Shipping Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by furrylatula, Jan 12, 2017.

1. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

I hated that so much and I couldn't help but compare these things unfavorably to FMA's handling of Winry Rockbell. When she's told to go someplace safe, she tells Ed to fuck right off with that idea, she's staying and if everybody isn't saved she doesn't want to be saved- and both Ed and the narrative respect her decision. Even though she'd been actually used as a hostage before, not just the possibility. Same with Hermione deciding she has the right to mindwipe her parents for their "safety", though that one's not shippy and may not necessarily belong here. Just. "Their own safety" is not a good enough reason to ignore the agency of a fucking adult, you protagonist-centric assholes!

• Like x 8
    • Agree x 1
  2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I just don't see Gency at all. Some degree of friendship perhaps but the dynamic there is going to be more Mercy: <feels responsible for this kid she saved> Genji: <crushes on her but doesn't push it>

• Like x 5
  3. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Yeah, I don't know that it's gonna be cannon. Like, even their chocolate interaction doesn't seem romantic or nothing, just. Kinda friendly. Not even all that intimately friendly, either. Colleagues friendly. Kinda awkward. If that's all there is then I dunno that a romantic relationship is in the works or if everybody's just jumping the gun a bit.

4. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Terezi/Vriska is my Homestuck OTP and I agree with everything you've said. I've shipped it like burning since Act 5 and I'm not about to stop anytime soon, but I sure as hell don't ship the post-retcon version. Pre-retcon!Terezi/(Vriska) is also fantastic, but otherwise leave me with my fraught, obsessive best-friendship-gone-terribly-and-ever-escalatingly-wrong, dammit, Hussie. >:/

• Like x 7
  5. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

i have a personal massive skeeve reaction to terezi/(vriska) because its like the entire fandom AND canon has collectively forgotten that terezi is 16 to (vriska)'s 13

dont get me wrong i dont have a problem w age gap shipping but i have a heavy dislike of works where a Problematic Age Gap is just conveniently glossed over for the sake of cutesy fluff

6. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

so I'm not a fan at all of Harry/Ginny for Harry Potter
    and I also really dislike John/Roxy for Homestuck
    but my probably most hated ship of all time ever is Tonks/Lupin from Harry Potter. there are....so many reasons why I hate it. so many.

• Like x 7
  7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I will absolutely laugh if the Gency voice lines don't ever make it into the game though. I'm expecting everyone to have lines of some kind, if they do some sort of shoutout to Valentine's (like they did with the New Year's resolutions) and it would be funny if Mercy has lines with, like, five people. Genji exchanges chocolates with her and Zenyatta.

But even funnier would be if nothing came of it at all, because datamined voice lines from the PTR very frequently end up never going anywhere, because datamining files for possible future patches =/= those files being actively put in the game. (See also: all the Sombra voice lines that haven't been put in game for one reason or another.)

I think the ship I hate the most out of Overwatch is Symmetra/Junkrat. Because a lot of the ways the shippers do fanworks pisses me off. ~Curing her autism~ by sticking her as the caretaker to a grimy little hobgoblin is not really endearing me to the treatment of Symm. ~Curing his ADD~ by giving him a domme who will step on him 'til he's magically clean doesn't really endear me to their treatment of Junko either.

I'm sure there's shippers who don't do that, it just.... really fucking doesn't do it for me. Really doesn't do it for me.

• Like x 5
  8. OnnaStik

Can we all just agree that Rowling fails at romance?

(I even hate James/Lily but you get fucking excommunicated from the fandom for that)

• Like x 7
  9. chaoticArbiter

yes. yes, we can.
    I don't like James/Lily, although I wouldn't say I hate it. but I do dislike it.
    I also kind of dislike Sirius/James, though. like....nah. bad influences.
    Snape/Lily: also terrible. and don't even get me started on Hermione/Ron....
    and then Luna got shunted off to marry a dude we didn't even meet in any of the books, who allegedly did not even appreciate her various magical hats and colorful outfits! >:c

• Like x 7
    • Agree x 1
  10. OnnaStik

Can I get started? Please can I get started?

• Like x 6
  11. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

eeeeeeugh.
    why would you do that when the "build it up and blow it down" spadesflirting option is right there, too?
    #shit #i think i ship this now #at least 50% out of desire to DO IT BETTER

• Like x 4
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I can't stand symmrat in any quadrant. Her spade belongs to Lucio and/or Sombra, goddammit. And Junkrat being with anyone but Roadhog doesn't really compute for me - those two I ship in every quadrant simultaneously.

• Like x 4
  13. chaoticArbiter

yes, you absolutely can. in fact, please do. I like hearing other people's gripes with ships I just don't like talking about mine a lot

• Like x 3
  14. OnnaStik

WHY in like ninety percent of Obligatory Heterosexual Romances is constant bickering considered a sign of Twoo Wuv? Why is sexual jealousy- to the point of hilarious physical assault- considered so damn romantic? Is it just because I'm a filthy aro that I don't think of people's inability to get along for five minutes as signaling their attraction?

• Like x 18
  15. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Tfw you love the X-Men but you don't want to read Xavier/Magneto. It's a desolate wasteland out there, my friends.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  16. chaoticArbiter

I mean, I also agree with this, and I'm not aro, so no, I don't think it's that... although I really don't know why people find constant bickering to be a sign of destined soulmates or whatever. like.....it's not like you're probably gonna do much in the relationship but argue, from the way it usually seems?? that doesn't sound like a good relationship, imo.

• Like x 8
    • Agree x 1
  17. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

In my life experience, the inability to behave like civilized beings towards each other can be a clear sign of attraction. When you're 12. Or it could be a sign that you can't stand each other. Because you're 12 and what is this.

I love a fraught relationship as much as the next problematic shipper, but maybe not so much with the hilarious physical assault factor?

• Like x 11
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I dont mind it but i dont really ship it either. I mostly stick to fic thats wildly ooc for those two because i can just pretend theyre other people who happen to have the same names and enjoy the rest of my faves. Its so hard to find anything thats not them nowadays though. also its almost always fluff???

Its the same situation with borderlands, everything is rhys/jack and i actually ship that cause I'm garbage but even then I'm like "okay but have you considered literally anything else"

• Like x 1
  19. chaoticArbiter

I feel like part of the issue with the X-Men thing might be that a LOT of the movies have been very focused on Xavier and Magneto and their whole deal
    so a lot of people end up thinking about them and shipping them a lot
    ....honestly, off the top of my head, I can't really think of any X-Men ships I have.

• Like x 4
  20. OnnaStik

Yeah, fraught relationships where they fight all the time have their place. And their place is not "Babies ever after! Hooray!"

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice