Rating System (was: what even are social noises round N+1)

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Mar 31, 2017.

1. coldstars

coldstars get Jazzy on it

@applechime Your time is here. Your time is now

• Like x 15
    • Agree x 3
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

i have a hugs option now hell yes

• Like x 6
  3. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Maybe change "hugs" to "comfort"? My friends and I sometimes go *comfort* instead of *hugs* sometimes.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  4. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Otherwise, I like the rating things! I may use like as a catch all when I'm not sure the other options will fit...

• Agree x 1
  5. shmeed

shmeed plant me

some threads now have this on them
    lkjsfdal.png
    what is this, what does it mean
    i think it's part of this update, i don't remember it from before

• Agree x 1
  6. devian

devian Well-Known Member

I think it's "number of likes the first post of the thread has received"?

Because you've always been able to see that when you hover over the replies/views for the thread, and the numbers there seem to match the numbers that show up next to the thread now.

But yes it is new, so presumably it was caused by this add-on.

• Like x 2
  7. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

yeah. and interestingly, that one appears to unconditionally use the icon, even if there isn't one. I haven't figured out where that's actually coming from.

EDIT: Found it, sort of, still not sure how it ends up in the list but I can fix it anyway.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

It doesn't seem to correspond to whether I've posted in a thread, been pinged in a thread, or the number of accounts I follow that have posted in it.

There's some common numbers between # of likes the original post of the thread got, but I can see a few threads in the first page of General Chatter where the first post has likes, but there's no x# on the thread. :|a

• Like x 2
  9. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

i rise............. i deliver The Hugs...........

• Like x 12
    • Agree x 1
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I dunno if Seebs is sciencing behind the scenes, but notifications seem to be a bit wonky for non-Like ratings. I got a "witnessed" rating earlier and got an alert, but got a "funny" one just now and didn't.

• Like x 1
  11. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

I got a ton of likes on my picture of Jasper but didn't get notified for anything. Or a reply to the thread

12. Yeah, it being the same size as the Reply was making it hard to navigate for me for some reason. May just be brain bugs.

13. Savriti

Savriti Professional Lurker

To weigh in on the Informative/Useful and Hugs debate, I think that Hugs can be done without, since we have 'Witnessed', with a post made to ask permission on that. And I'm not seeing the distinction between Informative and Useful, so one of those could also be done without.

• Agree x 2
  14. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

i know so much useless random shit that i very much think that informative and useful are tremendously distinct and with enough nuance that i think it'd be worth having the two - a lengthy post on the history of fibercrafts could be informative but not useful, a terse instruction to check a site could be useful but not in and of itself informative. brainbugs make specificity yay

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  15. supersneaky

supersneaky Member

witnessed and hugs have completely different connotations for me. agree that hugs could maybe be replaced with some more generic word for comfort that maybe doesn't imply physical contact to people who arent up for that, but hugs could be used with a lighter tone than witnessed, which i associate with death/traumatic events/etc. theres some overlap, probably, but i wouldnt witness a bunch of adorable cat pictures - i would hug them, though.

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. devian

devian Well-Known Member

I think there's a valid difference between Informative and Useful, but also that realistically, in terms of reacting to forum posts, most of the time they're going to come out to the same thing. So I'm not sure the difference is enough to be worth having both.

The question is really, is the point of the rating system to make sure there's an option for all possible reactions to a post, or just to provide enough options that people aren't stuck picking inappropriate responses? Because I think the first case is a bad idea, because it'll get unwieldy really fast, and in the second case, the Informative/Useful distinction isn't really necessary.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
  17. Savriti

But therein lies the issue with just changing it. If you do swap 'hugs' for 'comfort' or something, it no longer applies to cute animal pictures either.

18. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Pic of seebs behind the scenes messing with the site.

wireless-electricity.jpg

• Like x 18
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  19. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Well the like is still there.
    And I dunno does it make such a big difference if you type a tiny word or press a button? Isn´t the sentiment the same?

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  20. Savriti

For me personally? No, the sentiment isn't.

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice