(Semi Urgent) Didn't pass math, have jury duty, have to human communication

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Arxon, May 21, 2015.

1. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

Alright, so I didn't pass my math class (I got like a 66% total and a 60% on the final) and today I got this email from my professor:
    Problem: I have jury duty during those dates. It is too late to get out of jury duty. I have no idea what to do and I have no idea what to tell her and I am kinda flipping out just at having to contact her, let alone in the negative, because I am super ad at sending formal emails and I am kinda a little convinced that if I piss her off she could get me expelled or something. Dos anyone have any wording advice or know what to do?

2. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

Wait, a "D" is a fail? Damn.

Jury Duty isn't something you can get out of, but depending on whether or not you get chosen, you could get out early or not have to go back for more than one day. I could give you advice on how to get them to reject you as a juror? (it's essentially tell them that your emotions concerning the case will affect your decision.)

Would it help for one of us here to write out an email skeleton for you?

3. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Two ghost-written emails:

1:
    Dear Prof X:

I want to participate in the Second Chance Program, but I have been called for jury duty during that time. I am trying to get my service postponed, but I don't know if that will happen. Also I may be stricken early in jury selection and be able to participate. So, please send the referral for me and let me know if there is any way to do this after my jury service is done on {date}?

2:
    Dear Clerk of Court (or whoever):

I just learned I have to attend a review and test for my class X at school Y. While this request is late, is it possible to reschedule my jury service until after Wednesday, June 3, so I can go to my review session and test?

Thank you for you consideration in this matter.

Courts really try to bend over backwards to help people with jury service scheduling.

• Like x 2
  4. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

@Enzel Yeah my friend actually went looking through my schools code of conduct and a D isn't a failing grade, but at the very least i need a C to take any of the math classes that are a requirement for transfer so. I am not to worried about being picked as a juror because I assume by the time I get to that point I will be a stammering and crying mess, which I am pretty sure would not reflect well on me.
    @rigorist Thank you so much. I sent both messages, hopefully I'll hear back soon, and thank you again, the ghost written emails really helped.

5. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i love that rigs wrote 'dear professor x' because now i am imagining that @Arxon attends mutant high :D

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  7. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

If phones are a thing you can do, I've had good luck with calling the court when I failed to send in my "I can't do jury bc class" form on time. "Hello, my name is FirstName LastName. I have been called for jury duty on Date. However I just learned that I have a review session and test for class X at school Y at that time. Is there any way I can be rescheduled for a date after Date?"
    When I did this, the person just said "Ok, we'll call you next month and send you another form then" and that was it. (And then a month later I filled out the form properly, got it notarized and included a copy of my schedule and got out of jury duty again because summer classes. maybe this time they'll throw their hands up and give up for a couple years)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice