Regional variation in words

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by seebs, May 21, 2015.

1. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

No specific term in my family due to, uh, we seemed to do that nearly all the time? So at least one person making their own food or having dinner later was just normal lol

2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Resteessen (lit. eating leftovers), or Rührei (scrambled eggs -- kind of a family tradition that hails from my parent's university years, take the leftovers from the weak, put them in a bowl, add eggs, add spices, and dump it all into a big pan.)

• Like x 1
  3. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

We call them "fend for yourself nights." "Grab it and growl" is when the meal is cooked but you're expected to fix your own plate. (We don't eat meals as a group much, but grandma usually cooks dinner for everyone.) "Scrounging" or "snack tracking" is when it's not dinner and you check several places for food and/or cobble together a meal out of various snacks.

4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Fending and scrounging are used interchangeably by my parents.

• Agree x 1
  5. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

"scavenging" and simply "leftover night" for me!

6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Does anyone else use the word chickenshit to describe a coward or hypocrite?

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
  7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Yeah, I've used it and heard it for most of my life.

• Agree x 12
    • Like x 2
  8. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

My parents call breakfast pastries (like croissants and danishes) "grunkies" and I have never encountered anyone else who does this. Is this a Thing? Where does it come from?

(I kind of suspect that it's a My Parents Thing. They call little kids "chebarbs", which I thought for a long time was some sort of corruption of "chavo" or "chey", but it turns out that my grandma just didn't know how to say "cherub" and it stuck.)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like x 1
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’ve heard it a fair bit, but come to think of it, idk that I’ve heard it IRL!

• Like x 1
  10. Acey

Also, old post, but we call it “catching” in my family for some reason! (E.g. “What’s for dinner?” “Oh, we’re just gonna catch tonight.”)

• Informative x 1
  11. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

For us it's scrounging!

• Agree x 3
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Quick poll: is the color spelled gray or grey?

Edit: for me its usually grey because my brain thinks it looks prettier? Also it feels softer

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

imo both, just depends on which key I hit/which letter I write first, but in school I got corrected to gray :T The rule I learned was 'a' for American spelling, 'e' for English British spelling.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  14. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

It's grey because it looks prettier fuck you America.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

I spell grey because like you said it's prettier and softer, and 'gray' is just ugly as hell in my brainmouth for some reason. It's... bloated. But if I go any farther into word-brain-associations I will never shut up so I stop here.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  16. Aondeug

Gray is the color of a waterlogged corpse. Grey is the color of a pleasant misty morning.

• Agree x 5
    • Informative x 1
  17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Gräy. I live in dysgraphia.
    (Seriously: Either because I was taught british englisch spelling in school but read US englisch books my dad had )

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. Acey

I tend to go with “gray” solely because It Is The American Spelling And Using The British Spelling Feels Wrong, but “grey” is INFINITELY prettier...a Dilemma :/

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  19. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I like the way "gray" feels better, it is a more... Gray word. "Grey" just feels pretentious, like a crumbling old manor house, whereas "gray" is a tired factory town where the jobs are disappearing, and I tend to be more interested in the latter.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  20. Aondeug

but where else will i throw my wineglasses to the floor and be a dramatic basic ass bitch vamp but in a crumbling old manor D:

• Agree x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice