Satisfying things you like

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by BlackholeKG, Jul 1, 2016.

1. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

• Ice. The texture and cold feel of it. Running my nails over compacted snow, or scraping something across smooth ice in a pond, or biting down on ice in your mouth and hearing it squeak and softly compress before it cracks.
    • Splitting orange peel. I after eating an orange I use my nails to divide up the peel, splitting the skin into smaller and smaller pieces until I am left with a pile of loose orange skin pulp. The texture has a really nice give when I sink my nails into it.
    • There are certain blades of grass that are structured such that you can pull the innards out of the lower portion of the grass blade. If you tug with just the right amount of pressure, an "inner" blade of grass will slide out with a slight, soft smooth give, and the lower portion of it will be white. If I am sitting down in a field I will uproot the entire patch around me finding these blades to pull apart and feel the slight give of it.
    • Shaving off loose stubble and feeling the skin being entirely smooth afterwards. Similarly, picking at or removing blemishes or hard skin so that it's smooth underneath instead.
    • Blu-tac (sticky tac). If I find this at work I pretty much will spend the entire day playing with it. It has a wonderful soft give that makes it good to squeeze. Shaping it in your fingers is a wonderful idle time-passer - I try to make spheres and cubes and make them as geometrically perfect as I am able.
    • The taste and texture of metal. I have a bunch of coins I keep on my desk, and occasionally suck on them. Don't judge me.
    • Sinking pins into anything rubber. It's that same feeling of soft "give" again. I had a rubber holder for a tablet pen that I'm sure has been immensely scarred over the years, but the rubber always seems to "heal" back over. I used to do the same with rubbers (Americans, read: erasers) at school with pens.
    • Speaking of pens, drawing over the lines on your hands. Running the metal head of a ball-point across your joins and filling in all the crevices with ink. Pressing things into gently into my joints and into crevices in my skin feels nice, I don't know why.
    I could probably think of a bunch more, but does anybody have anything of this same style of thing that they like to do? Maybe we can all find more things to exact satisfaction from :)

• Like x 7
  2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

in the same vein as drawing on ones hands with pen, drawing with liquid eyeliner. i dont Get Makeup so i really just ended up trying to draw smooth clean swoopy lines on my hands and wrists. bonus points for looking visually striking. i may edit in a pic of me with my hands all drawn on when i'm back at my laptop.

bread. dough. bread dough. floured enough that its not actually sticking to you horribly, its just smooth and has a squishiness and is decently heavy. knead the breaddo, feel the breaddo. with clean hands, pat the bread.

this concludes the overtired bread chanting

• Like x 5
  3. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Speaking of bread; I think that "biting into the rounded crust ends of baguettes" is another thing I can put here.

And also just biting into crusts in general tbh

• Like x 4
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

There are certain words that I am especially fond of saying. They are deeply satisfying. My absolute favorite word is fuck. That is just the best word ever. I also like to hum single tones a lot. Or repeat phonemes. I just really love the wonders of enunciation.

• Like x 5
  5. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

I bought a beauty blender for my face and just tried it today, and now I can't stop touching it. It feels like a cool cloud and it squishes and I LOVE IT

• Like x 5
  6. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

Organizing books, dvds/vhs, cds and tcg cards. I can spend hours upon hour figuring out a system to sort things. Even better when i get new stuff and have to reareange things so they fit... aaaah

Looking at pretty book covers and notebook covers.

Touching stuffed animals. Just like petting them or playing with floppy ears or paws (i have no pets so this has to do under circumstances)

Petting my friends' pets are also pretty satisfying

Sitting and holding a heavy baby in my lap. (If this is confusing, my mother runs a home daycare and i am often helping her. Chubby babies are awesome to hold and snuggle... for me, at least)

• Like x 2
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

• tapping my nails either three times, five times, or a number divisible by three on those plastic pole things in front of buildings in some parking lots. they're kinda hollowish but not really? idk it's hard to describe.
    • squishing my face into a pillow or setting a pillow on my lap
    • pulling strings out of blankets and making them into a loop
    • chewing muffin wrappers
    • alphabatizing books or movies
    • putting a disk (like a movie or game) into a player, and that feeling when the player takes over and automatically pulls it in the rest of the way
    • using chopsticks
    • getting a haircut, especially the back part of my head
    • driving a zip zap or other remote controlled small thing on a smooth surface with no interruptions or obstacles, til you either can't see it anymore or it leaves the range of your controller
    • making cookies
    • sitting or laying in front of a floor fan
    • the smell of fresh cut grass, or fresh rain
    • tilting any screen i'm looking at about 5-15 degrees to the right
    • that one schoolhouse rock song about the number 8
    • songs that go back and forth in your headphones
    • playing a güiro
    • feeling the painted part of a güiro or other painted, glossy wood
    • i love güiros
    • [​IMG]

• Like x 3
  8. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

putting glue or stickers on your hands, so you can peel it off

and hair brushing, though I don't have anyone that I could convince to do it for me >:/

• Like x 1
  9. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

@Ruevian cushion compacts are like that for me too!!! idk what they do but the makeup is always cool when i put it on and it just squishes and it's like smooshing cool soft velvet into my face ahhhh

anyway
    • there are certain textures of paint that trigger this "i wanna eat it" sense in my brain. playing with paint, mixing it, swirling it. colors in general, especially pure bright pigment powders.
    • i also do the same thing with crystals. they're so shiny and bright and they look just like candy it's not my fault. (my crystal tag on tumblr is 'rock candy')
    • that feeling of sticking your hand into a bowl or a dish or something filled with polished rocks
    • organizing or arranging things by color
    • folding those little origami paper stars . i've done it so much it's basically muscle memory at this point, and the regular motions are super relaxing. plus you get a cute little star at the end of it.
    • in a similar vein, crocheting. sometimes when i can't sleep i'll like... imagine the motions of it in my head, i find even just picturing that regular loop-pull-slide soothes me
    • getting a stubborn price sticker off in one go
    • peeling off nail polish in one go
    • edit: oooh wait i forgot the best one, watching people do calligraphy. hnnnnng.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Like x 4
  10. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

• soft blankets and pillows
    • pressure, being covered
    • sleeping
    • the sound of shoes on rock, concrete, pavement

• Like x 4
  11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• When you pick up a hermit crab and leave them on your palm for a bit and they finally uncurl and start moving around on your hand
    • Getting a bird to respond to you when you imitate it
    • Lamb's ear leaves (so fuzzy)
    • Petting friendly cats
    • Adding a journal article to a citation manager and it recognizes it and fills in the information for you
    • Watching a plant that's covered with bumblebees
    • Getting into the rhythm of knitting and following the pattern correctly
    • Finding the book that you wanted to read at the library
    • 100% phone charge
    • Being clean and putting on clean pajamas and getting into a bed with clean sheets
    • Pressing down the plunger on a French press

• Like x 3
  12. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

I like to bite on coins. Not like, chew, but just. Hold in my teeth? is good.
    BOTH GOOD CHOICES LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT SATISFYING TEXTURES don't i won't stop i love tactile sensations

• Like x 3
  13. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I like throwing things against walls as hard as I can. Especially if they break. It's part of why I am very happy that a friend of mine got me some legos. So I can just set up a lego clump and then throw it at the wall and watch it break. Very pretty. Things breaking in general is nice. Especially when they snap. Satisfying snap.

• Like x 3
  14. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

• flannel blankets/sheets/pillows.
    • rubbing my face on said flannel
    • biting jerky like foodstuffs. like where you gotta bite and then rip.
    • @BlackholeKG bread crusts are also good for this biting and ripping feeling
    • walls/flat surfaces that are flat but texture
    • weight/pressure on top and around me
    • random but special words and phrases i hear. once my friend was betaing a fic i wrote and she said she had to "box the fangirl and put on the editor's hat". i repeated this in my head for weeks
    • general rocking/repetitive motion things
    • my hand over/on/around my mouth/bottom half of my face. idk

• Like x 3
  15. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

that feel when a pet rat inspects ur hand and proceeds to go "mlem mlem mlem" as they decide, no this should smell like me, i will lick it

its not grooming, because that involves getting lightly scraped with the teeth

the tiny tongue: how does it be so tiny. mlem mlem mlarm

sorry I've been up for ~14 hours and didnt sleep well so i'm a bit punchy

• Like x 8
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Phonetic spellings of sounds like"mlem"

The feeling of rifling the pages of a softcover book against the writing callus on my thumb

The feeling of bumping a volleyball just where I want it to go, the bomp against the meaty part of the base of my thumb and the side off my hand

The murp noise a cat makes when I wake it up by petting

Miso soup, kani salad, and unagi don. Let me savor you

Freshly vacuumed carpets, clean and just deep enough to sink my feet into

• Like x 2
  17. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

• Getting a new Tai Chi form right
    • The first breath of nitrox off a regulator when you get off the fucking wildly rocking boat into the water and your motion sickness just vanishes
    • Sunbathing
    • Bread dough
    • Good dark beer/white wine
    • Trying a new food and discovering that it's amazing.

• Like x 1
  18. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

Rubbing a slightly cool tumbled stone all over your face

• Like x 5
  19. Socket

Socket fuzzy tabletop goblin

the texture of that very specific kind of ice, like in freeze pops sometimes, where you bite it and it turns to so many tiny flat layer shards

clean bedsheets + clean pyjama + clean body combo

cat activation sound

lush's jelly soaps. the texture. they're so good.

very clear slime in pretty colours (and high-quality gifs thereof), bonus points for extra-fine glitter

• Like x 5
  20. Greywing

Greywing Resident dead bird

• Having someone lie on top of me
    • Dogs sleeping curled up next to me or splayed out over me
    • Looking at a clock exactly as it changes to a new hour
    • Finishing a good book or rereading a book I've read before
    • Watering all my plants (or even better but obviously much rarer, repotting plants)

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice