Reporting the mods

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by Athol Magarac, Oct 24, 2018.

1. seychel

seychel stubbornly

point of note, choice might be coming into it somewhere, as in, deliberately choosing to drink more and therefore become drunk.

• Agree x 5
  2. anonnymouse

anonnymouse New Member

Been watching and biting my tongue but this. I have an entire family of alcoholics and I use to be one: being a drunk does not make you a bigoted idiot. Likely pushing too hard when she's SAID she has other shit she feels that she has to deal with could literally cause her to shut-down completely. In her position if I had that many people flat out ignoring what I thought was important (Be it stupid ass racist idiocy or not) in an effort just to scream 'GO TO REHAB' it'd make me damn sure to never go to rehab. She needs to go to rehab, but if she doesn't do it on her own time. If she thinks it's ~just another trip to rehab~ she won't get better. Period. (This response is not me defending her not going to rehab, it's me saying that pressuring anyone into any kind of treatment like that in an adversarial environment will rarely go how you want it to. To her the hoarding is much more important than the alcohol, people have to accept that as the line.)

That would be the kind of thing she'd end up internalizing because it's pretty clear that all of you are on different conversations. I know it's hard with someone who is clearly digging a hole with the express intent to reach China, earth's core be damned, but she's not misunderstanding what is said here or not 'getting' it because she's an alcoholic. Not necessarily because she's drunk. Her being sober doesn't mean she'll get any better at 'getting' that what she says is racist / homophobic / awful quite often. She is, all on her own no alcohol needed, being an absolute idiot.

I'm a former alcoholic and all of this blaming-the-alcohol-not-the-crime is getting me REAL uncomfortable. All of the fucked up shit I said when I was drunk was still shit that I thought, and while thinking that shit I never even considered rehab or considered my drinking a problem even when I had all of my friends telling me it was a problem. I couldn't see it as a problem until I had therapy under my belt too, and shit if Athol can get into rehab and actually take to quitting that's great! I just grew up with way too many people whose experience with rehab was basically "see you again next week Paul". I personally was only able to quit when I didn't have a reason to drink (Mental health + Chronic pain + PTSD), rehab never helped me with any of that.

I'm quoting because this is said nicer than my angry "It's 100 degrees in here and I must scream." A lot of this also feels like a way for her to get the idea that she can blame everything shitty she's done on the alcohol.

• Agree x 8
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Totally believe choice is an element, but I have significant doubts if she recognizes it as such. She spent a lot of time trying to argue that it was my totally fault (for posting) that she was drinking heavily. It was a major element in all her self-hostage shit.

• Agree x 4
  4. seychel

seychel stubbornly

yeah it was about the bpd thing, I did not choose to be bpd but I can choose whether to drink or not.

• Agree x 5
  5. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Hm. Those are some good points, @anonnymouse. You too, @Jove. I'm just... I guess what I should have said is, what do you mean when you say you're not going to tolerate being treated like she treats Spock? The only responses I can think of that would be different from tolerating it (disengaging, say, or arguing) would also destroy your chances of helping. It seems... unproductive to offer Athol help if your offer's going to collapse as soon as she keeps acting the way she's been acting all along. Helping Athol seems like an activity that would require quite a lot of toleration.

• Agree x 3
  6. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

Not tolerating it means not allowing the conversation to continue until the harm done has been recognized and apologized for. Not engaging with topic shifts, self-deprecation, etc, imo.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  7. Jove

Jove [ destination defenestration ]

@TheSeer, what @Kathy Jones said pretty much exactly, and being mindful of my own boundaries for myself (re: not sacrificing my own health).

• Like x 3
  8. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

I got tired, and if you can't beat them, join them. This is what I was trying to get at when I said you were going off the deep end at me, but oh no you had to get all offended instead of stopping it.

9. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

That's fair and also understandable. I think most people who've been trying to engage with Athol have, by this point, started to burn out on compassion for them. All we have is what she types, yes, but what she types is words that don't indicate she's actually even paying attention to what other people say to her half the time. She has spent a lot of time arguing with people who wanted to help her learn to be less racist, over whether things she was being told are dogwhistles (or flat-out racist) were actually as bad as we were telling her they were. She is on post mod because she has not shown any indication that she can/will refrain from posting things that will be harmful to other users, even when told "hey, don't do that, that hurts people and this is why".

What we have gotten from Athol is a lot of abuse when we try and help her. And yes, alcoholism is a disease, but...being sick doesn't excuse the bigoted, hateful stuff she's thrown at people. At most, it explains why no one's managed to make any significant progress in helping her.

• Agree x 8
  10. spockandawe

Ah, there's the excuse

It would be great at some point if I could get some clarity on whether when I was "going off the deep end", you meant I was 1) having a meltdown, 2) sugar-coated, 3) like a boy afraid to call a girl who likes him back (????), or 4) assuming things about your motivations. Only that first one has anything to do with what you actually said, and going off the deep end has a perfectly understandable meaning in the first place, but I really want to see you come up with another explanation that contradicts the others and makes no sense. I'm collecting them.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
  11. Athol Magarac

You were severely making bad assumptions. Like, really several steps in to a bad assumption.

It's like how I assumed that the mods were trying to snub me when they missed my name change request.

12. spockandawe

The lack of self-awareness is stunning

In fact, i was responding to the assertions you were making and the incorrect history you were remembering about my actions and our private interactions, which I 100% expect you to ignore again, the same way you've ignored it every other time anyone brings it up.

13. Athol Magarac

You know, I'm not really in a state to go through things that are that wholeheartedly upsetting right now. So I am just going to maliciously ignore you just to get your dander up. /s

Were you the one that wiggled a statement that I don't understand whether or not it's okay to "something Jews&Hollywood" and it got wiggled for anti-semitism when it should have been for bad-faith question.

14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

No, she was talking about the bad assumptions she admitted making.

15. Athol Magarac

What I did once one of the mods explained was to accept that my assumption was wrong.

If I acted like the mods, I would have yelled at them for back-pedaling and insisted that my assumption was right.

16. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Okay, question: @Athol Magarac is you specific beef that Spock used the word "lying" (implying complete awareness and wilfully intent) when, from your perspective, the booze fueled, stress edited reality was completely correct (even though it was actually extremely warped)?

Please answer yes or no without amy attached rambling.

17. spockandawe

Ahh, that makes sense, thank you. I misunderstood her phrasing and that was my mistake.

Now, my next question is about the many other assumptions she made that are insulting and based on nothing at all and contradicted by provable facts. If she says I'm having a diva meltdown (or, assuming things about my state of mind) and I say no, I'm not, then she doesn't back down and say 'oh, i was mistaken', she doubles down on 'ummm I was PERCEIVING a diva meltdown, you can't tell me my perceptions were wrong.'

This is one case where she was willing to back down, but there's so much else where she refuses to be corrected, and those statements keep escalating. And correcting those statements about things that are untrue, again, hasn't gotten me concessions that she was mistaken, it gets me threats of self-harm.

She assumes mods aren't explaining things in the wiggler. She assumes mods don't have reasons for wiggling. She assumes mods are making up reasons. She assumes that if mods give her a reason, they're lying. She assumes that because I was in the wiggler more often then others, I'm persecuting her specifically and need a judicial review. She assumes that because some people were annoyed at her response to pronouns, *I* was getting extra pissy about it. She assumes that I mean X thing when I use a word, and refuses to acknowledge any corrections that no, I was talking about Y. Just yesterday, she assumed I was defining interactions-as-a-mod in a specific way and ignored my explanation that no, I was talking about a specific exchange.

She's acknowledged one bad assumption on her part. What about all the others. What about all the others that never got acknowledged even indirectly. I absolutely believe she's not doing this on purpose, because deliberate lies would be BETTER than what she comes up with. But I also believe she doesn't care at all about getting things right, even when shown how incorrect her memories are.

All the history is right here and very searchable. When she this aggressively uncommitted to checking the facts, despite getting them wrong over and over and over, that's a degree of disregard for the truth that I'm comfortable with calling lying.

• Agree x 5
    • Winner x 2
  18. Athol Magarac

Just to see which post I was complaining about when I started this thread.

19. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Only you and the mods can see that post.

• Agree x 3
  20. Athol Magarac

Yeah, thanks to your meddling I'm not going to even try to get things squared away with Etan.

I wasn't lying when I said that the mods refused to explain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice