Shitposting Rave OOC: Anecdata Sharing and Policy Discussion

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by swirlingflight, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

And yes, leave it as freeform as we possibly can. I would rather encourage a culture of "speak up if you have a problem with something and we'll try to fix it" than one where we have a mass of rules.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Yes this.

3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Given my Irish myth thing and that possession might well come into play with characters I may end up playing I need to ask about this. If it was, say, my character who is consenting to being possessed by something such as a god would this ping the demon possession worry. Because for me I find the idea of mediums and people who are otherwise ridden by gods really super cool. Like what if I wanted to play, I dunno, Yoh from Shaman King prior to the whole Oversoul dealio?

4. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Agreeing that people need to be encouraged to speak up. Uncertain how to do so. Unwilling to give up rave magic, because all making it stricter will do is encourage arguments. Uncertain what to do if we ever run into someone who refuses to stop when politely requested to OOC.

• Like x 5
  5. blue

blue hightown funk you up

alas, no rule nor policy can prevent this from being a potential problem. i don't think there's anything we can do to forestall it, and our best recourse if it occurs will probably be mod action?

• Like x 3
  6. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I personally will be unlikely to be capable of remembering to figure out the exact spatial set up of the rave at any point in time, especially considering that the rave doesn't have a stable spatial set up. Reality is wonky in the rave in more ways than one, if you want a wall obstructing the view of your characters make the wall yourself, don't expect me to magically divine that you want one there?

As for rave magic: The entire point of it was to prevent rules-lawyering about whether or not a punch lands from slowing the fast and loose shitposting rave down.
    Neither shitposting, nor rave are words that would be associated with "rules". If we start making a scale of "how much of a dick can ur character be before I can Steven Uchiha your ass" that would get into the territory of false advertising. I know it may not be for everyone, but personally I see value in the shitposting rave only being as real and realistic as each person themselves decides they want it to be.

• Like x 3
  7. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I just need you to give me an out for not perceiving it, honestly. My brain can't wrap itself around a thing happening right in front of my character and them not being able to see it but if it happened behind a fade to black screen or in another area that's okay.

If it helps, the things I have had the most problems with have been things that have started like, when I was having an actual conversation with someone and then they started fucking with someone else.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    • Like x 2
  8. TwoBrokenMirrors

You have a good point. Agreed.

• Like x 2
  9. blue

question: would you be hypothetically okay with mind control occurring in the rave if spoilered and warned for? Asking for a friend as someone hypothetically interested in playing it (but willing to just Take It Elsewhere if spoilering isn't sufficient, i don't mean to push.)

• Like x 3
  10. TwoBrokenMirrors

Can and will do this if you ask me to, since I am pretty much incapable of guessing what you might be uncomfortable with if I'm thinking about something else.

• Like x 3
  11. cleverThylacine

Yeah, and I'm fine with that with you and almost everyone else who posts in this thread. I may not have any more problems now that the person who's been making me the most unhappy is gone, IDK, but... I can't remember where the brain bleach is, I guess. Like I said, you've never started beating up on someone in the middle of a group conversation I was participating in.

• Like x 1
  12. cleverThylacine

Consensual possession is consensual. I don't know about other people who hate mind control but personally what I hate about it is that it's nonconsensual.

• Like x 1
  13. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I'm not familiar with Shaman King, so I can't exactly answer that one, but my problem is mainly with things like people losing their choices with mind control - iirc, Narcissus explicitly mind-controlled a Cronus into changing his mind about dating him and about his stance in an argument, and that's what had me ignore the account. @Petra's reverse Mabel (unsure of account name) is not explicitly having her choices taken away onscreen, so I can deal, although I tend to avoid discussions with the character because I still find it uncomfortable knowing what I do. If the person was tricked into the deal with the entity in question or if the character breaks through and makes clear that they're not okay with the choices being made for them - for example, I think in Supernatural the angel character has to have consent to take a human body but I've heard it's shown later in the show that the person he possessed didn't know what he was agreeing to and resented it - it's more likely to bother me. If it's something like "I am reasonably well informed and am making this sacrifice of my life/independence of my own free will" i wouldn't consider that the kind of thing I'm talking about.

• Like x 2
  14. cleverThylacine

I'm fine with that with you. You also don't seem likely to manifest a child and attempt to eat it, presumably alive, in the middle of a conversation I'm having with you.

• Like x 1
  15. cleverThylacine

I know a lot of what I'm writing seems broad strokes but I'm going to probably need several days to calm down all the way. Because of things like people manifesting grubs in the middle of conversations I was participating in "for lunch" (we stopped that, granted). I mean yes in HS there is grubloaf and grubsteak and what all but eating an actual unprocessed grub in front of people weirdly enough never happened.

16. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

popping in really quick just to say, just in case:

if karkat (or anyone i play, really, but karkat is the one most prone to being verbally terrible) ever makes anyone uncomfortable, even if he's not interacting with one of your characters, i will stop whatever it is is making you uncomfortable, no worries. i'll also say that unless i say something, i wouldn't worry about me being upset if karkat is having a conniption--i play him as having severe and badly managed anxiety and depression with a healthy dose of PTSD, and that means he gets stressed out and upset at a lot of things that don't bother me in the slightest.

• Like x 5
  17. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Thank you both for clarifying about that. Was just kind of curious because like I've brought up the topic before in like religious discussions and people had some strong NO reactions to the concept as a whole. So I wanted to be sure as to what was pinging people with it.

As far as how possession works in Shaman King...It may or may not be like a consensual thing. One character, Ryu, is possessed when he's in a weak state of mind emotionally. And then the ghost proceeds to take total control over his body. However, there's also the reverse situation where Ren took total control over his ghost partner, maintaining absolute will over his body but not respecting the boundaries of his partner at all. Yoh meanwhile maintained consensual and more even possessions. He got the ok from the ghost and then would either switch back and forth between who is piloting the body or reach a state of like...drifting? Wherein Yoh and the ghost, Amidamaru, are entirely in sync in both thought and action and everyone is ok with shit. Were I to play anyone like that it'd be of the third sort I've described.

The Irish myth thing meanwhile is more...spontaneous? Like hey ho hello God A has decided to take brief control over your body for a bit. For me that's like a sort of...consenting working relationship though? Like you lay out contracts and specifics. An example being like if Irish Jame was a thing I felt like playing again more seriously suddenly divine inspiration and possession by Badb can occur leading to spontaneous poems. However that sort of thing is due to a prior agreement being made between the two. And honestly Badb has no fucking interest in possessing those she doesn't respect. So while it's less "Yes let's do this right now" than Yoh's situation to me it still falls into the realm of consenting relationship that isn't abusive. I can see why that might ping people though. Hence why asking about it before I do anything like that.

• Like x 2
  18. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I´m stepping out for a while, please don´t tag me. If you can avoid liking or quoting i´d appreciate that as well, but realize likes at least might still happen and quotes might be relevant.

19. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

With something like that, I'd appreciate advanced ooc notice so that I can just ignore the character. If I have an indication that they're not acting of their own free will, I'm likely to get into an anxiety spiral about "what if my character interacting with them is something that character would actually hate, am I contributing to the bad parts of this, etc." I don't expect the entire rave to go to my standards, though - I was speaking about my comfort levels, and I'm okay with using other tools to make myself more comfortable if the community conclusion is "this is okay".

• Like x 3
  20. blue

Okay, thank you for the clarification! I'm not likely to actually do it any time soon, but if I do I'll keep this in mind - I mean, conversely, even if the community consensus is "this is okay," I'd rather try to be helpful even if it's strictly optional, you know?

edit: that is a convoluted sentence but i'm not sure how to reword it :P

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    • Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice