Ryuuga Wagatekiwo Kurau - The Overwatch Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by KingStarscream, May 26, 2016.

1. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

2. Gyro Zeppeli

Gyro Zeppeli Pseudo Anti Cult Leader

What a fucking dumb idea for a hero. Like, I'm sorry, but that's just shark jumping to the point of killing my interest in the game atm.

3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

omfg a hamster is the new hero

I am not sure what to think about that. Just omfg a hamster is the new hero what.

• Agree x 1
  4. KingStarscream

So he does have four active abilities--by default, his slam down attack is bound to Left Ctrl, which is a bad handfeel for me, but ymmv. It also doesn't work unless he's at least a couple meters in the air, so you have to either swing yourself up, be knocked up by a concussion mine, or jump from on high to use it at all which is :/ (10 seconds CD)

His grapple is on the Right MB, and it's a hold-click like Rein's shield. If you unclick or jump, it goes on cooldown (5 seconds); you can use it to swing yourself into people but you have a really hard time swinging yourself up, so it's not a great ability for around edges since it's really easy to be a dipshit and send yourself flying off into the abyss. (Counterpoint: I am seeing a future of Hammond Tetherball custom game servers, and I'm kind of into it.)

His rollout is on shift, (1 second CD) but can also be activated by using his grappling hook. Feels good to move in, but has no offensive ability outside of using your grapple to swing yourself into people, which can be inconsistent. The shields ability is tempshields a la Doomfist or Lucio ult, and last rrrroughly 6 seconds? The CD is 15 seconds.

His guns don't do a whole hell of a lot of damage, but I'm very :/ about him being able to move at regular speed while shooting them; it doesn't feel consistent with Orisa and D.Va, and since he's already got a movement ability, I'm hoping that gets changed.

His ult is dropping a minefield. The mines can be destroyed (I think they have about 30 health?) and seem to last indefinitely, but the size is a bit smaller than Mei's ult. They do a shitload of damage if you walk into them tho.

Overall he... doesn't feel like a tank? Definitely an offtank, but he's not a great damage soak, has no real damage mitigation abilities, and his playstyle encourages rushing in and out without having any of the verticality of dive. He'll work great as a distraction, but I'm not sure how much use he'll actually get once the shiny wears off. Also I still think that hamster ball is a dumb hero concept, and I'm holding out hope for Junker Queen come November.

5. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

6. Gyro Zeppeli

Gyro Zeppeli Pseudo Anti Cult Leader

Hey on the plus side, he might end up so garbo that he never shows up in games much after release

7. I just wanna stop in to say my sister is shipping the hamster and I hate my life a lot

• Witnessed x 2
  8. chthonicfatigue

Will someone please explain how I just got gold healing with 76 when there was a Mercy and a Zenyatta on the team.

I'm super fucking confused.

• Witnessed x 4
  9. Aondeug

Neither of those bumblefucks were doing their damn jobs. Which isn't surprising for a Zenyatta because finding that asshole healing is rare in my experience, but a Mercy??? What the fuck.

• Agree x 2
  10. KingStarscream

dps mercy main btw

• Like x 1
  11. Aondeug

i do that shit in arena death match mode but i mean

a game game????

12. chthonicfatigue

We had a squishy Junkrat too, which makes me think maybe I was the only person keeping them alive.

Also I've played a lot of hours of Zenyatta and *slinks into the corner* it's true we can get overzealous on shredding people with them orbs

13. anthers

anthers sleepy

I'm watching OWL stage one over again and you know if Blizzard wants to hold gamers who aren't used to it to such high standards, they should like. Give them some social media training. I'm not talking about the guy who said the n-slur or the guy who was predating on 14 year olds, n.b, I mean like the guy from the London Spitfire who got fined 3k usd because he flipped off the camera.

• Agree x 1
  14. KingStarscream

YEAH DVA LORE!!!!

• Agree x 6
  15. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

i love how the overwatch team has embraced d'va's gremlin side and given her a love of doritos and energy drinks

• Agree x 2
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Some assorted comments from me and my sibling:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    • Like x 1
  17. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Busan. Busan. Just how fucked did Korea get by the Omnic war? I mean, I know it was bad, but unless the remnants were coming from Japan, or taking a really long way around, for Busan to be on the front...

That was... not something I expected, but it's a pleasant surprise. One of the people I follow on Tumblr was criticizing Blizzard for trying to make a joke character dramatic, contrasting OW unfavorably to TF2. But I feel that misses the point of how Overwatch's lore is constructed, which is that it's a kind of two level metanarrative? TF2's 'lore' is essentially an extended joke about how weird multiplayer arenas are (at least until it, too, developed a plot), but the Overwatch game is essentially a pre-made 'filter' over a more traditional comic book narrative. I believe Blizzard compared the game itself to play-fighting with action figures? IOW, the characters as presented in game are deliberately pre-flanderized versions of the 'real' A-canon characters. Which I think works well, as it handles the silliness of gameplay well and inobtrusively, while also allowing people who like to obsess over DEEPEST LORE to... do that. (Heck, Overwatch is very much Not My Kind of Game and I think the setting is interesting.)
    The fact that this was made in response to a short which specifically referenced a similar kind of double-imagery in universe was just additionally amusing.

Speaking of similar levels of not understanding the Gameplay/Story seperation, it nicely debunks this guy found on Reddit a while back arguing 'no it totally makes sense that the mech's blasters are low damage because reasons'...

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Yes, the fascinating thing about Overwatch is that the game itself is CANONICALLY NON-CANON. It is self-consciously a game and is NOT meant to be a representation of the reality of these characters.

• Like x 2
  19. KingStarscream

• Winner x 2
  20. KingStarscream

She's a DPS hero with a rifle a lot like Widowmakers, it seems--semi-auto spray and pray mode when not scoped in, single precise shots when she is.

Dynamite is a damage-over-time, and she's got a rocket-jump mobility/CC ability that moves both her and others, like Pharah's concussion mine.

Her ult is B.O.B., who does a Reinhardt charge forward, shoots like a turret for a couple seconds, and then launches away again. It's gonna be real interesting to see that in action--for instance, can BOB clear out a Hammond mine field without anyone else taking damage? I AM. INTRIGUED.

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice