Reporting the mods

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by Athol Magarac, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Also "but I didn't really mean it" is a terrible excuse for saying downright awful things.

• Agree x 15
  2. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

I opened it.
    I don't care.
    Answer my question.
    Yes or no. Just yes or no, nothing else.

• Witnessed x 1
  3. lex

lex + 0.2% luck

as you can see, she understood even in the moment that what she said was “vile”, she just didn’t care, and that’s the sticking point

(edited for wording)

• Agree x 5
  4. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Um, yes if I'm understanding the question right.

• Informative x 1
  5. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

Cool. Don't fucking do it then. Apologize for having done it. Make it clear that you recognize that it was a really bad and awful thing to do and it doesn't matter why you did it or what you were thinking, if you do actually understand.

6. Athol Magarac

It's something that I shouldn't have done, and if I could undo the past I would.

7. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

undoing the past is not a thing you can do
    understanding why what you did is wrong, is

• Agree x 6
  8. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

It's a good start. Now apologize for it, please. Just apologize. If you feel regret, say you feel regret. Do not catastrophize. Please actually demonstrate to us that you can do this.

9. Athol Magarac

I'm sorry for the bad thing I said to Spock. It was probably the worst doozy.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. Grief

Grief ...

Forgive me if I'm clouding the thread up, but I keep being reminded of this very insightful post written by Issendai on dysfunctional beliefs.

edit: also very relevant

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Agree x 4
    • Informative x 4
    • Winner x 1
  11. Athol Magarac

Interesting. I'm not the healthiest emotion-wise, but some of this seems close while other things are far-off.

"If I have an emotional reaction to something someone does, the other person is responsible for my emotions." Which, yeah. Why did they keep saying "you hurt people" as an excuse to not let me say things? Where does "provoke" come from?

Not really? "If I have an emotional reaction to something, then that something is my business." I mean, I guess it's situational? Isn't that the whole point of FIDrama?

This one is a threshold thing. "Emotions cause actions. When I feel something, I can’t not act on it. (Or, at least, it’s wrong not to act on it.)" That's why I was asking if Spock was human, to determine if they had the capacity to not hit the post button. But how hard can you push someone before adrenaline forces them to act? I'm trying to figure out how to expand on things without getting wiggled, so I'll try to come back to this.

12. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I just caught up with this and WHAT THE FUCK???

(Also if anyone needs to vent/talk/a hug, my PMs are open. This doesn't go for Athol)

• Witnessed x 8
  13. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

...athol

the entire point of that post is that all the things listed are dysfunctional beliefs...

• Agree x 11
  14. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Agree with TheOwlet, open PM's for anyone except Athol.

• Like x 1
  15. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Do you mean it seems close to how you feel, or it seems close to true, or something else? The intent is that every one of these beliefs is dysfunctional, which is to say, "false, bad, and probably dangerous to you and other people if you hold it".

I think this might depend on what you mean by "responsible for". In general, I don't think other people are morally-at-fault in my emotional reactions. But assume I'm not morally-at-fault for people's reactions when I say things -- it may still be useful to prevent me from saying things which result in those people feeling pain.

I think part of the point is to give people a way to talk about those things without imposing on other people as much.

In general, I would say, people are not forced to act by emotions. People may feel strongly like acting, but most of the time, with adults, we assume that under nearly all circumstances, people will be able to refrain from acting if they would disapprove of the action. None of the things that have happened involving you on this forum have been things that I would regard as severe enough that someone was "forced" to act.

From my perspective, your behavior has been dramatically more extreme than the behavior you've been responding to. You have consistently escalated by leaps and bounds. However, you have not done anything that I would say "forced" people to react. How people react to you is up to them.

• Agree x 2
  16. Athol Magarac

Yeah, still not getting it.

17. Grief

Grief ...

I wish the author had been more clear about that, but I'm pretty sure she means Responsible as in "Needs to comfort/deal with the reaction", not "was the cause of the reaction."

18. Athol Magarac

Could you say this part again in a different way? Or take it down to hindbrain stuff instead of morals? I'm thinking that emotions is a very primitive thing.

The rest of it...

Just yeah, not getting it. I do have a story, though.

One night, I was so upset about the PPC that I started screaming. This was at the height of waking up while standing in the kitchen. I managed to scream in such a way that it set off the glass-break alarm. So I push the button on the touch-screen to disable the ear-splitting noise. It didn't work and the screen started developing this weird organic rainbow pattern. In the morning, it turned out that I had somehow shattered the screen with a finger.

19. Athol Magarac

Oh hey, could we work with "cause" and whether or not believing that other people can cause a reaction is a harmful belief?

20. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice