Shipping Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by furrylatula, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Hawkeguy

Hawkeguy struggling to complete this thought

[glaring at like 80% of transformers shipfics] stop with the lame toothrotting fluff shit and let the mechs have their affectionate snarkery and needling, fuck's sake

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 3
  2. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

so much of the davekat fandom ignores, handwaves, or outright forgets that karkat has any trauma at all.
    and it’s super fucking frustrating to see so many people erasing all of karkat’s trauma and history so he can be a perfect blank slate Comforting Boyfriend for dave.

i once outright saw an askblog post, when asked “what makes dave and karkat cry” respond saying that “karkat’s past was fucked up but it’s over now so it doesn’t bother him. he only cries at movies. dave gets nightmares and has flashbacks tho”
    what’s a little thing like knowing you could die any moment and no one would care right? it’s over now, so it ~doesn’t matter.~ ugh.
    dave’s not the only one with ptsd in this relationship, fandom!

• Witnessed x 14
    • Agree x 2
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I wish there was more Jaspis stuff where it's portrayed as a mutually toxic, horrible, destructive relationship instead of just one abusing the other. As it is, most of it is...just Jasper abusing Lapis (occasionally the roles are reversed but it's relatively rare to see), which is so far removed from how their canon relationship went!

Like...for fuck's sake, Lapis outright admitted that "liked taking everything out on (Jasper)," AND Jasper coerced her into the whole thing. Neither of them are blameless there.

Please, for the love of all that is good and trashy, give me the mutually-abusive Jaspis that the world needs.

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I'm frustrated and disturbed by the lack of people who portray Lapis as also abusive. Like.

Very.

Frustrated and disturbed.

• Agree x 7
  5. rje

rje here comes the sun

Well of course, Jasper is the big strong butch scary one and Lapis is the delicate sad feminine victim. She can't have done anything wrong you know, she's pretty!

• Witnessed x 8
  6. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Sick of all F/F ships being turned into sexless, strifeless cuddlefests and Cute Coupliness. Heck, that's why I like Moicy in Overwatch, Moira is evil and prickly enough that it's a lot harder making her ships Cute. Though there's still lots of it.

• Agree x 12
    • Witnessed x 2
  7. Aondeug

let women fuck and let women be fucks

• Agree x 11
  8. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I'm getting Really Tired of the ~feferi as a catalyst~ for the ~real ship~ narrative I see in a lot of polyfic that involves feferi
    hell even shit that's not polyfic
    "oh she appears for five minutes to be a sounding board and offer advice!! AND THEN THE REAL SHIP GETS TOGETHER!!!!"
    in the polyfic it's.....Not Good sometimes though because she'll just be like....there, said to be part of the relationship, but when Actual Relationship Things Happen she's like. the one behind the camera, or on the sidelines cheering them on

or like if it's sex? nope, she can't have any, she'll just sit on the side and coo over her "sweet boys" and how good they're doing

tbf I feel like a lot of female characters get this treatment but my investment in erifefsol is at a new level of Ridiculous so it's the one I see the most and I do Not like it

• Witnessed x 12
  9. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

it continues to baffle me that a large number of the (like ten, to be fair) Moira/Gabe fics on AO3 are fluffy. I could make an argument for them having a healthy relationship at least initially, but after he gets Reaperized? nah

10. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Yeah ... that ain't gonna happen. Those are not two happy people and a relationship between them is going to be interesting, but not fluffy.

• Agree x 1
  11. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

people on discord: *talk about a rvb het ship i don't like*

me: oh, if only discord had tumblr saviour...

• Witnessed x 1
  12. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

hmm. i could see it being sortta... murder-fluffy, i guess? Like, they don't ever talk about feelings or get deep and emotional with each other, they just swan around being Assholes and Very Extra and having Witty Repartee with each other while murderizing everything in their path. Totally not a healthy happy kind of fluff, more the cotton candy made out of razorwire kind of fluff.

• Agree x 2
  13. Aondeug

dear touhou fandom: the question is not inu sakuya or babysitter sakuya with remi

the true answer is

porque no los dos

14. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I am edgy and would therefore read the shit outta this

15. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

"problems haha what problems, we don't have problems, we had problems once but now all we have left is Extra Murder and that's why we don't have problems any more."

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
  16. Aondeug

tfw you go back to a post of yours to see a rating and see a name and mistake it for a different character entirely and are like 'since when the fuck was there enough fow shipfic to even have lapis' portrayal in fow fandom be a concern shipping wise??????'

• Witnessed x 2
  17. Birdy

Birdy so long

i just don't get the appeal of zutara

it's weird, because i generally like enemies-to-lovers stuff, but i just...i never saw it or liked it. maybe because i got into ATLA at an age where i wasn't yet interested in shipping at all, but i still just don't get why it's so big, and why it's almost accepted in the fandom as just a thing everyone likes

• Agree x 4
  18. Aondeug

Redemption arcs and bad boys is the appeal. At least for me it was.

• Informative x 1
  19. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I was ride or die Zuko/Sokka for about the same reason (and in my tiny teenage heart, a flame of Katara/Azula burned on..............)

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  20. Aondeug

Toph/Azula was more my bag but that was a good one too. Azula ships in general are fun messes.

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice