ROSES EVERYWHERE (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Hart, Jun 28, 2015.

1. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

So I'm finally watching more of Utena and I'm on the 12th episode and just got to the scene of Touga creeping on Utena and Wakaba getting more and more upset and -

wow. That's a pretty clear parallel to last episode, huh. Wonder if it'll lead to Utena figuring out some of Anthy's situation... and of course, Anthy is the one who gets the majority of the anger/water, because Touga moved out of the way and let her get hit, and. Wow that's some victim blaming. Though it's blaming Anthy that works Utena up - and even then, she actually attacks Wakaba. Very interesting.

• Like x 6
  2. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

Wakaba is the Best Girl, this is canon indisputable fact.

• Like x 7
  3. Rongeur

4. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

So there is this theory that Kanae was a duelist in the pervious round, but instead she became Akio's Princess, and I kinda love it

• Like x 9
  5. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

Oh god, that's terrible, I love it.

• Like x 5
  6. Rongeur

Oh that's awful.

• Like x 3
  7. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

oh fuck.

• Like x 4
  8. Rongeur

Dreamt half a plot for an Utena fic last night. The central idea was Akio having a flash of insecurity (I think Utena asked him a straight-up factual question that he didn't know the answer to, and he had to BS her away from the topic) and then playing it off in classic :narcissist: fashion by projecting his flaws onto everyone around him and undermining their self-esteem until he felt superior again by comparison. There was a scene where he was having a the-masks-are-off, we-both-know-what's-what type discussion with Anthy about the duelists, and he said something like "You know they don't exactly want you for your brains". It was pretty interesting - basically an exploration of Akio being a fucked up prick in a very unpolished, human way.

• Like x 4
  9. KarrinBlue

I finished watching the anime! It was good, and when I rewatch Princess Tutu next I'll have to think about how they compare. I definitely spotted similarities between the two, in terms of visual motifs (the fairytale at the beginning of episodes, some of Tutu's lighting and art is deliberately made to look fake and how that might relate to some spoilery parts of Utena, the Prince and the Princess and the Witch) and I think Tutu came out a few years later so it was almost certainly deliberate.

• Like x 5
  10. KarrinBlue

Incidentally, I checked, and Anthy actually cuts her hair from unreasonable floor-length to, well, what we see when she leaves the school at some point! that's probably symbolic of something, new beginnings, casting off markers of princesshood, idk.

• Like x 4
  11. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

revives this thread to let you all know that i just watched the utena movie, and i feel like my brain went to hell

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Winner x 1
  12. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

what, you don't think it made perfect narrative and symbolic sense? ::P /s

• Winner x 1
  13. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

I think it was narratively coherent for the first half and then it was like ikuhara took a running leap into nonsensical hell around the time

shiori sprouted bedsheet wings
    Or about cow nanami which is the singular mention of her

I will say that the dub I watched had really really good voice acting at times

• Like x 1
  14. Rafi

Rafi x-men is gay and i can prove it: a thesis

I still haven't watched the movie, or finished Utena itself, god. I was watching with a friend who stopped being comfortable with it for various reasons (not, actually, related to the super fucked up plot elements) and I really want to get back into it but have a much harder time watching things alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice