Shipping Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by furrylatula, Jan 12, 2017.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I was intending a non-game AU with different difficult events, but that's really sweet and I might save it for something else :)

2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Also TFW you hate a ship because you think the character dynamic is boring and want to bitch about how it's everywhere but the only other people you can find who hate it are obvious homophobes, denying the canon ship-teasing which has been obvious since the beginning, and/or crying abuse where there is none.

• Witnessed x 5
  3. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

tfw you ship a ship really fucking hard but it's Problematic because there's a giant agegap but you're pretty sure if it weren't for that it would be one of the most popular ships in the fandom because it's a very similar story to the actual most popular ship in the fandom... and because of that I can't fucking read anything of the actual most popular ship without being abjectly reminded of the Problematic ship I ship much harder... and of the fact that it's got next to no fanworks for it.

sighs gently.

• Witnessed x 9
  4. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

God, the fricking lists of fricking lgbt characters, where they insist on locking every-fucking-one down to a single cleanly worded identity. Based on almost nothing but canon ships. Anode is trans? Yes! Absolutely! Anode is a lesbian? Because she hasn't said a word about orientation but is married to a lady? NO, stopppp. Anode thought she was a guy marrying a guy at the time, but does that even register? Of course not! Anode is a lady married to a a lady, therefore the only possible thing she can be is a lesbian.

Chromedome and Rewind are gay and only gay. Same goes for Prowl. And Tailgate and Cyclonus. Let's go ahead and say Drift is solely attracted to guys, because another character in the comic thought he was romantically involved with a guy.

The majority of the cast in mtmte has had little to no exposure to 'female' as an identity in the course of their lives? HA, foolish fool, were you expecting me to actually read this comic or something?

Nautica gets to be one of those rare, elusive bisexuals (OR pansexuals, we are being super inclusive by listing both those possibilities, right? :D ) because she is at the middle of a big polyamorous palerom tangle that involves both men and women. She is simultaneously dating ladies and dudes so I SUPPOSE she isn't attracted to just one gender. Fine. And skids is bisexual (or pansexual) because he was used to illustrate the point that the average cybertronian doesn't have much grasp on gender ('I met your friend with the fancy fire hair and makeup and danced with him' 'my friend is a lady' 'oh, okay')

This would be so much more fun! And so much more accurate!! If the person making this list just limited themselves to 'lgbtq characters' without insisting on slapping a label on it!!! It's that easy. Show the character, show them being queer, and that's all you need! Literally the only label anyone has arguably claimed in canon is Arcee/Anode/Lug discussing being trans, and even then, they aren't playing terminology bingo. Which is without even getting into how frustrating it is to hyperfixate on gender-dependent labels when most of the cast seems to react to the idea of gender as 'um, okay?'. That’s so rare! Why are you ignoring this cool, uncommon gender shit in favor of the inaccurate, frustrating, erasure-flavored gender shit??

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    • Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 4
  5. warehawker

warehawker Raptor King Of Kiss My Ass

I'd be way less bored with canon het pairings if people didn't seem determined to reduce them to uwu perfect fluffy couples.

• Agree x 17
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

*takes long, tired sip of tea in silent agreement*

• Agree x 4
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

The apparent inviolability of roles assigned to characters in m/m ships.

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 3
  8. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

god do you guys remember the SasuNaru/NaruSasu discourse?

• Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 4
  9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Unfortunately yes

• Agree x 3
  10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Modern fandom can piss me off in a million ways but at least the prevalence of "the seme/uke roles are denoted by who's name shows up first in the ship portmanteau" has died off.

• Agree x 13
  11. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

You say that, but I know of an artist who started tagging their shit "Huxlo" for exactly that reason.

• Witnessed x 9
  12. LadyNighteyes

YOI Badfic Friend has complained to me many times about how a huge proportion of Viktuuri fic portrays Yuuri as a Sweet Empathetic Delicate Cinnamon Roll Virgin Uke because he has canonical anxiety and self-esteem issues and Viktor acts self-confident and sexually forward. Apparently the mpreg is 90% pregnant-Yuuri, too.

• Witnessed x 4
  13. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

It probably says something that for a second I was trying to figure out why Hux would be topping Han Solo instead of his son.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  14. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

i would........ read that fic..................... >_>

• Agree x 4
  15. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I immediately went to AO3 to see if anyone'd written Hux/Han, and it turns out nope. There is, however, one reader/many many SW characters fic that features a Hux/"you"/Han threesome. So, there's that.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Ooooh my god I actually forgot that that was a thing that hapened

• Agree x 2
  17. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Man, speaking of seme/uke shit, I cannot believe that I can go onto tumblr.com in the year of our lord 2018 and find posts bitching about how a character's too manly to take it up the ass. Or, like, demands that people explain their desire to see a specific dude getting fucked, like the answer is ever any more complicated than "i like how this dude looks with a cock up his ass."

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 3
  18. LadyNighteyes

A friend of mine reports that one of their friends has a rule(TM) they use when writing M/M pairings just to spite that: whoever looks better in a dress tops. (If they both look equally good in a dress, they switch.)

• Winner x 13
    • Like x 3
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I originally thought Davepeta/Jade was sort of cute but I'm now inclined to agree with discourse about it from Tumblr's turntechgodoka and now I'm uneasy with the sprite-squareds in general.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Dear FoW fans,

Reiya fucking Gill does not make Zero/Fieth a sunken ship or somehow non-canonical. It still very much is canonical at least at one point and, keep in mind, we have confirmed two Zeroes running around the plot with a potential third and at least three separate Fiethsings. This one Fiethsing and this one potential Zero exist in the remade timeline where everything is hunky dory. Other things to consider here, the last thing the Zero who becomes Reiya ever heard from her timeline's version of her dead wife is that there's nothing to cling to in the past and that everyone should just move on and be happy. Reiya presumably happily fucking Gill and having a kid with someone who seems to value her and trust her is probably a good candidate for 'not clinging to the past and moving on and being happy'.

also have you heard of

polyamory

wink wink

No but really there's like ten different ways you can handle this fucking situation, none of which need end in Zero/Fieth was never a canonical ship.

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice