RoosterTeeth Meta-Analysis

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by vegacoyote, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

Let's see, I've been into RvB since season 1? And I stopped at pretty much season 8, post season finale. I'm rewatching the original seasons on netflix currently, and I'm pretty much totally a red team fan ahaha. They do need more plot, though. I just kinda want to see them deal with the major serious side for once.

Who's everyone's fave character(s)? I pretty much stuck with RvB because of Grif and Tex.

2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

3. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I don't watch RvB but my fave RWBY character is Nora Valkyrie...

• Like x 1
  4. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

My favorite RvB characters are Tex and Caboose, and I also have a major soft spot for Delta.

I was waaay into RvB for a few seasons between when they started Doing Serious Thign and when they started relying heavily on action scenes. Haven't been able to keep up with it since they switched over to mostly custom animations, I'm kinda sensitive to body-language stuff and when they changed over it just kept being like... noooo, that's not them, that's not how they move. I also preferred the more dialog-driven plots. Weird how sometimes limitations make for more interesting art. Well, in my opinion anyway.

I think I have trouble following RWBY for about the same reasons. It looks pretty and fun but the poser animation hits me right in the uncanny valley feels and I can't concentrate like I'd like to. But I looooove their Minecraft and GTA let's plays, those are some good shiz. :D

• Like x 1
  5. chaoticArbiter

I followed RvB until....weird...shenanigans with a portal that confused the heck outta me.

their Minecraft let's plays are sooooooo good though. I love the GTA heist let's plays!

• Like x 3
  6. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Oh, god, I keep hoping they'll do more. Jeremy's or Matt's Heist or whatever. It's like the AHasta La Vista stuff, I really wouldn't mind just a month of nothing else.

(May be working on a board game inspired in no small part by their heist stuff.)

7. chaoticArbiter

....I could go for a month of nothing but that
    *perks up* board game?? I like board games! share more please? what is it about, what is the objective, how is it inspired by their heist stuff?

8. Helen of Boy

It's still very much in alpha. Or pre-alpha, honestly.

You start with a map of the city and plan out of the steps of a heist (number of required steps being related to number of players). As you do you create your characters, outlining their specialties (driver, demolitions, etc.) and their personal motives for going on the heist. One player, instead, outlines some of the things that you'll need to overcome and creates (and plays) the police department.

The goal of the criminals is to make a Clean Getaway with the loot, the goal of the police is to stop them. The more the crooks make a commotion, the more police pull onto the scene. When a criminal player dies they create a branch/station of the PD and rejoin play as one of the police.

Again, it's still pretty rough. Was originally half-way between a tabletop rpg and a board game, am moving it more in the board game direction because it's going to be a one-shot game at its heart and the board game half felt more solid in the playtests.

• Like x 2
  9. chaoticArbiter

that sounds really cool!! and I love the idea :D

10. Helen of Boy

Well, I will let y'all know if it's ever a thing that is actually functional to play.

11. chaoticArbiter

12. chaoticArbiter

I require the opinion of other RT fans on a thing.
    so I'm sure we all know that certain ships are encouraged by the AH/RT guys--like Mavin, as a great example, because Gavin and Michael used to do quite a bit to encourage those ships.
    if I ship them, but recognize the difference in reality and fiction and don't expect anything to happen and don't push what I like on them as 'this needs to happen', does that still make me shipping them wrong?
    someone said something that made me question whether or not I'm doing the right thing.
    I know it's weird to ship IRL people, but I think the reason it started with RT is because some of the guys encourage it, so somehow that made it seem...less weird, to ship those particular people?
    I dunno. am I wrong? is it still weird/wrong to ship real people even if those people encourage the ships and stuff and are comfortable with it?

• Like x 2
  13. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

I unno, like I said before it weirds me out some, but I do think it makes a difference that the guys encourage it. And there is a kind of blurry space where the personas they present on AH/in their various shows are kind of exaggerated caricatures of themselves to the point of being characters in their own right.

I think, in the end... shippers gonna ship, yo. I think just try not to be creepy about it, respect the personal boundaries performers set- like if someone says "Hey don't do (thing) it makes me uncomfortable" then don't do (thing)- and you're probably good. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    • Like x 1
  14. chaoticArbiter

yeah, I mean, it's partly that they present themselves in personas in the show that I'm pretty sure are not their whole personas IRL--so they're almost characters in their own right, like you said--and it's partly that they encourage it. those together make it seem less weird to me? but I'm not so much worried about it weirding people out (I do enough of that already and don't care if I do more) as it being flat-out wrong, which is what this person said. and I guess it hit me kinda hard because I respect this person a lot?
    but yeah, you make a good point. as long as I'm not like "yes now kiss" because these are -real people- we're dealing with, and as long as I respect personal boundaries (like Ryan and Geoff not wanting their kids included in anything ever) then I guess it's not so bad?
    I dunno. I just can't help worrying now.

• Like x 2
  15. Helen of Boy

I dunno, I think "Fight, fight, fight! Kiss, kiss, kiss!" is a pretty big RT meme.

You're fine. They're not the sort to avoid talking shit about creepy fan stuff, and they've been clear about what is or is not okay (doing it in person, involving kids, etc.). It's very different from a lot of real person shipping because of that and the "they're almost characters themselves when on-air" thing noted already.

As me Da used to say: "All generalizations are awful."

~~~~~

On another note, I don't wanna be the jerk who does the "no, you should watch it even though you've said you don't like it" thing, but if Season 9 or 10 weren't your thing, 11 through 13 feel a lot more like the earlier seasons in many ways. Not entirely, and depending on the issue in question they don't necessarily get better, but 11 was designed as an entry point for new viewers so it shouldn't be hard to pick things up from there if that was something you want to do. And if not, there's no need to or harm in not doing so, I don't wanna pressure folks so much as just... provide that information, I guess, for anyone that would like it but not know already?

There's some building on some of the stuff that happened, but the whole Freelancer flashback stuff is over and done with, the tenth season in particular feels a lot more like Blood Gulch than most things since have, and there are some new characters that are introduced well enough. While there's still some action, and more of it with each season, it retains the comedy during serious stuff better than I feel 9 or 10 did.

You get to see Grif in command of a squad for a bit, Caboose makes a new Robot Friend, Lopez is a character that sticks around and matters, and there are cameos from some of the Achievement Hunters (Ryan in particular).

• Like x 2
  16. Helen of Boy

Also, the most recent GTA V LP has them discussing Jamie Clayton (a transwoman currently dating Keanu Reeves) briefly. It was a bit cringeworthy, but was also clear they weren't trying to be offensive and were, in fact, trying to be positive. I found it a bit awkward but easy enough to handle, but wanted to forewarn anyone who might have a more visceral negative reaction to very brief discussion of genitalia. Didn't think to note this for folks until after, so I forget where in the video it is if anyone would want to skip it.

Honestly, I don't much care that they fucked up a bit in how they were talking, because the general sense of "may not know any better, but do care, and aren't weirded out or saying things they need to bleep out" was actually quite positive up until I started writing this and now I'm more worried even though I think it was fine?

• Like x 1
  17. chaoticArbiter

yeah. those are all fair points.
    and I guess it's a little dumb of me to let someone ruin my fun. I don't feel like I'm overstepping any boundaries, and I think if I did then someone would be pretty quick to point it out, either in fandom or otherwise.
    so I think with that in mind, I shall continue to do my shipping, as long as I remain within the appropriate boundaries and don't forget that these are real people with their own lives and the like.

and I loooooooove the "Fight, fight, fight! Kiss, kiss, kiss" meme oh my god you have no idea

----------------

as far as RvB goes, I might try the later seasons, then, because I was p fond of the early stuff, it was just the later seasons that I was like "ehhhhhhhhh."
    also Ryan cameo. Ryan. my favorite AH guy. yes.
    thanks for that heads-up about the GTA V let's play. I'm gonna have to watch that now though, see what I think, out of curiosity.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice