Regional variation in words

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by seebs, May 21, 2015.

1. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

My grandparents call them frigidaires, after the brand.

• Like x 2
  2. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

I hear the word "icebox" occasionally used to refer to a tray or shelf at the top of a fridge where the temperature is lower (as opposed to a separate freezer).

• Like x 2
  3. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

My dad's parents occasionally call it an icebox - they're in their late 80s and grew up poor, so they didn't have mechanical refrigeration until after they got married, I think.

• Like x 1
  4. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

@palindromordnilap same, my grandma always called it a frigidair and I catch my mom and myself calling it that sometimes, too

• Like x 1
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

My grandma calls it "the refridge" and it grates across my soul. :::PPP

• Like x 2
  6. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

That's horrible.
    If an icebox is anything for me, it'd be one of those big chest freezers roughly the size of a normal fridge lying on its side.

• Like x 3
  7. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Wait, frigidaire is a brand? All this time I just thought my mum was being silly when she called them that...

• Like x 1
  8. paintcat

Yeah, Frigidaire used to be to fridges as Kleenex is to facial tissue.

• Like x 2
  9. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

It's a synecdoche! :)

• Like x 1
  10. rje

rje here comes the sun

I was raised by my rural southern indiana/kentucky grandparents and thus picked up a lot of old fashioned terms that nobody else my age group said
    - britches for pants, dad was always telling me to hurry up and get my britches on cos I was a slow dresser lol
    - frigidaire like others have said
    - using 'a ways' as a term for distance("he lives a ways down the hill", "we're still a ways away from home") yes, a ways away :p
    - down yonder was a distance measurement too
    - the one that got me the most looks tho was 'you'ns' (plural term like y'all but not plural singular i don't think) my grandma was from Appalachia country, i loved her accent

• Like x 2
  11. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I do that one.

• Like x 2
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

They also used to say fix instead of cook, like "i'll fix us some supper" and said drawers ( pronounced draws or drowers with no inbetween) instead of underpants.

Also! I remembered something ive gotten in many a lighthearted arguments with when talking to people from other places than me, do you pronounce the law in lawyer as law or loi? So far results have been pretty evenly split

13. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

it's not a water fountain here, it's a bubbler

• Like x 3
  14. kmoss

kmoss whoops

YES

• Like x 2
  15. paintcat

I think around here people say loy-yer. I'm a nerd though so I consciously try to say it the way it's spelled.
    Actually in practice I say "attorney" because there are lots of them at my work and that's what they call themselves :P

• Like x 2
  16. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

'Loi' I think is standard Aussie pronunciation. And it's definitely a bubbler. Meals are brekky, lunch, and tea (dinner if you're around people who will think you're offering them actual tea). Oh, and -- sweet dessert wine is 'sticky'. I have to know if that last one is just my parents or is an Actual Thing.

• Like x 1
  17. paintcat

I've never heard dessert wine called 'sticky'! Champagne and other effervescent wines are sometimes 'bubbly,' but that's it.

• Like x 2
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ive heard bubbly before, but only on tv

19. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Distinct things to me! An icebox is a trunk freezer or, even more distinctly, a non-electric freezer that you actually put ice in. Never a fridge or anything that doesn't freeze.

Somewhere in the middle?

20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Is that the one where it kinda sounds like your saying liar cause that cracks me up whenever i hear it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice