to 11px, I just removed that.

13. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Re: "hugs"—what people are generally communicating by saying that online is pretty much just "I'm extending emotional support/comfort/sympathy towards you". So if the specific shorthand of offering hugs is too uncomfortable for a lot, the simplest answer might be to choose a new name that just says that more plainly? (Of course, that still leaves the issue of "but what's the best word to describe that"/"but the alternative sounded better to me"/"but that gives me a different connotation than it gives you", but I mean, there's no avoiding that anyway.)

• Like x 1
  14. Aqua Vitae

If you find a way to customize it, you should post directions for other people who also want to make it smaller again. :)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  15. seebs

Code:
    < .dark_postrating_detail { background: @contentBackground; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; color:@mutedTextColor; padding: 4px !important; }
    > .dark_postrating_detail { background: @contentBackground; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; color:@mutedTextColor; font-size: 11px; padding: 4px !important; }
    < .dark_postrating_member th { color: @mutedTextColor; }
    > .dark_postrating_member th { color: @mutedTextColor; font-size: 11px; }
    < .dark_postrating_inputlist { display: block; cursor: default; float: right; opacity: 1.0; -ms-filter:'alpha(opacity=100)'; filter:alpha(opacity=100) }
    > .dark_postrating_inputlist { display: block; cursor: default; float: right; opacity: 1.0; font-size: 11px; -ms-filter:'alpha(opacity=100)'; filter:alpha(opacity=100) }
    < .dark_postrating_outputlist { display: block; margin-left: 3px; float: left; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; color: @mutedTextColor; }
    > .dark_postrating_outputlist { display: block; margin-left: 3px; float: left; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; color: @mutedTextColor; font-size: 11px; }
    < .dark_postrating_thread_rating { float: right; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; color: @mutedTextColor; margin-left: 10px; }
    > .dark_postrating_thread_rating { float: right; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS',Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; color: @mutedTextColor; font-size: 11px; margin-left: 10px; }

• Useful x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
  16. devian

devian Well-Known Member

I doubt there's any way to do it via the forum itself, but the Stylish browser extension is magic and fixes all these problems if you can figure out the right CSS values to tweak. Which I sadly have not yet.

[edit] And Seebs's post appears right after I say that, of course :P thank you seebs

• Like x 2
  17. hyperfuck

hyperfuck they/them

bigger text!!! lot easier to read, and i think it looks better formatting-wise, too. it balances out the post composition, imo. *happy forumgoer noises*

the icon thing makes sense. thank you for hearing and acknowledging my request! :)

• Like x 2
  18. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

A+ idea, glad to see it. Now I don't have to worry about whether 'like' conveys the wrong impression.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  19. seebs

Unfortunately, styles have a hierarchy, so we can't make style-preferences which would do things like "turn this feature on or off, independent of color choices".

20. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I want to use the hugs option on every picture of a cute animal tbh

• Agree x 13
    • Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice