Saro Reads Manga: DB Edition

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Saro, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Yeah Yamcha was never the strongest fighter, but his thing was was that he was clever and perceptive. But then he grew less and less important as time went on. Like why even bother with character development with Yamcha when we have Piccolo. I mean really. At least Yamcha has never been as forsaken as Tien and Chiaotzu become. They almost entirely are phased out and the moment we give Tien a Toriyama handjob it is immediately reviled as the worst fucking episode of Super.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I'm learning so much!

• Like x 1
  3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 43 I love how Goku uses his tail so casually
    upload_2018-3-13_21-36-6.png
    like this, just holdin' on with it while watching the match

With more knowledge on hand... what did happen to you, Roshi? How have you been defeated by panties?

He's been tossed out of the ring (which I think is actually rectangular, so I feel a bit weird calling it a ring). Kuririn thinks he's won, Yamcha's waiting for the other shoe to drop, the crowd is oohing and aahing. What's a man to do?

He's got no choice! He has to use... that!

upload_2018-3-13_21-40-16.png
    Okay, notice the buildings in the background.

upload_2018-3-13_21-42-18.png
    Straight-up destroyed. Dude! I get you're probably here for a very specific reason, even if I'm not sure exactly what it is yet, but! But! You destroyed a whole castle/mountain (???) with that thing earlier!

(i'm sorry to say i'd probably be more surprised/impressed by this if I hadn't seen it happen a hundred times in DBZ Kai, where they use blasts to push themselves out of the way/move places/etc)

Aaand he's back! He bows and does the "pekon" sfx

upload_2018-3-13_21-56-41.png
    thanks

Oh jeez, Kuririn runs headfirst into the wall trying to attack JC/Roshi. Poor kid :( (also his head is so shiny all the time right now, does he polish it??)

JC/Roshi does a cross chop to the back of his neck, and the match is over. Luckily there are some medics who cart Kuririn away for treatment. Those fancy beans aren't a thing yet, so I hope he's okay, that was a wicked chop.

A few panels later: he seems just fine! Well alright.

Oh shit, Yamcha's making an accusation! He tries to pull off the wig, but Roshi's got it securely attached, and even Goku's nose is fooled (because cologne).

upload_2018-3-13_22-2-47.png
    indeed (i laughed a lot at this)

And it's almost time for the penultimate match, between Namu (who I forgot existed for a while) and Goku! Might take a couple of chapters to get through.

Ch 44

An establishing shot of a coconut palm and the announcer's preamble. This place seems nice and warm, I wanna go there. I'm done with Illinois winter.

One thing I was gonna mention earlier but forgot - another instance of some variation of zeny/zeni/zenii/zenny/zenni being the currency of a fantasy world. RO had it too, and I think a lot of RPGs (maybe even one of the FFs?) and other manga do as well. Where the heck does it come from?

So, prediction: I do think Goku's gonna win, but it'll probably be a bit of a challenge, and I think that Namu's water problem will get solved in some other way. Maybe the ultimate winner will give up the prize money for him? Or maybe he'll become so strong he can fracture the earth and find a new spring? I dunno, but I don't think that he'll get left hanging, he has a very noble quest.

Anyway, on to the match!

Goku does the afterimage thing he saw JC/Roshi do in the last match, but it doesn't seem too effective. Then there's a lot of punching/kicking/flying into walls/etc. They seem pretty evenly matched! Neither is really having that much of an advantage (although Goku's tail comes in handy again when he uses it to trip Namu).

upload_2018-3-13_22-12-0.png
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i have a bad feeling about it

uh it actually is working really well? um!

WELL UNTIL GOKU GOT TOO DIZZY TO CONTINUE! He'd nearly won! (Now that I think about it, how was he spinning? Just turning real fast? Using his tail?)

upload_2018-3-13_22-13-55.png
    so close!!

Holy crap, Namu jumped super high and is using an attack called something like "x-strike of the heavens" and Goku's still incapacitated by dizziness!

Ch 45

OH SHIT IT ACTUALLY HIT. I wasn't expecting that. Right across his throat. D: Poor Goku. At the very least you'd be croaky for a few days after that.

But he manages to get up JUST at the last second, everyone is amazed (including me, I was doubting my prediction)

upload_2018-3-13_22-34-14.png
    the same sound my husband's neck makes when he cracks it (koki w/ a small tsu to make it a sharp sound). It kind of looks like he's putting his head back on....

Namu wants to do his x-strike again an so he jumps up, but Goku follows and they have some silly mid-air "swimming" antics. It's fun to have a mid-air battle where being in mid-air actually means something.

Goku lands first and he's able to kick Namu out of the ring! Yamcha and Kuririn celebrate. I was expecting it to take longer, honestly, but it was kind of satisfying (although maybe it would have been a little bit more compelling if Goku hadn't shaken off getting hit in the throat quite so easily...)

• Like x 1
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 46 I kind of love how into cars/planes/etc Toriyama is, so many intro pics of cars/bikes/planes that have nothing to do with what's going on, a+

I completely forgot what was going on and I was happily surprised that Goku had won.

The spectators around Bulma&co keep changing.

Aww man, Namu is so graceful in defeat. I feel bad. But it looks like Roshi's got some plan (I guess he did... read his mind or something earlier? Which is how we found out about Namu's reason for being in the tournament).

upload_2018-3-14_9-37-41.png
    First: I did not expect to get confirmation until this thing was all over! Second: HOW. WHY.

Roshi gives Namu a capsule and tells him to fill it up with water, which only makes me want to know how capsules work exactly even more. My original assumption was that there were capsule for certain things (like a type of house or vehicle or whatever) and that capsule would only capsule-ize that object. But that seems to not be the case at all, if you can just put water or the Kame house or whatever inside. Is there a certain volume or mass limit? Can you put a person in one? What happens to the stuff inside? Does it decompose in normal time? If you put a house in one and popped it out 100 years later, would it be all dilapidated?

Anyway. Roshi explains his purpose for entering in disguise!

upload_2018-3-14_9-43-15.png
    Yeah, I can dig it.

Roshi informs Namu that water is free here, so I guess that's that problem solved. Roshi asks for a favor from Namu, what the heck is it?

Oh, that's what it is. Yamcha is tricked into thinking Roshi's out in the crowd of spectators. Well, that paid off super quickly, I was kinda hoping for something more important.

upload_2018-3-14_9-46-52.png
    my two favorites in one scene

Almost time for the match to start! Neither is gonna hold back!

Ch 47

Oh jesus 3 roshis is too many roshis

Fight!! * ding ding ding *

Lots of dodging and jumping.... Goku gets kicked way out of the ring almost immediately and then THIS bullshit happens

upload_2018-3-14_23-32-42.png
    I'LL ACCEPT THAT GILAN CAN FLY BUT THIS I WILL NOT COUNTENANCE!! don't you fuckin 'nihihi' me. this is against everything i stand for.

upload_2018-3-14_23-33-34.png
    SAME

Oh! A double kamehameha! They both get flung back and Roshi is, frankly, astounded. (And so am I, like, think what would have happened to the crowd/area if Goku hadn't countered. but i guess no one cares too much about that, and maybe the crowd has to sign a waiver or something...)

upload_2018-3-14_23-37-19.png
    what's the plan?? what's the plan????

Ch 48

Time to learn the new plan!!

Oho, a double afterimage! This poor arena is just getting wrecked. Statues, walls, tiles, portions of the city....

Roshi I really think you should have expected a triple afterimage. I dunno, maybe creating afterimages is really hard. I don't even know how one goes about it!

DRUNKEN FIST! (which honestly I don't quite understand the effectiveness of. Maybe the unpredictability? It seems like it shouldn't make your attacks stronger...)

upload_2018-3-14_23-42-46.png
    mmmMMMMmm don't like that

A fighting style based on a kanji misreading... kyouken = mad fist, but 'ken' can also be dog. hence the terrifying specter above. Roshi gets pissed about it.

Fight's still ongoing! Goku seems to be doing quite well. Iunno, I'm not completely sold on him being a step ahead all the time. I think there's more Roshi has yet to show us. Also, almost to 50! Not that that has any special meaning, but hey, I wasn't sure I'd get more than like... 4 chapters in before stopping, so :D

5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 49 is it just me or has goku's hair gotten more asymmetrical in recent chapters

Oh, more new -ken styles! Also don't like this one, although it seems much more appropriate becaue apparently it's saruken (saru = monkey and is distressingly close to my chosen cognomen)

Roshi is doing some CRAZY HAND SHIT and then his eyes turn white and he apparently casts a magic sleep spell (which is mostly saying the japanese equivalent of "go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep little baby") and Goku passes the fuck out

Count's almost up but then

upload_2018-3-14_23-55-42.png
    good thinking bulma! Altho honestly I kinda wanted Roshi to win in this completely bogus way

upload_2018-3-14_23-56-51.png
    nice

More RPS-fist and Goku tricks Roshi incredibly easily by saying paper and using a "rock" fist.

Roshi's come to the conclusion by the end of the chapter that he has to use "that move", whatever "that move" is...

Ch 50 * celebration emoji *

upload_2018-3-15_0-2-38.png
    Dude. dude.

You can't just mention Gohan Sr. to him during a match, he'll get all distracted!

This move is insane, it's like a Thunderbolt or something

and it just keeps happening and Roshi even increases the power and dude, just throw in the towel already D:

OH JESUS APPARENTLY IT'S A FULL MOON time for some oozaru shenanigans! shit, that's gonna be way more destructive than a kamehameha or two

upload_2018-3-15_0-6-42.png
    tfw your friend changes into a gigantic ape monster

Ch 51

Announcer guy's still announcing and Roshi still has Goku suspended in midair in Thunderbolt attack, but it seems like that's not gonna last for long

Maybe Bulma or Yamcha or either of the shapeshifters could let them in on the tail thing?

Oozaru Goku really hates buildings. He likes tearing the towery bits off them and chucking them though.

upload_2018-3-15_0-11-2.png
    my boy!!

Roshi's still worried about losing, which is a bit of a mis-priority at this point, if you ask me.

upload_2018-3-15_0-12-9.png
    i feel like I've heard this line of thought somewhere before

Yamcha and Puerh, yeah! Making plans to save the day again! But uuuuh I'm thinking it's gonna be too late because a couple panels later we get Super Bulky Roshi and he seems to be planning on using a full-power kamehameha to do something (spoiler: i bet it's gonna be to blow up the moon), Yamcha thinks that he's trying to kill Goku and pretty courageously tries to stop Roshi

The ending is a cliffhanger! Dangit! I don't get to see until next chapter if I was right or not!

• Like x 1
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 52 I couldn't just stop there so here we go!!

I feel so bad, Kuririn thinks that Goku is dead and is very upset about it. :( But we learn very quickly that nope, he's actually okay (and there's the line "It's Goku! Goku's butt!")

Welp, bye-bye moon. For the first time. Was it wished back? How the heck was it there again for Piccolo to destroy later on? Also, good-bye to all of the ecosystems and organisms that depend on tidal action to function...

AND THE FIGHT STILL CONTINUES. Thankfully Announcer makes time for Goku to get something to wear.

upload_2018-3-15_0-24-12.png
    Does he just not know until Z/later on this manga/i actually have no idea how the manga is actually organized and if there are two series or if they just split it up for tv and i don't necessarily trust what my husband told me because he has been mistaken about this kind of thing before!

Roshi is out of fuel and can't do a kamehameha. Goku can, though! He uses Roshi's dodge as an opportunity to kick him! but somehow Roshi is STILL not out-ringed because he stuck a foot into the side of the ring-dais and isn't touching the ground. How he managed to a) get his foot stuck in there so good and b) remain standing in the air supported only by that foot is a mystery to me.

Apparently Roshi has a thought and it has something to do with Goku's stature but that's the end of the chapter! Heck this fight has gone on for a while. Maybe next time we'll finally see the outcome.

Ch 53

They take a running leap at one another...

Trying for a final kick....

Both managed to kick each other! (Did Roshi use his insight from before, or...?)

Oh heck, a double knockout! Neither are able to stand up before the countdown ends. But there has to be a winner, and apparently the winner is the one who can stand up and say "I won!" while smiling.

Goku manages to stand up first and I absolutely thought he was going to win for a hot second, but he can't finish saying "I won" and falls over instead, and Roshi manages to win.

I guess Roshi's kick had more striking power because he has longer limbs, so I guess his insight did come in handy (assuming that he knew something like this would happen at the Budoukai, which wouldn't surprise me)

Goku's fairly unphased by losing.

upload_2018-3-15_0-39-0.png
    it begins

Ch 54

I'm honestly a little bit emotionally drained from that fight. It was pretty intense, all things considered, and there were some unexpected bits (I absolutely did not expect transformation to go on, for one thing) as well as a good mix of silly and serious.

upload_2018-3-15_0-41-9.png
    this is some nice title page art.

upload_2018-3-15_0-41-58.png
    his hair ABSOLUTELY has gotten more asymmetrical (or at least the "front" bits have gotten less pointy and more curved, and maybe slightly larger than the "back" ones)

Ahhh... Roshi gets out of disguise and I actually got to like that design for him. I definitely prefer glasses-less Roshi, makes him seem less like a nasty old man.

upload_2018-3-15_0-45-16.png
    you... went through quite a bit to say it. I hope you have some ibuprofen and ice packs and heating pads.

Oh man, food time! Finally! I wish Announcer could eat with them, I'm gonna miss him. They have a very Chinese-style feast at a setup similar to one I saw in a Chinese restaurant in Yokohama's Chinatown when I visited Japan almost 14 years ago now ;.; Goku eats a fuckton of food (the restaurant has run out of ingredients by the time he's done) and Roshi has to pay nearly all of his 500,000 for the meal.

Driving... home? To the airport? Where are they driving to?? They can't drive back to the island!

Anyway. What are people gonna do after this?

Goku: Find the 4-star ball
    Kuririn: Hang out with Roshi a bit more
    Everyone else: lol doesn't matter, we don't even get told

Goku flies off on Kinto'un, all eager to set out on a new adventure! Aaaand apparently Bulma lost the airplane capsule, so they have to buy a new one/find other transport/etc.

Well. This was a complete accident but it seems I've ended up at a very nice breakpoint at the end of this set of 3 chapters! Looks like we've finished the first Budoukai arc and are gonna be moving on to something else! I'm curious to see what's next. I don't think it'll be King Piccolo/whatever his Japanese title is right off the bat, but I suppose it totally could be, I've certainly been wrong about my predictions before! And I know there's going to be at least one other Budoukai in there somewhere, although obviously it's not gonna be next.

Possibilities:
    • Uhhh... finding the lookout place? Although it'd be weird if Kami was introduced before King Piccolo, so probably not immediately
    • Meeting other people that I know (Yajirobe, etc.)
    • Red Ribbon stuff?
    • That cat dude?? The name sounds like Coryn or something in the dub but who knows
    • Return of Pilaf&co
    • Other stuff that I have no idea about (exciting!)
    I hope everyone got to take a nice bath after the tournament.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  7. Aondeug

Dragonball the manga was originally just Dragonball. It was split up into Dragonball and Dragonball Z for the anime adaptations. Then when DBZ came over to the states and we started getting the manga ViZ decided to split up the two chunks of the manga in a similar fashion. Hence why you'll run into Dragonball and Dragonball Z manga volumes in the states. ViZ has done similar things with the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga, splitting the three major portions of the series into Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium World. Which while it wasn't originally a thing, it does make sense given how fucking different these three chunks are in terms of tone and what the story is even about.

• Informative x 3
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I don't mind!

The tone difference is a valid point, at least comparing my experience with the early part of the manga with what I've seen of the anime. I do kind of wish I'd experienced the first part first, rather than coming in with all this knowledge of what's going to be happening (up to a certain point anyway), but oh well. Like I'm just trying to imagine having followed this from the beginning and having the whole alien business dumped on me. I really want to know what people thought about it at the time, whether it was suspected at all (considering the nature of the world and of shounen manga, I'm leaning towards 'not really), whether fans were pissed off or excited or nonplussed or what. (Unfortunately it probably would not have happened had I not watched the anime, because it wasn't something I ever considered even wanting to read. We only started watching the anime because Husband was inspired by the newest fighting game and that the Giant Bomb people were going to be watching Kai and doing a podcast, lol.)

• Like x 1
  9. Aondeug

It's honestly kind of amazing how well some of his worldbuilding works given how he does it. Which is by the seat of his pants. Like he could've fucked up super hard by making Kami and Piccolo Namekians but he somehow managed to explain and expand upon them in a way that while surprising does kind of work?

• Agree x 2
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Cosigned, agreed.

11. Aondeug

Really though my fav addition that isn't Beerus and his very existence is probably the whole Saiyan deal. I like my angry monkey people that turn into giant laser monkeys and whose one super duper power up is to turn into every furry's bizarre simian dream but with more punching and lasers.

• Agree x 1
  12. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

One of my favorite things right now is how two of the most well known Shounen manga (Dragon Ball and One Piece) are basically operating on opposite principles. Akira Toriyama making Dragon Ball is basically a cycle of writing himself into a corner, catapulting out of the corner and into another one, forgetting half of what he wrote last time he was in this identical plot corner, and somehow working it all out. All while inventing and dropping ideas at the whims of his editor and sometimes just forgetting certain characters exist at all.

On the other hand, Eiichiro Oda is still throwing stuff in left and right but he definitely has a plan, he has an endgame in mind, and he never forgets anything. That octopus who was in two panels eleven years ago? He has a name, and he's important. Nobody dies* in One Piece because their story isn't over yet, you are going to see every single one of those jerks again.

*I haven't been keeping up lately, and it's not impossible that One Piece turns into some sort of meat grinder, but I doubt it. Oda never lets a good character go.

I just remembered all this because there's an interview with both artists out there, and in it Oda is gushing about all these characters and robots at scenes that Toriyama drew and Toriyama just keeps going "I drew that? Who are you talking about? Oh right sure that thing" so it's a fun contrast.

• Like x 4
  13. Aondeug

...oh my god. Like I knew that Oda loved his work and that he is part of the inspiration that god him doing what he's doing but I hadn't thought about that aspect of this. And I definitely hadn't seen that interview. Oh my god.

14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 55 The limited palette color pages are pretty interesting, I wonder if it was a cost-saving printing measure?

Time for a new arc. Maybe we'll make some new friends, as we managed to split off from the main group for a while.

This chapter is called "Red Ribbon" so uuhhhhh I'm gonna guess that it's time for Red Ribbon fun now!

Out of the tropics for now, seems like we're in kind of a steppe-plains habitat now. Low shrubbery, lots of exposed rock. I do love these landscapes, especially the more preposterous rock formations and such.

View attachment 41190
    literally sleeping on a cloud (well, waking up from sleeping, anyway)

View attachment 41191
    Dragonball's nearby! (Maybe? Don't know the scale on those gridmarks)

View attachment 41192
    PUT ON A SHIRT

Apparently this dude's name is Silver. He seems to value hard work and early rising. ("It's already 8:00!" and "If you have time to say good morning then get to work!" <- paraphrased)

He seems to be part of some organized effort to locate and secure dragonballs. "Commander Red" warned them they need to find it soon. Silver doesn't seem too impressed with the idea of dragonballs (I have a weird feeling they haven't been used very often up until this point, or at least not in the recent past, because it seems like people don't necessarily believe that they work or anything). They've already been searching for 20 days and no luck, and this Commander Red apparently will murder them if they don't find it soon.

Then Goku just kinda cruises by on Kinto'un, swoops down (completely ignoring the grunts who threaten to shoot him) and fishes the ball out of a crevice. Dang, Bulma, your device is super handy sometimes!

View attachment 41193
    skills: bullet dodgi

He gives the grunts a bit of a beating and flies off with the dragonball (#6, so not Gohan Sr.'s ): )

Silver gets the news from the grunt and just blows Goku out of the sky with some sort of rocket launcher, holy crap, apparently Kinto'un has just been evaporated D: Seems like it comes back later, but I have no idea how magic flying clouds work.

In the last panel there are gratuitous nipples and I really wish Silver would put on a shirt.

Ch 56

Silver status: still shirtless

upload_2018-3-17_1-7-5.png

there is maybe a slightly creepier way you could have phrased that but you know? I guess we don't always reach our full potential huh

upload_2018-3-17_1-8-30.png
    Goku used Tail Whip! it's super effective! (i know it's only a stat-lowering move but i just wanted to make a dumb joke i've had a Day)

Kinto'un is still gone :( So Goku steals some capsules and one hatches a robot and one hatches a cool plane which the robot can fly and off they go.

Meanwhile, Cdr. Red has the feeling of a super typical bad guy and there's another example of some pretty unfortunate black character design (although certainly not as bad as some of the bystanders during the tournament). I'm not getting super effective vibes off of the commander, he honestly doesn't feel like that much of a threat. I'm probably wrong but that's just the feeling I'm getting right now. Probably has a bunch of underlings who are threats, though.

Goku and new robot pilot friend end up in the north, where it is cold. (Seems legit.)

THIS ROBOT IS NOT WELL-DESIGNED! It freezes (literally) and the plane crashes and it seems like we might be near another RRA encampment. They investigate the wreckage but there's no body! Because a little girl in the best hat is dragging Goku through the snow.

Ch 57

Color pages chapter!!

There is an EXTREMELY DUMB-LOOKING TOWER. It's like a pawn without the ball part on top.

MORE CAPSULE HOUSES. They're so prevalent! Or maybe they're just regular houses that occasionally get capsule-ized? But there was that poster in the capsule shop.... I just don't get how it works.

It's so cozy-looking inside, makes me want it to be winter and snowing again so that I can wrap up in a blanket and have something hot to drink and feel like I'm thumbing my nose at the weather outside. Goku's savior is a little girl in a great sweater and red pants. Goku scares her and her mom by metioning dragonballs....

Oh HECK, the RR grunts have found the dragpath through the snow and of course it's gonna lead right to the little girl's house. Well, I suppose it's probably not too big a deal if Goku is there to dispatch them, but still

upload_2018-3-17_13-8-55.png
    quick explanation if you forgot because we haven't been thinking about them for a while. Digging Shenron's lipstick and eyebrow makeup.

upload_2018-3-17_13-11-19.png
    AW YEAH new Goku fashion! I'm collecting them.

He runs straight over to the tower and just decimates the guards outside. Bo continues to be useful for vaulting and getting up things.

Head dude chuckles and wonders if Goku can really make it to the top floor, so we're probably gonna have a series of bouts between a variety of enemies on different floors. Feels like fighting the elite 4 or something (I've got Pkmn on the brain obviously)

• Like x 2
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 58 this tower just looks like it's built from legos

I think I somehow missed that it's named Muscle Tower, which... hmmm. Really sounds like the name of a bad hentai manga to me. Unfortunate.

Welp, anyway! First floor: DANGER BOXES

upload_2018-3-17_18-33-4.png
    (+ fashion Goku because I love him and it looks like he's giving those boxes the hairy eyeball)

It's actually some rank-and-file dudes in a breakroom-looking area. Everyone is dressed like they came out of an LL Bean catalogue, except some of them have knives. and guns.

upload_2018-3-17_18-36-36.png
    awwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Well, winter fashion Goku didn't last long.

Next challenge: very large terminator-lookin' dude who is roughly 12.3 times Goku's size

upload_2018-3-17_18-40-40.png
    QUITE large. And talking in a weird way? Maybe he is actually a terminator robot thing!

Ch 59

upload_2018-3-17_18-43-25.png

Handy diagram! So the LL Bean dudes with weapons were NCOs. Sergeant Metallic I'm guessing is "Metallic" because he's some sort of terminator. Murasaki = Purple, so keeping with the color theme. (What is it with ninjas and mesh shirts? They were pretty common in Naruto, too.)

upload_2018-3-17_18-46-20.png
    WHAT THE SHIT

I've been trained to expect lasers/energy beam type attacks from mouths, not missiles!! GOT ME AGAIN TORIYAMA

upload_2018-3-17_18-47-59.png
    You gotta confirm your kills before you celebrate!!

upload_2018-3-17_18-48-50.png
    tiny goku is so cute, i kinda don't want him to get big

HECK YEAH KAMEHAMEHA TOOK HIS HEAD RIGHT OFF! And.... looks like there's some gadgetry in there. Sgt. Metallic is also smoking, so I'm gonna go ahead and say robot: confirmed

Yep, he's still alive and kicking even without a head! He uses a rocket punch at like point-blank range, which seems like overkill. Goku gets serious but before he can do anything Sgt. Metallic runs out of batteries for a super anti-climactic win.

Ch 60 * celebration emoji * 60% of the way to 100!

Ninja time!

Floor 4 has a nice nature theme going on. What's the point of this floor? Giving people an opportunity to be in a more familiar environment that's not snow all the time? Or is it literally just somewhere for Murasaki to fight people.

Speaking of, Murasaki ambushes Goku but is found out and Goku knocks him out of his hiding tree with a rock. Apparently hit him right in the nose too, good aim!!

upload_2018-3-17_19-0-37.png
    WHERE CAN YOU EVER USE THAT FOR HIDING.

Ppfffft, Murasaki seems to basically be an incompetent ninja. He tries to hide beneath a fake rock, then is hiding at the bottom of a pond breathing through a tube.

HOLY SHIT GOKU IS A STONE-COLD MURDERER! HE POURS BOILING WATER DOWN THE BREATHING TUBE!!!

upload_2018-3-17_19-4-34.png
    FASHION GOKU: GETA

upload_2018-3-17_19-6-36.png
    Are you absolutely sure about that?

• Like x 2
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 61 Upwards and onwards

Murasaki gets serious and Goku is kind of an asshole and does something kind of unspeakable with his bo.

upload_2018-3-17_23-32-30.png
    Yeah, it might be, but you honestly? kind of deserved it.

Oh fuck, these back-of-the-neck attacks just make me flinch every time I see them. I have a weird visceral reaction that makes my scalp all tight and uncomfortable. :/ Goku's pretty upset by it too.

upload_2018-3-17_23-34-35.png
    What did I just tell Metallic about confirming kills before celebrating???!

There's a shuriken fight in a house and somehow Murasaki has to use one tatami mat per shuriken Goku throws? You are a very bad ninja, the first tatami was still perfectly serviceable and there are only 4.5 of them! Then there's a joke about how he should have gotten a 6-tatami room instead, which is pretty funny.

Ch 62

So many traditional ninja techniques on display here! Water-walking across a pond full of piranha. But it's all in vain because Goku just leaps across.

Murasaki uses bunshin no jutsu! Man, he can make a lot of clones. But they don't really seem to be like... insubstantial or whatever, because one throws kunai, a different one uses a sword, and a third one has a pistol??

upload_2018-3-17_23-42-18.png
    Pistol-dude in the background there!

Goku is as confused as I am but it's not really a mystery anymore because it's revealed they're quintuplets! Man, if only there were six I could make some sort of Osomatsu-san joke....

Goku turns their "technique" around on them by doing some afterimage work of his own!

upload_2018-3-17_23-45-43.png
    !!

AN ANDROID!

Ch 63

Heck yeah an android! they cause so much trouble later! I'm so excited to see one now! Very nice Frankenstein's monster aesthetic going on. Was Metallic also an android creation and just happened to not follow the, uh, numbering scheme?

upload_2018-3-17_23-49-43.png
    well...

I find myself liking Android 8 very much, but he is basically completely useless to the RR folks the way he is, and I guess he's just part of a series of android creations, but uh. what a colossal failure on the part of the creator.

upload_2018-3-18_0-10-23.png
    oh no D: his scrunchy "ready to be blown up" face is really sad

upload_2018-3-18_0-9-33.png
    Goku to the rescue! my good boy takes care of Murasaki with no issue. Sometimes you just need some encouragement in whatever form to get serious, I guess.

upload_2018-3-18_0-23-19.png
    very good

The next area is a maze and Android #8 (newly christened Hacchan) guides Goku through, which is good because i can see him having been stuck there for a while. Floor 5 is extremely mysterious and there are no doors (what the heck is in there? Android manufacturing laboratory????) but that's okay because there IS a door to Floor 6, where the head dude is.

A TRAPDOOR TO FLOOR 5 this is very typical of "bad guys in a tower" and i can't believe i didn't think of it. Well, there's probably going to be something nasty in here (and it probably isn't an android manufacture lab).

• Like x 2
  17. Aondeug

At least Goku's casual clothes are a fucking sight to behold and a gift to mankind. Those fucking outfits they wore in the driving episode are just godly. Why do have these outfits. Who coordinated these. Did Chichi know what you put on and did she buy these. Are there other bits of clothing that these pieces are supposed to go with but you're Goku and Piccolo so you have no idea what fashion is. ?????????

• Like x 4
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

As much as I appreciate Kai's apparent dedication to being closer to the manga, I am very sad that I missed out on the infamous driving episode. I want to see Piccolo in anything but his usual gear (which I like very much but still. I want Piccolo in ridiculous outfits.)

19. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 64 This chapter must have been published sometime around when the anime started, I'm guessing

upload_2018-3-18_17-18-47.png
    Here's the chapter title art

Looks like the lights got turned on on Floor 5, it was pitch black last time. Motion-sensitive? Goku lands on his feet but is promptly squashed by Hacchan.

upload_2018-3-18_17-22-18.png
    don't like that

It's a monster with its tongue hanging out and it reminds me of the Phreeoni boss from RO a little bit. Not quite as many teeth though. It's named Buyon, which sounds an awful lot like a sound-effect kind of word to me, and I wonder if it's purposeful. Like maybe it goes "buyoyoyon" when punched or something. Where do these kinds of monsters come from? Are they genetically engineered? Is it another renegade alien? Is there somewhere out there a village of these dudes?

upload_2018-3-18_17-28-1.png
    :((( I'll be genuinely sad if anything happens to him.

upload_2018-3-18_17-28-44.png
    holy shit he literally does make a "buyoyo---n" sound effect (that's what those katakana say)

Attacks are ineffective (and the translator provides a handy note that "buyon" is a rubbery boingy sound effect; I knew I'd heard that word somewhere before, probably in One Piece or some other manga)

upload_2018-3-18_17-31-33.png
    HEY who said you could do that!!

upload_2018-3-18_17-32-19.png
    now he REALLY reminds me of Phreeoni

Goku gets et but then forces his way back out (yuck!) and tries a kamehameha, which is also deflected. Oh man. This dude is a huge annoyance. Hope he gets dealt with soon!

Ch 65

upload_2018-3-18_17-35-4.png
    me either

Hacchan got grabbed I am going to be very sad if he's just gone after this

Okay, turns out he's fine, phew. Goku's trying some more very straightforward attacks and they're still not working.

.... really? we're just going to freeze him?

Goku makes a hole in the wall and apparently it is VERY cold outside because Buyon freezes in about 5 seconds (Goku, meanwhile, has made a nest inside Hacchan's shirt).

upload_2018-3-18_17-41-57.png

Buyon gets shattered and goku just fucking goes headfirst through the ceiling back to floor 6. While helping Hacchan up Goku gets shot twice and is completely fine. White certainly has a reason to be apprehensive....

Ch 66

White, after seeing Goku get shot and it having no effect: it makes sense to have a punchfight with this person i can totally win against him (yes i know goku is a small child but still.)

upload_2018-3-18_17-46-31.png
    straight-up murdered him

White's being a tricky bugger and fake-surrenders.

upload_2018-3-18_17-49-13.png
    you're awfully casual

Goku gets shot again and this time it seems to be more serious, which makes Hacchan willing to fight. He punches White through a while and White goes flying off beyond the mountains.

Goku's fine though, it just hurt a lot and he's hungry, which everyone laughs at at the end of the chapter. (Goku's back in his shirt-nest which is very cute.)

• Like x 2
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ch 67 Goku's table manners leave something to be desired (but Hacchan is a gentleman)

FOOD!

Hacchan had the 2-star ball this whole time and kept everyone safe by hiding it. It's a good thing people don't know that Bulma made a radar device, they might be tempted to kidnap her and force her to make another one.

Hacchan's gonna be living at the village elder's house after this :') I'm so happy.

upload_2018-3-18_18-4-34.png
    NICE pajamas but oh shit, the radar's broken! Suppose we'll have to go visit Bulma. (will we get to see her dad and more importantly the cat that's always hanging around on him????)

KINTO'UN'S BACK!! The dissipation was only temporary!! Man, this is a feel-good chapter.

upload_2018-3-18_18-7-48.png
    It won't be for long, probably, but just a little more winter Goku.

I was right, it really wasn't for very long, he's back to normal in the last panel.

Ch 68

Where does Kinto'un go when it's not in use? Does it hang out with regular clouds up in the sky or something? That's kind of a nice image. Maybe it goes flying all over the place, playing with normal clouds and just waiting to be called.

Goku does not match the big city aesthetic.

upload_2018-3-18_18-11-43.png
    Floating stroller! Baby with a cat-ears hood! I love everything about this panel. I'm so glad the hover technology isn't limited to cars and bikes. What a boon to people with mobility issues and how much easier to push a hovering stroller. No need to worry about uneven terrain! Baby can have a very comfortable, smooth ride. (Also is it the vogue to put babies in hats with ears? Baby Trunks also has that hood with the little pointy ears on it.)

Poor Goku's having a bit of a rough time of it; a taxi driver kicks him out because he has no money and no one can point him Bulma's way. But luckily he makes some money off a street shill. Some miscreants try to steal it from him but don't get very far. They suggest he find a policeman to ask about Bulma.

upload_2018-3-18_18-17-50.png
    Need to work on your fine-motor skills....

Bulma's address: located! I think this is maybe the first time we learn that she's associated with Capsule Corp?

Ch 69

upload_2018-3-18_18-22-17.png

You really do have a pretty amazing sense of smell.

upload_2018-3-18_18-22-59.png
    RAD

upload_2018-3-18_18-23-22.png
    Policeman you really shouldn't be smelling her ("kun kun" is the sound effect for sniffing, Goku's doing it in the first panel too)

upload_2018-3-18_18-24-50.png
    YES!!! YES!!!!!!!!

upload_2018-3-18_18-25-50.png
    <3

Radar: fixed!

Whoops, looks like Bulma's fighting with Yamcha (who's at school... with Oolong and Puerh? Are... they high school aged?) so she wants to go off with Goku and find a better dude. She's made a thing that lets her shrink so she can be easily carried by Goku and they don't need to worry about how she's gonna get around.

Looks like we're ending on a cliffhanger, Bulma has taken the wrong capsule case! (I was thinking earlier that people really need to customize their cases somehow.) Wonder what's inside it. Experimental capsules? Nothing? Maybe something completely useless, like a capsule full of feathers. I dunno why he'd have something like that but you never know.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice