==> Raven: Investigate Crater

Discussion in 'Kintsugi In Space' started by Captain Raven, Mar 11, 2017.

1. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

An interesting thing to note was that, until Nicole removed the cooler, the android's motherboard was beeping some Earth classical music.
    Their screen shut down for a split second, then displayed a test card.
    After a few seconds, said test card disappeared, and was replaced by some text:
    "Hi! Sorry, I think my speakers are busted. Where am I?"

2. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

"You're on the colony Kintsugi. You had a nasty FTL drive failure. Your ship...landed...a few kilometers from our colony. We hauled it back here. I fixed your cooler. Don't think the ship is salvageable, though."
    I stood back and look at the screen. Despite the damage, the test image is quite clear. "So I'm not quite done with repairs yet. You're going to be out of action for a few days."

3. palindromordnilap

((I'm gonna use regular quoted text for speech, so I'll change the text formatting for displayed messages.))
    Aww, and here I thought duct tape solved everything.
    :P

A few clicks came from the android's limbs.
    Yay, now it's not just my arms that are fucked. And I don't seem to be getting any input from the cameras, if they're even still there. Woohoo.

Oh well. Anyway, hi! I'm PAL. What's your name?

4. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

<I brought what's left of your ship back. Aside from the bits that were molten at the time.>

5. palindromordnilap

Thanks! I know it's a mess, but do you see a stereo optical camera in there? It should be embedded in the screen but it comes a bit loose sometimes.
    The camera was actually still there. Technically. One could see the bits of broken glass glittering in the two circular holes half-covered by the piece of metal firmly embedded in the screen.

6. Technicality

"I...do. Unfortunately, it's a bit broken. I can fix it, but it will take a few days.

7. palindromordnilap

Oh well. At least the wifi's still working, I'd get bored to death otherwise. :P

8. Technicality

"Alright. My name's Nicole, by the way. It's nice to meet you!"
    I set to work trying to fix the cameras, and generally repair PAL.

9. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Wing paused for a moment, then started trying to drag the ship remnants further into town where they could maybe be made into something useful. Without the antigravity, it didn't work.
    Sighing, Wing simply undid their makeshift harness and went to go see if anyone knew what to do with two tons of half-pancaked ship.

10. Technicality

((sorry for not responding earlier, I had stuff going on today. I think this thread's kinda wrapping up soon though))
    It took me a few days to finish up the repairs on PAL. I'd slowly anti-grav'd and moved the ship closer to the center of the colony, where I figured I could either set it up as a place for PAL to live; if it didn't want to live in it, I figured I could take it as a workshop and place to live. It was pretty roomy, and there was enough structure to make sure it didn't collapse. I'd broach the subject with PAL when I'd finished my final diagnostics.
    I got back to where PAL had been for the past few days. I had managed to fix the cameras, though the screen appeared to have trouble displaying things other than the test image. I made a note to look into that later.
    Walking through the hatch of the ship (I'd opened it up a bit more so I could stop ducking through the entrance as I went to look for parts), I rested my eyes upon the mostly repaired PAL. The limbs had to be replaced entirely, since they were heavily damaged and non-functional. So much was damaged that I'd offered to transfer the drives to a new body. But the droid had refused, saying that it liked this cobbled-together one. Whatever. I'd managed to fix the limbs with parts around the colony, and the cameras with parts ordered in. They were good cameras, too.
    PAL sat up. I'd made the room as nice as possible, since they had to spend all their time there. I'd shuffled around the utilitarian furniture to make it as comfortable as I could.
    "Hi, PAL. I'm gonna run the final diagnostics, then you're fine. I've got some things I want to talk about, though."

11. palindromordnilap

PAL would probably have blinked had they been able to. "Uh. Sure, why not, I guess?"

12. Technicality

"Okay. First, I was wondering if you planned to stay here, on Kintsugi. And if so, if you'd like to use this ship as your home."

13. palindromordnilap

"I'm... Not sure. I think I'm going to stay here for a while, at least. I'm not particularly attached to the ship... Or at least to what's left of it, so I'll try to see the other available places."

14. Technicality

"Okay. I was considering using it as my place. So if you're okay with that, I would like to use it. Is that alright?"

15. palindromordnilap

16. Technicality

"Cool. If that is all, and you're sure you don't want me to move your drives to a new frame, then I think we're done here." I started to look around and picture what I wanted to put where.

17. Technicality

"Oh, and one more thing I wanted to ask about. Can you tell me everything you remember? I didn't want to go digging around in your memory because that's rude."

18. palindromordnilap

"Depends, everything about what? Everything everything might be a bit too long, but if you're talking about what happened to the ship, it just kinda fell apart mid-jump, as far as I can tell. Not exactly surprising, honestly, I took it from a scrapyard and strapped in a drive core. There were no free jacks for temperature sensors on the ship so I had to keep those unplugged, I was planning to find a way to fix that right after that jump, actually. Oh well."

19. Technicality

"Alright. Well, this ship isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so I'm gonna make it into a workshop. I haven't been here very long either."
    I walk PAL out of the ship. It slowly follows me, unsteady on its new feet at first, but quickly managing to get the hang of it. As I step out of the ship, PAL follows me, and begins to walk away.
    I walk back inside, smiling a little. The room beeps around me, and my imagination takes flight as I look around, thinking of how to arrange my new home.
    "Now, where should I start?"

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice