Shipping Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by furrylatula, Jan 12, 2017.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I don't ship it because I feel like there's a lot of potential there for the exploration of nonromantic alien relationships - like, this is a species that doesn't really have a concept of "parents" and yet here is a clear parental-ish type thing going on! let's talk about that! but no. It obviously has to be sexual romance and never anything else.

I guess what I'm saying is I ship them vaguely pale and the fandom ships them flushed and I'm Irked

• Like x 1
  2. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I'm impossible with only shipping friendship, I come up with 'so these two enemies who hate each other--' scenarios and always end up trying to make them kiss. But that being said, super-saccharine flushed dratchet bugs me. And I've seen so much wounded bird stuff that... I'll still read it and roll around in the emotions, but it's not the same characters that we see on the page, I can't reconcile them at all. I ship it mainly pitch, I'd... need significant on-page development to take it as moirails-pale, but I'd be into other flavors of nonsexual stuff, and I have serious trouble believing it flush unless they're incredibly snarky and their default mode is giving each other massive amounts of affectionate shit. I have fun reading the wounded bird stuff, but it's... really not a good fit.

All that being said, this probably isn't the best thread for me, hahaha. I can't think of any for-real notps in any of the fandoms I've been in. I'm picky about ships, but generally most of my griping comes from people getting quadrants wrong (see: sugar-sweet flushed megop, megastar, etc). If I think of anything else, I'll be back. I want to chime in, I'd really like to figure out the edges of where my multishipping gives out, but right now I'm just drawing a blank :P

(i am very cold on driftceptor compared to just about any other drift ship, but i'll still enjoy quality driftceptor content when it is placed in front of me)

fake edit: I just read some very Incorrect shockwave/starscream, and the setup was hot and I'm on board with the (hate)ship, but shockwave would not be tenderly wiping tears from starscream's cheeks, literally any other character would have been a better match for that action

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 2
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

You could be like me and just lament a lack of your favorite murder ships.

• Like x 1
  4. Aondeug

-laments how good proper dolofang is somehow not as popular as johndave or davekat-

your priorities are bad homestuck fandom very bad

• Like x 3
  5. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

I hate Aragorn/Legolas. I hate it so much. Aragorn has been engaged to Arwen for SIXTY YEARS, they're a direct parallel to Beren and Luthien both in- and out-of-universe, they have both made their choices and their sacrifices—it's a done deal. There is no good reason, ever, for Aragorn to decide he wants to bone some other Elf instead. (Also, there's no clearer indication that someone has only seen the movies than them writing Aragorn and Legolas all up in each other's sexy business, and I…don't enjoy fan content produced by people who have only seen the movies.) >:(

And Legolas belongs with Gimli. No, I don't care if you think Dwarves are ugly and you've only seen the movies so you think Gimli's dumb. They sail to Valinor together. It's fucking canon. /rage

• Like x 13
  6. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

THANK YOU
    there's a semi-popular fandom blogger i like who hardcore ships vrisrezi and i am Not A Fan, especially after retcon vriska was so abusive towards everyone.

also gency from overwatch. like, ok, part of this is my Prejudice Against M/F Ships, but also it's probably going to become canon and it. doesn't feel like there's any chemistry there.
    i mean, i'm a hypocrite because mchanzo is the weirdest and farthest from canon ship i can think of and i love it, but. *clings stubbornly*

harry/ginny isn't........i don't really like it. there's nothing there. there's no explanation. it would be infinitely better for harry/ron/hermione to be in some form of relationship instead bc at least they talked, ever? other than the conversation w ginny in......whatever book it was about possession and her childhood crush on him, it was never really developed? but then later they're just Married

• Like x 8
  7. Aondeug

Legolagorn is a fucking sin and even Satan dislikes it.

Tolkien fandom oddly is the one area where I don't ship outside of canon. Like the idea of Beren with anyone but Luthien is just very perplexing to me. I don't hate the shipping non-canon things, though. Just kind of very "eh?" about it all.

• Like x 4
  8. Aondeug

drie's fish/aden and drie/aden are not ships that exist with lots of art for them and this is bullshit

9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

wait, since when is gency going to become canon?? I don't recall seeing any indications of that in lore or voicelines... I hope it's not true, that ship is so bluh to me compared to genyatta. and I kinda headcanon Mercy as aromantic anyway.

10. Aondeug

That feel when you feel vaguely resentful towards your own ship because it gets in the way of another ship you like even more.

god dammit pharah just go away your mom is better

and yet

pharmercy is so good

BUT ANAMERCY

• Like x 1
  11. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

There's a couple datamined lines for Valentines wherein Mercy and Genji exchange chocolates.

I. Think I might headcannon Mercy as aromantic as well, actually. Like, in my head she holds herself very emotionally distant from people, and tends to form kinda shallow relationships wherein her interest sorta begins and ends with their health and well being in a very general sense. I can see Genji crushing on her, but I don't even see Mercy viewing them as friends. Like, Genji just doesn't get that saving lives is what Mercy does. Mercy cares about your well being because she's Mercy and that's what she does. In my head, Mercy works, and that's her life. That's what makes her happy and holds her interest, and anything that's not Vanquishing Death is just sorta. There. Genji's like, 'you work so hard, you should take a break, wanna get dinner *blushu*' and Mercy's just like, "oh, that's nice and all but I will be busy for the rest of forever my dude I am gonna teach Death to fear me."

• Like x 3
  12. Aondeug

Mercy for me is a depressed bisexual kinkster with a taste for sadism. And more sadism. All the sadism in fact.

13. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Yeahhh, honestly I ship Ginny/Luna more than I ship Harry/Ginny, these days. The Ginny/Harry relationship wasn't well-developed at all, and there's a lot of reasons for Ginny to go "no, actually, fuck off with you and your Boy Who Lived nonsense, I want none of you any more". Chief among them: he dumped her, right before fucking off on a year-long quest, on grounds of "you'll be safer if you're not connected to me". Because, y'know, no one's going to suspect that he'd dump her to make it look like he's not interested. No one's going to go "hey, one of her brothers is with Potter" or "let's use her as leverage against the rest of her family, to keep them in line". And it's utterly impossible that Tom was listening in right when he explained that he was dumping her for her own safety.
    Secondly, his impulse was to try and shove her into Hogwarts, when he damn well should've known that it was going to be one of the least safe places for the daughter of a known blood traitor, rather than try to bring her along so that they had help on the quest. Thirdly, and this is working from emotion: he wasn't there to rescue her or stand with her. Not when it counted. Not during the whole of that year, not up until the very end. (And then he died.) He wasn't there to try and protect her or stand with her when she was being lashed with pain spells and Crucios for having dared to defy the Death Eaters who were teaching at the school, he wasn't there to help run a successful rebellion, he wasn't doing anything that seemed useful at all, in fact! He was off fucking around in a forest in the winter.

That...doesn't really suggest that they're romantically involved, to me? They're colleagues. And more than that, Genji's Japanese and the culture there is "are we friends? If yes, you get chocolates on this holiday". All it says to me is that they're friendly enough that Genji feels like he needs to give obligation chocolates and is doing it when she'd expect chocolates, rather than on White Day (when he'd normally give them in Japan).

• Like x 10
    • Agree x 1
  14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Okay, I don't play Overwatch but I still can't stand Gency. Simply out of spite because my 13-year-old brother insists that "Mercy is useless unless you have a Genji on your team".

15. Aondeug

D:<

-grumpily hugs her pharah-

• Like x 2
  16. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

(i definitely agree with everything you said about harry/ginny)

but regardless of culture and context it sounds like the probable beginnings of Another Inexplicable Canon Het Ship In Media and i dearly hope that i am wrong and that blizzard Doesn't do the thing but also i don't have that much hope

• Like x 2
  17. Shwoo

Shwoo Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it for a while, but it was pretty annoying when people in the Adventure Time fandom tried to claim Jinn wasn't incest because Finn and Jake weren't related by blood. Jake's parents adopted Finn when he was a baby. They are 1000% brothers, and they act like it. Stop denying important pieces of characterisation to make your ship more respectable. Just ship it.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  18. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

This probably makes me a hypocrite because I love Dirk/Hal so much and that commonly is tagged as Stridercest but

I really really really really hate Bro/Dave

So much I hate it so much it makes me throw up in my mouth.

Never gonna get to anti levels of 'if you write or draw anything involving them being sexy and romantic you're TERRIBLE' but I'm glad to have a blacklist because it v consistently mirrored my second lot of abuse in a really uncanny way ;n;

• Agree x 1
  19. a small fis)(

a small fis)( 26 people in a trench coat

johnroxy feels so generic and forced 2 me and it doesnt help that a lotta the shippers r like het reddit dudebros... leave it in 2016 roxy loves her gf calliope

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 1
  20. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

I don't like and have never liked GamTav.... Its not a dealbreaker, I can take it if there's a lot built on? Like an AU or a lot of character development over time, or if it's written to be at least somewhat messed up... But I didn't see a capacity for pure fluff in the comic the way it seems a lot of people did...

And it bugs me because it seems like a "default ship" that gets into a lot of other fics because why not pair up every side character? My OTP for Tavros is no one, stop pestering this child with romance.

Pettiness: it also doesn't help that I think peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are gross. XD

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice