Selling Custom Computers???

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, Aug 18, 2017.

1. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I'd really love to make and sell custom computers for people, and stream the building process because I love building computers. But, I don't know how to go about that, or if people would even be interested in that.

Does anyone have any advice on doing something like that?

2. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

You've talked to Prinz lots about the parts finding stuff - he might have ideas on ways to monetize it.
    The biggest problem I see is the shipping cost as 'not a big corp' gets really high and might eat up the savings you give your customers.
    The upside is they get a better puter.
    Downside, most peoples don't care about having a better puter, as long as it has a brand name they can point to for nerd cred. The games they play are already way behind the hardware they are playing them on - they won't see any difference.
    You is aiming at a niche market and I has no idea how to do stuff that involves interacting with peoples.

EDIT: this totally uninformative post as a prime example.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Agree x 1
  3. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

I is poking @PrinzVyper now that he told me which of his avatars is the one he uses

4. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

One of the things I'd like to do before doing this type of thing is do a ton of research into how everything works, and works together, and then start. I want to be able to answer questions and do this in a kind of educational way.

5. PrinzVyper

PrinzVyper "Cum cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus."

Sorry for the late reply.

While building custom PC's is fun, there are a few drawbacks:

1. You get stuck with end-user support duties. I mean forever. Even if they buy another PC later, from someone else. Even if the problem is their own damned fault. For minor issues too. You must be prepared for this.

2. Custom PC's is a very niche market. Unless you are doing something very special and high-end, like custom water-cooling loops.

3. Price point. You will never be able to compete on price with the big guys.

4. You must purchase an OEM version of the windows 10 license for every machine you build. Either that or install a Linux variant, I'd recommend Mint.

This is why I no longer build machines for anyone but friends and family, and even then I make them do all the actual work while I offer advice. Then I still end up doing end-user support, but quite a bit less, and for more serious issues.

6. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I hadn't thought about the support stuff, though I knew about the shipping. More to follow after I get off work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice