Salve (or Hello)

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by wes scripserat, Feb 23, 2015.

1. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

i'm...
    well i'm wes.
    or west.
    wes/west?
    anyway.
    interests.
    latin.
    lingua latina beata est (the latin language is beautiful)
    star trek because star trek
    i'm dp-anon over on tumblr (or poeta-ae, no one really cares)
    i'm possibly autistic, definitely weird.
    my wordings are quirky because i like old language
    like hence
    or sans
    or ergo
    like my sperg things are etymology (though not entomology), and star trek. also sherlock holmes in all the forms.
    dunno if anyone else likes rwby but i love it (and i ship platonic renora like nobody's business)
    nearly become otherkin because lack of stuff for genderfluid (pulled myself out of that quickly though because i noticed emotional manipulation/echo chamber and got creeped out)
    i wonder what y'all think my gender is.
    i honestly don't know o.o
    also flightrising and tumblr (i'm humanaleph on fw)
    and i have a blog that is rarely updated where i have all my gender weirds (humanaleph.wordpress.com)
    i find the Phoenician alphabet fascinating.
    and i'm bad at organizing my posts.

• Like x 3
  2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

There seems to be several of us in the RWBY herd around here. Hisup.

(For gender I'd ping you as boyish masculine (as opposed to manly masculine)? I dunno, my genderdar tends to be pretty good though.)

3. wes scripserat

Huh.
    That sorta works.
    Cool.

4. bramblepatch

bramblepatch ground/water dualtype

Hello! If you like old language, I think you might get a kick out of this (I found it a while back while doing research for a fallen london-based rp character)

• Like x 1
  5. wes scripserat

THIS
    THIS THIS THIS
    THANK YOU SO MUCH

6. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Hm. Based on shorter sentences, avoidance of capitalization & punctuation, I'm reading you as some level of masculine as well. Of course, this is probably because dave from homestuck does similar structure.

7. Starcrossedsky

Dave reads more mannish masculine to me, actually. It's subtly different.

8. wes scripserat

was unaware that avoidance of capitalization et punctuation was a more mannish reading thingy.
    huh.

9. kmoss

kmoss whoops

he does ramble more. I think I'm better at reading female writing anyways, so usually i can do "female" or "not-female" pretty reliably

10. bramblepatch

bramblepatch ground/water dualtype

:) Glad to be of assistance. I've been half-seriously trying to bring back "got the morbs"

11. wes scripserat

victorian slang for melancholy is best slang.

12. Starcrossedsky

Yeah, my genderdar is pretty reliable with only two major exceptions over like, seven years, so. (One each for female mistaken male and male mistaken female.)

It's not for me? Though my other usual medium is one where half the users drop caps and hardly anyone includes their finishing punctuation, so.

13. kmoss

kmoss whoops

it could be just because when we drop caps and punct., we sound more confident, and we're trained to read confidence as a male trait. or i could be projecting from my women studies classes.

i also read long sentences with good punct. and cap. as male, but only if they use certain words as well.

Wasn't there a website that analyzed your writing to determine gender?

EDIT: there were a few! http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.php and http://genderanalyzer.com/
    don't know how accurate they are.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  14. Starcrossedsky

That could be, and could also then explain why I don't parse it as masculine (I read it as "relaxed," not "confident").

15. wes scripserat

interesting.
    i don't capitalize mostly because i like how lower case "i"s look and also i like consistency.

16. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

hello!

if you like etymology you would probably like the online english etymology dictionary (if you haven't run across it yet), and also "six words you never knew had something to do with pigs". i really love etymology and historical linguistics.

re: gender, i'd guess some sort of masculine based off the name wes (can't think of any english female names that can be abbreviated to wes). i think i already got that impression off your tumblr, though i couldn't say why.

17. wes scripserat

oh thank you shiny words
    huh.
    that's interesting.
    and also awesome.

18. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Yeah, you ping as vaugely male to me too! At least, you're lacking things that ping me as feminine.

Wheee languages! I need to get my moirail on here so you two can squee about Latin.

My brother got me into RWBY! And Ooo I have not thought about platonic renora, but now that I have I really like it! That tends to be how it goes with me, though.
    I really like Blake and want even more backstory!
    Also, said brother is going to do a male!Neo cosplay. He's gonna dye his beard pink/brown and he got a white tailcoat for Christmas.

19. wes scripserat

ooo
    that sounds absolutely amazing.
    blake is the best.
    i id the most with blake definitely.
    my best friend is very ren-like.
    i ship platonic renora because there aren't enough platonic ships.
    and they are adorable.

20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

@ingloriousHeist Latin people for you!

Very true on both counts!! =D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice