Ryuuga Wagatekiwo Kurau - The Overwatch Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by KingStarscream, May 26, 2016.

1. Gyro Zeppeli

Gyro Zeppeli Pseudo Anti Cult Leader

I wish he was just a ball/walker omnic a la bastion tbh. I don’t mind anything about him outside of the Hamster bit. In general, cutesy mascot characters piss me the hell off.

• Agree x 1
  2. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

Eh, I feel like the intelligent animals aspect of Overwatch isn't done super well but I was interested to see someone who was an animal besides Winston. I like Winston and as a character his existence seems lonely and isolating without anyone comparable. That's probably looking at it a bit too seriously tho lol

3. Gyro Zeppeli

Gyro Zeppeli Pseudo Anti Cult Leader

I don't mind the intelligent animals aspect in general - I actually like Winston a good amount - I'm pretty strictly anti "Cute little animal with big guns mascot archetype", like the proposed Jetpack Cat hero.

• Informative x 1
  4. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

I have an SI in rodents so I don't mind Hammond but I sort of get it. (But I would've preferred, like, a rat.) Right now Hammond doesn't get a ton of personality though and I hope they change that.

5. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I think that is a lot of my problem with Hammond, he comes across as a joke taken too far rather than a fully fleshed out character.

• Agree x 6
  6. Morven

One thing that's pissing me off about the online reaction to Ashe is how again it's proving it's OK to say anything misogynistic you like as long as you target it at WHITE WOMEN.

• Agree x 1
  7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

8. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Also new Ana skin eventually that I am so hype for

• Agree x 1
  9. hmm.

as someone who literally only plays tf2, as far as shooters go, should I try to get into overwatch? or no?

10. garden

garden lucid dreamer

same hat -- the only shooter i ever played before playing overwatch was tf2. i think you'd probably enjoy it!

11. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

As a person who never played shooters b4 overwatch, I think you'll be fine

Also
    [​IMG]

• Like x 4
  12. Teach me the ways of the overwatch, fellow gamers

also I know I'm a bit late but congratulations on Soldier 76 being gay, more representation is always good and I hope more heroes will join him and Tracer soon.

• Agree x 1
  13. KingStarscream

Depending on who you played in TF2, there’s a couple heroes you might want to start with.

Regular Sniper maps to Widowmaker and Ashe pretty well, but Huntsman Sniper is more like Hanzo.

Minisentries Engineer hits the feel of current!Torbjorn fairly well.

Heavy can map onto Orisa or Bastion depending on how you played him.

Scout doesn’t have a perfect match—Genji is pretty fast and has doublejump, Tracer is dive-in-dive-out, Ashe could match decently close... Soldier’s not a bad pick too, but none of them have quite the heft of his shotguns. Roadhog’s slow, but he’s got power behind his shots.

Mei or Symmetra is your Pyro counterpart, Mei especially.

Junkrat and Demoman could be twinsies; Reinhardt matches to Demoknight fairly well.

Sombra has the stealth and the hacking aspects of Spy, but no disguises and no OHKO backstabs. She’s definitely the one for Psy players though.

Depending on how you played him, Moira and Mercy are both good Medic analogues. If you’re learning maps and positioning, all the supports are good for that—since your focus is on healing teammates and following them, it makes it easier to grasp the flow of battle when you’re just starting out.

Pharah is the direct Soldier counterpart, but she plays more like a stickyjumping Demoman imo.

Things to keep in mind: Overwatch tends to be much faster paced and more movement based than a lot of shooters, TF2 included. People float a little more, and models bounce more than TF2 did—the tradeoff is that you don’t end up dragging through hour long sorties. The maps aren’t as large, I don’t think? They don’t feel as large, at least. Ult economy and cooldowns are something to keep in mind, but you’ll get the hang of them as you play more.

Most importantly, if you’re not having fun on a character, switch! If you hate how they play or keep feeling like you’re being hard countered, switch! It’s got MOBA elements, but swapping characters is intrinsic to the design of the game—especially as you’re starting out, play everyone and try anything, just to see what you like. A lot of characters have very specific playstyles; if you want to test them out without guilt, Mystery Heroes in the Arcade is a good mode to dick around in because RNG keeps us all humble.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  14. thank you, that's very helpful. question- can you buy specific skins, or only lootboxes?

15. KingStarscream

With Real Money (tm) you can buy lootboxes and Overwatch League tokens; OWL tokens can be used to buy team-specific base skin recolors. You can’t buy credits yet in the US, those only drop from lootboxes (as both an item and as a compensation for pulling duplicates) and those are what you use to buy all non-OWL skins, emotes, etc.

You do get lootboxes at every level, and you can get three extra a week by winning nine games in the Arcade mode—imo, its not worth it to buy them, and with any luck, you’ll get the items you want out of lootboxes fairly early on.

• Informative x 1
  16. Morven

I generally get a level each evening session, so you get quite a few.

I second playing Arcade modes to learn characters. Less tryharding, less pressure.

• Like x 1
  17. Okay, one last question. Ships?

18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Last I checked, the biggest ones are Pharah/Mercy, McCree/Hanzo, Reaper/Soldier 76, and Tracer/Widowmaker. That said, Overwatch has probably the most overwhelmingly gay shipping scene I've ever seen for any canon that doesn't have a massively disproportionate gender ratio in the main cast, and since the story is so limited, you can basically pick whoever you want and mash them together and there will be somebody going "Same hat!"

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. KingStarscream

Off the top of my head, ships I've seen a decent chunk of art and fic for:

F/F;

Mercy/Pharah
    Sombra/Symmetra
    Pharah/Symmetra
    Sombra/Zarya
    Sombra/D.Va
    D.Va/Brigette
    Mercy/Moira
    Zarya/Mei
    Mei/Symmetra
    Widow/Tracer
    Widow/Sombra
    Widow/Moira
    Tracer/Emily

F/M;
    Reaper/Ana/76
    Ana/McCree
    Ana/Rein
    Lucio/D.Va
    Genji/Mercy
    McCree/Ashe
    Lucio/Symmetra
    Junkrat/Mei
    Junkrat/Symmetra

M/M;
    McCree/Hanzo
    McCree/Genji
    McCree/Reaper
    Reaper/76
    Reaper/Lucio
    Reaper/Doomfist
    Doomfist/Lucio
    Genji/Zenyatta
    Genji/Lucio
    Rein/Torb
    Roadhog/Junkrat
    Hanzo/Doomfist

...But like LadyNigheyes said, you can probably dig up something on pretty much every variation of [Character A] x [Character B], and it's pretty equal across the lines in terms of F/F and M/M shipping powerhouses.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

There was also some 76/Mercy and 76/Ana shipping in certain circles, though I imagine that's going to drop off a lot with Recent Events.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice