Shipping Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by furrylatula, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

i wish people had like. the edeleth fanbase's love for PAIN and CONFLICT. as well as its love for fluff. variety for all!

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Yeah absolutely. Some people love coffee shop AUs and I’m not angling to be the grinch who stole Starbucks. If that’s all there is, I’ll be disappointed because it’s not usually my speed, but that’s how it be sometimes. If I start to realize the fan scene is hostile to anyone liking other things and that’s why there’s nothing else, then that is angering.

• Agree x 11
    • Winner x 1
  3. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i want to rate your post ‘Winner’ for this specific sentence

• Agree x 11
    • Like x 2
  4. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Also it's kind of wild because every single fan I've ever known has gone through cycles of everything-soft-and-fluffy-and-wonderful and let them bleed and I wonder what the fuck the people who write nothing but soft-focus no-conflict vignettes are gonna do when they get the urge for something meatier? Freak out about how they're suddenly evil for craving variety?

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
  5. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

oh thank god I feel less alone
    OH GOD YEAH THIS SHIP
    it's an interesting concept !!!! but both girls are stripped of all personality to make it happen! why is bsd fandom Like That

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Perhaps nothing-but-fluff people are there to counterbalance people like me. I think Deadpool is the best comfort movie. The only slice of life anime I like is Saiki K. He is gonna make it slice of life but he reserves the right to complain. I love a happy ending, but I’ll probably be on edge or bored if we don’t go through hell on the way.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  7. Aondeug

the yin and yang of fandom

• Agree x 9
  8. HonestlyVan

Fandom rarepair zine: "We've defined 'rarepair' as a ship with under 200 works on Ao3"
    Me, whose most popular ship barely breaks 70: ha ha ha oh man

• Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 2
  9. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

there's 17 works in this one ship tag of mine, and 3 of them are my own stuff

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 1
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

by that metric my entire fandom is a rarepair

• Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 1
  11. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I think Rare Male Slash Exchange has the <200 definition too, so that might have been where it was pulled from... but as has been pointed out every time noms come around, the ratio of rarepair:fandom size scales very poorly most of the time.

edit: Admittedly, I live in fear of that threshold being lowered, because I've singlehandedly spammed my rarepair's tag enough to haul it up into the top 5 of my tiny fandom.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    • Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
  12. TheOwlet

...Winnessed?

• Agree x 5
  13. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

This is an 'in general' gripe, and it's actually more directed at me as a person but I hate how I can ship person 1 of my OTP with just about anybody but person 2 I just can't even consider, let alone get invested in, other ships of without feeling bad and vaguely sick and @ myself WHY

• Witnessed x 5
  14. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

im in hell because i ship a rarepair that has EXACTLY two other works of fanart that arent either mine or my friends, and zero fics. like im fine with doing some of the work but holy shit!!! fandom i am begging you to give me food to eat, this is SUCH an obvious ship im in hell

• Witnessed x 11
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Only one Stanley/Zero fic on AO3 and it's explicit without ageing-up, which I'm a lot less triggered by than I used to be but it's still really not my fave thing.

• Witnessed x 1
  16. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

I am currently responsible for approximately 98% (By word count) of the fic for my current OTP on Ao3

• Witnessed x 11
    • Winner x 2
  17. TheOwlet

GOOD THO

it's your city now, make those peasants bow to you

• Agree x 2
  18. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

Yeah but I wanna read some that I didn't write y'know? XD

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 2
  19. Aondeug

As someone who has been in that position before I feel you. Very hard.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 2
  20. HonestlyVan

What is "[character]/[character]/etc" even trying to communicate about what sort of polyamorous nonsense I'm getting into here? Does you leaving out the most contentious character off the ones you listed imply they're not a part of this?

This cast is like. Fifty people, who is included in "etc" here?

• Witnessed x 9
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice