Shipping Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by furrylatula, Jan 12, 2017.

1. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

See, what I don't like about incest ships generally is... I'm looking for stories about a character dynamic because I liked what was already there. Or at least I want what should have been there. And if they're family members then what was already there probably excludes pantsfeelings, because Westermarck. So it feels Incorrect and also once again I can't get my wonderful character dynamics in any other way but doused in fucking romance make it go away.

(Not bothered by things like, say, Luke/Leia, because without the preexisting family relationship it doesn't seem to be contradicting anything.)

• Like x 2
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

• Like x 15
  3. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

FUCKING JESUS CHRIST THAT VIDEO MAKES ME LAUGH UNTIL I DRY HEAVE EVERT TIME

• Like x 6
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

NOOO CARRIE I MISS YOUUUUUU

That video is hilarious tho

• Like x 3
  5. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

…so clearly I'm not squicked by incest, because that Dumbledorecest post just made me go "man I'd like to read some Aberforth/Ariana now." Aha. Ha. also I ship Han/Leia/Luke so y'know

• Like x 4
  6. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

... It seems my incest squick kinda disappeared over the last few months. Weird.
    eta: For sibling incest, at least, still squicked out by parent/child and similar stuff.

• Like x 2
  7. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

/chinhands

• Like x 4
  8. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

What can I say, I love a good OT3. ^^;;

• Like x 3
  9. a small fis)(

a small fis)( 26 people in a trench coat

dualfef is used 4 smut tropes that Should be fefmaid. let fef have a sugar mommy you cowards, you tepid fools,

• Like x 15
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

While shipping at all in my fandom is not common, Bryony/Veil occasionally crops up; so far I've seen four fics about this pair, and exactly one which makes any mention at all of the fact that SHE'S EFFECTIVELY HIS MOTHER. Admittedly not the type of mother he needed, IMO, but still his mother. What, do adoptions not fucking count or something?! Ship incest, great, I like some incest fic too, just acknowledge that's what it is, okay?

• Like x 4
  11. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I came this close to bursting out laughing in the middle of work, this has to be my new favorite quote

• Like x 5
  12. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

ok i know mchanzo is a purely fanon ship, and thus my critique of symmetra/junkrat is hypocritical, but
    why does it exist
    even symmetra <3< junkrat wouldn't be feasible and symmetra <3< junkrat as a fluffy ship? naw

• Like x 1
  13. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Symmetra/Junkrat wouldn't work at all. I think they'd clash too badly even pitch.

• Like x 2
  14. Morgan Jae

their dynamic would be less "rivals who still respect each other and are also attracted to each other" and more "outright disgust"

......i'm a sucker for redemption arcs but, even though i usually love fluff, even i have to admit that there's no way reaper76 could be a healthy <3 relationship, barring a lot of backstory, HtF-style, and even that didn't end on a <3 note.
    <3< isn't entirely out of the picture, i suppose. honestly, there's a lot of fanon and pretty much no canon as to whether jack/gabriel even know the other exists.
    depends on whether you care particularly about canon or not, i suppose.

• Like x 1
  15. Morven

Outright disgust, definitely. Made even worse that each would not only be judging the other but would feel judged in return.

In general I don't like ships that feel like "pair the spares." Make us feel it goddamn it, not just "I guess they're both available if they lower their standards enough."

Re Reaper76: you mean know each other exists in the present day? bc obv they knew each other way before the shit hit the fan for Overwatch. They're certainly never shown as meeting in official story. What they believe, we don't really know.

• Like x 2
  16. Morgan Jae

yeyeyeye
    i mean, reaper and soldier 76 prrrrobably know about each other
    but i doubt jack and gabriel know about each other, if that makes sense
    pre-fall of overwatch jack/gabe is basically canon to me and no one will take that from me

• Like x 4
  17. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I love 76 and Reaper doing the padme/anakin, but without like, mpreg

Just the "used to have a loving relationship that fell apart because of circumstances", and Reaper feeling a lot of betrayal over whatever happened to make him a floating ghost zombie. So it's full of anger and resentment and bitterness

I like the idea of former lovers who become enemies I guess?? It's angsty. And dude if you put Ana in the middle I am just a happy bean. Fluffy reaper76 I can't understand at all.

Also: why ship symmetra/Junkrat when you can ship her with literally anyone else??? Like, Lúcio is right there. It'd even make sense!!

• Like x 3
  18. Morven

I don't get the notion that a ship can be knocked out by word of canon. I don't care if my favorites never do get in any kind of relationship in the official continuity. That seeking the creatorial stamp of approval thing just doesn't interest me.

and I'm seeing a bunch of that in the overwatch fandom of late.

• Like x 17
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

burn the overwatch fandom just set it on fire

Like I like creator approval. Like. A lot. There's something giddy about knowing that they ship it too. But I don't need it. I have my AUs and what not.

The ship isn't dead. It's just not canon. But we can keep it alive elsewhere. Like in 20000 cafe AUs.

• Like x 6
  20. Morgan Jae

...............tbh canon is overrated. give me grumpy reaper76 [insert noun here] AU where they snark at each other all day and then go home and take care of six kittens together. thats my goddamn jam.

edit: used reaper76 as an example but these are my feelings about most ships

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    • Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice