SCP thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by al Fine, Oct 19, 2016.

1. blue

blue hightown funk you up

playing "spot the reference" in this series is fun. "that reagan thing in 88," huh? "those fucking tomatoes," huh?

• Like x 3
  2. blue

"THAT STAIRWELL," HUH

• Like x 2
  3. blue

oh my god is the Director putting on The Hanged King's Tragedy

• Like x 3
  4. blue

‘GLORIOUS LEADERS WHILE TALKING (UNCUT)’
    i'm laughing help

• Like x 3
  5. blue

Conclusion: I really enjoyed The Cool Wars a lot! I don't think I ~got it, but what I did get was clever, and I am unfairly attached to all of these background artists who just make weird shit.

And to Tangerine. Poor Tangerine.

• Like x 3
  6. blue

wow these antimemetics stories are good. :D

eta: marion wheeler is terrifying and i love her

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    • Like x 6
  7. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

wow, that was really good!

8. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

I've made it to the sixth page of top-ranked SCPs and am taking a break because I'm skimming again. categories of SCP, in my estimation:

-weird object
    -demon object
    -edgelordy
    -INCREDIBLY CREEPY
    -hilarious send-up of existing SCP entry/cultural touchstone
    -creepy thing that's actually sad when you think about it
    -somebody's cool* OC

so many SCP objects and phenomena could be considered 'accidental relics of someone trying majjyyks and fucking it up', and I love that, a lot, except for when it's sad because that thing is all that's left of them and now it's just a creepy trinket getting poked by nerds in a bunker somewhere. and a bunch of the other ones could be quantified as 'the detectable, anglerfish-esque parts of various horrific whatsits that want to eat your eye jellies and inhabit your corpse'. I have a lot of feelings about the SCP experience in general and how it's basically applying science to magic and hoping that gets you somewhere, and my operating theory is that there are a bunch of youngish, largely-male, largely-American contributors who are reconciling their religious upbringing and culture with the things they learned in school and are experiencing as science progresses and the world changes and all that. but even that doesn't describe the entirety of the site, because like all fandoms it's not a monolith, and I just. love it. even the bits that are stupid. what an excellent bizarre creation.

*technically belongs in the 'edgelordy' section but there are probably exceptions, somewhere

• Like x 8
  9. devils-avocado

• Like x 3
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

There are also ones that are "just plain weird and hilarious" (the tomatoes, the sea slug, the house that communicates with a casually racist alien). And non-hilarious incredibly creepy meta-commentary ones, like the teddy bear.

• Like x 2
  11. devils-avocado

some of my absolute fave SCPs are the ones that combine absurdity and genuinely disturbing things. like the mountain peak that regularly launches mice out of a cannon into the surrounding wilderness (and if you go inside it, you will get hopelessly lost and also dead). and the tomatoes are amazing. tbh my categories list is at least half joking and definitely a product of personal opinion :P (I forgot to add 'gross' and 'I wrote this SCP so I could refer to it in another SCP's writeup')

what part of the teddy bear one is meta-commentary? is that the builder bear?

• Like x 5
  12. Birdy

Birdy so long

the logs on the fucking mouse cannon are upsetting

racist eldritch abomination is one of my favorites. my favorite scps in that kind of mode are the corncrake and the communist spiders

also this sweetie but keep an eye out for a bit of an ominous edge

fuck

ow

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Like x 4
  13. devils-avocado

ahahahaha the communist spiders are incredible

I dunno if I get what's up with the corncrake, but it definitely makes me laugh. I love how it seems to be bizarrely powerful in addition to being just a garden-variety non-malicious pain in the ass

• Like x 2
  14. LadyNighteyes

That's the one. If I'm remembering right (and I may not be), it was written in part because the author was annoyed at kinda weird but harmless and cute Safes that were given free run of the Site they were on and were basically pets. So it's intended as, "no, that's a bad idea, and this is why."

• Like x 1
  15. Birdy

Birdy so long

according to the comments these are people's theories for what do

• "a cosmic (possibly divine) being on extended vacation in the form of a corncrake
    • a looney toons character set loose in the SCPverse
    • a planeswalker with vast knowledge of the multiverse
    • an unfathomably ancient immortal
    • a being from a neighboring plane of existence where he makes total sense
    • any of the above, but also mildly insane and ditzy
    • all of the above"

• Like x 3
  16. devils-avocado

tin can labcoat guy 1802 really struck me as one of the sad ones, like he's pretty much a performance art installation with self-awareness and that seems like a hell of a way to live. :/ but I also feel bad for the malicious computer program that only communicates in rage-shorthand, because robo-empathy problems :P

• Like x 1
  17. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

My favorite is the weirdass interdimensional berry stuck to a fly paper.

• Like x 1
  18. Birdy

Birdy so long

my favorite thing about scp 1802 is

it keeps trying to open its own head, even though there's nothing inside

considering he's essentially just a mean parody of the foundation

what do you think that says about them?

:3

• Like x 5
  19. LadyNighteyes

What about the data disc from an alien equivalent of the Foundation talking about the terrifying, mysterious, and deadly object they found which, if you read between the lines,
    is a laptop
    ?

• Like x 4
  20. devils-avocado

huh, interesting! I had no idea. it did seem like it was written with a specific 'moral' or point to it, but I couldn't figure out what that was, and just found it tasteless and weird (that was one of the ones I disliked on completely subjective grounds, oddly enough).
    omg excellent

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice