Regional variation in words

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by seebs, May 21, 2015.

1. Rooks

Rooks How Lost Are You on a Scale of 1-10? ... Zoro.

See that's what I thought a bubbler was, but in parts of Wisconsin they use the worn bubbler for a drinking fountain.

2. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I thought it was a type of pipe.

3. kmoss

kmoss whoops

ok that's because that's what a bubbler is

#wisconsin

• Like x 4
  4. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I know it as a kind of bong. is that a southern thing?

• Like x 3
  5. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I guess so! I was thinking about the pipes that hold water but aren't quite bongs, but weed slang isn't good at consistency, so.

6. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i watch an australian youtuber and she always says as like, a segue, "so, how did i go?" as a way of saying how did it turn out? which just sounds wrong to me, ive only ever heard it as "so, how did i do?" or "so, how did it go?"

7. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

(Annika Victoria? I love her :D ) yeah, it sounds weird to me too, I assume it's an Australian thing but idk.

• Like x 1
  8. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

so i saw a tumblr post the other day that said going 'oop' when you bump into things is apparently a southern thing; i moved to seattle a couple years ago, but i'm really bad at noticing when people Don't Use Vernacular I'm Used To, so does anyone know if this is true??? :0

9. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

We do the thing here in PA, but southeast PA is apparently Almost Appalachia so who knows :P

• Like x 1
  10. Carnivorous Moogle

i'm also curious as to how common 'i was fixing to say' and variations are outside the south; i don't think i remember any one instance of actually hearing someone say it in seattle, but it's also kind of white noise to me so i legit can't tell if my brain just edits it out or what. :0

also it throws me for a loop every time someone here refers to inanimate objects as 'this guy' or 'these guys,' because i had never actually heard that usage in my life up until i moved here. it is Weird

11. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I hear oop a lot in CA? Like the s in oops is barely there, or dropped entirely. Or "oot" with a t instead of a p.

• Like x 1
  12. Carnivorous Moogle

huh, interesting! it's really fascinating to me how specific, noticeable patterns of speech and culture manage to end up in such different places. (it also gives my heart some measure of satisfaction just because people where i grew up tended to be SO OBNOXIOUS about 'HAY Y'ALL THIS HERE'S THE SOUTHERN PARTS')

huh!! that's interesting, i don't think i've heard the 'oot' variant before!

13. Loq

"Fixing to" is one of the things I lose up here, though I do drag it back north with me whenever I go down NC way to visit family for a while :P
    "This/these [adjective] [insult or term of endearment depending on mood]" for inanimate objects is totally a thing, though I can't say I've ever just used "guy(s)" for the phrase. "Little guy(s)," maybe, but not just the plain noun.

• Like x 1
  14. Loq

I mean admittedly a chunk of my family does live down Virginia way or farther south along the seaboard so I've probably absorbed some of it from them, but the family I actually live with is indeed mostly Pennsylvanian! (Or proper North Appalachian, if you consider the Poconos part of the Appalachia range. eta: pbbbt I am Bad at geography the Poconos are actually Allegheny, not Appalachia proper.)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    • Like x 1
  15. eddie

eddie ...

What would you guys call the familial decision to eat leftovers or individual meals rather than a group meal together?

Boyfriend's family calls it "fend", short for "fend for yourself"; my family calls it "nitpick night" (the derivative of this is lost to the sands of time, it makes no sense to me in a grammatical literal context).

• Like x 1
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Mine used the full "fend for yourself."

Or "Dad's cooking tonight."

• Like x 3
  17. Carnivorous Moogle

my family's name for it has always been "grab it'n'growl" :P

18. Loq

"Fending (for yourself)"

• Like x 1
  19. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

my family sometimes called the leftovers themselves 'srevotfel'. yes, it is 'leftovers' backwards. no, i don't know where it came from. there wasnt any specific word for the decision though.

• Like x 2
  20. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

"Fending for yourself" in my family too. Depending on how many leftovers we have, it's also been referred to as "scrounging" (as in: "let's just scrounge for dinner.")

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice