Regional variation in words

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by seebs, May 21, 2015.

1. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Observation thus far: Grey and Gray are two different colours and how you spell it is determined by which colour you are talking about. This is how I shall treat it from now on. Which I already did, but it is good to know this is not an entirely isolated and insane way of treating it.

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Look you can have your crumbling manor house wine glass smashing vampires as long as I can have my abandoned amusement park biker gang vampires :P

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Pls be advised that in no way can i remember to spell even words widely taught to be different ones in the right variation each time and assume i mean one, both or either.

• Informative x 1
  4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’m from the town The Lost Boys was filmed in (well, near it), and yet I still need to watch it. :P

At least, I think that’s the one you were referring to?

5. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Oh, no, I do not mean to apply this ruling to anyone else, just to my own usage. I do not have any sort of... spellery power over anyone besides myself. You all do you.

6. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I was actually referring to my own OCs based on the lost boys concept, haha, but that is one of my favorite movies

Anyway yes the different spellings have different connotations to me, which is interesting given variations like color/colour and theater/theatre don't do anything but give the narration a vaguely Canadian accent in my mental voice.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Gray because I don’t want the regional spellchecker to be upset with me.

• Witnessed x 2
  8. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i think i first learned “grey” by reading books written in british english, or at least books where things like “colour” had been changed to “color” but “grey” had not been changed
    so my, like, 7 year old ass was furious when i found out it was supposed to be “gray” and i’ve spelled it with an e ever since out of spite

also i like how it looks/sounds in my head better. agree, it’s softer!

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  9. Verily

Slightly off topic but the German spelling of "English" is the most satisfying thing I have ever seen in my life.

Yes please more Englisch.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  10. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Grey is how i spell it, i havent bothered to figure out which one is the official canadian spelling

Edit: side note that i may have mentioned before, but whenever i have to say Lieutenant out loud, i remember the canadian way to say it by recalling the line "congrats to you, Loo-tenant Colonel" from Hamilton and then doing the opposite

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    • Informative x 2
  11. Verily

I spent such a long time wondering what weird British rank a leftenant was, heh.

I looked up the origin once because it strikes me as so odd, and I think it said something about that’s how the English misheard the French word, which makes zero sense to me. How would an f end up in there? I’m so confused.

• Like x 1
  12. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

It used to be spelled with things like leif and luff. This pronunciation stuck even after the spelling was changed, similar to how colonel works. There was a sort of reconvergence of pronunciation and spelling when it reached America though. It seems to be a mystery in some fashions though, namely how the fuck we got to the leif spelling at all. As for how it would be mistakenly heard that way, French has access to more vowels than English does and several nasals. It might have to do with that.

• Informative x 2
  13. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

Where I live, the word "coiled" is pronounced like qualled or quolled. It almost sounds like "cooled" but with more of a curve on the vowels

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. Acey

Oh, here’s one for y’all: what did you call the game most commonly known as “Rock, Paper, Scissors” as a kid?

Because in my pocket of NorCal (and from what I’ve read, pretty much ONLY in pockets of the SF Bay Area and my area), we called it “Ro-Sham-Bo”—presumably derived from “Rochambeau,” but no one is sure of why it got called that here.

I also read someone calling it “Scissors, Paper, Stone” in a book once in like, fifth grade, so I’m guessing there are other regional variations!

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. Aondeug

You people are fucking cursed. First hella and now this. It's rock, paper, scissors norcal. Get your shit together before we deem you another state.

• Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  16. Acey

I am 100% fine with NorCal and SoCal being different states tbh. There’s enough cultural differences that we pretty much already are!

What’s weird is that it’s apparently not all of NorCal? Just certain small pockets.

• Informative x 1
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

My dad called it jan-ken-pon because he spent a good chunk of adolescence in Hawaii. Northwest Oregon and Washington, it was the classic RPS, though.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Rock, paper, scissors over here.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

it's literally always rock-paper-scissors here

like, it having another name honestly never would've occurred to me if you hadn't mentioned it

i'm in canada, btw

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  20. Aondeug

Weeeeeeird.

really tho we are basically two entirely separate states but with like cultures that are consistent enough in our halves to be distinctly norcal or distinctly socal even if like you're in costa mesa vs i dunno west hollywood

This however is entirely acceptable to me. This may or may not be because I am biased in favor of Japanese.

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice