Scents & Sensibility

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by chthonicfatigue, Jun 25, 2015.

1. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I have a ton of bpal/tal imps and some fullsize bottles!! i really love them but only found out about the site relatively recently, and the $25 international shipping fee isnt budget friendly so i have a lot less BPAL than i would like. I ALMOST got Gelt when it came out (along with a bunch of non-minty scents) but my wallet was still recovering from the halloween LEs, and I forgot to get into a decant circle in time. Oops.

Lionheart is from the ritual oils, right? I've been eyeing it for a while, but I wasn't sure I'd like the scent - but it sounds lovely. I have Determination and Hand of Hermes imps that I wear when I need to crack a really tough paper, and Aegis for a bit of pick me up, but I have a mix of respect and weariness on the magic-y stuff with TAL. still have a wishlist the size of planet fucking jupiter, but not much money for it, sadly.

2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I like nice smells enough to be in the middle of starting up my own indie perfume business. I also like the smell of ferrets. Ones in clean enclosures, I mean. Ever smelled a tiny baby ferret? It's all fuzzy and milky and d'awwww.

• Like x 4
  3. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Favourite smells: lavender (it always makes me think of roses for some reason), and books, and clean sunwarmed clothes. Also fresh bread, and tea and coffee.

Least favourite: there's a little indie perfumery from Cape Breton that Matesprit got me some stuff from and one of the teeny bottles is called Morphine. I don't remember what it's supposed to smell like - smoke and vodka, maybe? But what it actually smells like to me is rotten potatoes. Gag-inducingly so. I cannot wear it, and it smells like that even in the bottle to me, which is just deeply distressing.
    (Having sniff-tested a few of the other offerings from the same perfumer, I think it might be something about how rose oil's interacting with something else in there? Because I sniffed a couple that were allegedly supposed to smell like roses, and nope. Nope, that's rotten potatoes.)
    Also, the smell of mouldy things.

• Like x 2
  4. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I hate plenty of smells and can't exactly think of which one I hate the most, TBH.
    But one thing I was surprised to find that it smelled good was tear gas. At least the kind they use here, and when you're far enough away that it doesn't burn your eyes.

5. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Sea smell is my favorite. I'm also very fond of the distinct mix of surf wax, sea salt, and sand that permeates the cars of surfers. Cat smell is also VERY GOOD. As is the smell of the bed things of certain people. I'm fond of my blankets and also my mother's as an example. This soothes me. Greatly. I love smelly smells of people. Unless I hate you or think you're not hot in which case my nose goes OH GODS NO WHY PLEASE NO.

• Like x 1
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I decided to make and later sell some sleep blends for people who hate lavender. I just made a floral one, can do a woodsy one and an incensey one as well.

• Like x 2
  7. shmeed

shmeed plant me

i love smells!!! i'm transitioning to male and one of the biggest things i'm going to miss is perfume. (i know i technically can still wear it, but i'd rather not until i pass better. i still wear it at home, though)
    my favorites are patchouli, rose, wood, citrus, rain, and honeysuckle. my favorite blend smells like a sunny summer day. notes are sticky peaches with incense and amber (and it's being discontinued ;~;)
    i have a cologne that smells like wood and water. i don't know what the notes are exactly but it's lovely.
    i also love the way most food smells while cooking. cooked rice has such a nice subtle smell. chocolate chip cookies, right as they're about done, are heavenly. cooking meat is complicated (it makes my mouth water but i don't really love the smell, just the knowledge of what i'm about to eat). fresh bread is a perfect smell.
    also i really love the smell of gasoline but apparently it's bad to inhale or smth

• Like x 2
  8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

perfume and soap kinda smells can all go die in ice
    you'd think they'd vary too much for me to hate all of them, but you would be wrong

smells i do like: sawdust (instant nostalgia trip to my grandpa's basement carpentry workshop), petrichor, dirt, books, rocksmoke

i also smell pain, so, uh, that's a thing (it's not particularly pleasant, but it's a lot better than perfume!)

9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Really? What does pain smell like?

10. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

Something very touching has just happened: I'm watching Dylan Marron interview a Holocaust survivor, and seeing his face and hearing his accent (the interviewee, I mean, not Dylan Marron) is making me think of the smell of my great-great-aunt, who died when I was fifteen. When I first started recalling the smell (bearing in mind this was like, 3 minutes ago) I associated it with my grandfather, I guess because the guy reminds me a little bit of my grandfather; then I thought, no, it's a bit further back than that, and I realised that my grandfather doesn't have an accent like this guy - but my aunt did. So now I'm reliving a lot of scents that I'd mostly forgotten, and it is very emotional, but not in a bad way.

• Like x 1
  11. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Unfortunately for the sake of sharing weird experience things, pain smells like literally nothing else.

12. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

The smell that comes out of the dryer vent when its running is the best smell ever. Though a close second is animal smells like from a dog or cat. I don't like giving my dog a bath because it washes away that smell for a few days.

Worse smell is any sort of cleaning solutions or coins, or maybe cigarettes.

13. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

I loooooove earthy scents, like basil and mahogany and leather, but sweet scents and floral scents I mostly hate. (food scents just make me SO HUNGRY so I avoid them.)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice