Shitposting Rave OOC Content Controversy

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by cleverThylacine, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I'm also wondering, @seed (let me know if you don't want to be @-ed?) if a lot of your discomfort here comes not from what cT's characters were saying but your knowledge that cT is substantially older?

• Like x 1
  2. shmeed

shmeed plant me

I would really appreciate an argument island thread or pm or some kind of hashing it out
    In retrospext I totally understand why you're pisses and I should have private messaged you before going public. Honestly I thought enough individuals were involved that you wouldn't feel specifically targeted like this, because there were a lot of people involved. But, lookijg back, you were one of the only ones who were OOC, so that was putting a disproportionate amount of the weight on you. That was not thought out on my end and I apologize.

3. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Mara's funny and can be controlled with the threat of sutras. Mara doesn't upset me but @Ipuntya telling me my conversation is inappropriate for minors while letting Mara hit on the 14 year old's skeevy characters kind of does tbh.

• Like x 3
  4. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Much like the horrible, dangling truck nutz I was subjected to in Transformers 2, I can honestly see Mara as a PG-13 character, I just also think that their avatar is pretty much permanently crossing the "explicit discussion of genitals" line given that it's... an explicit picture of genitals? Comically rendered, yeah, but still pretty explicit.

(I'll probably be indicating which Wrench gifs use overt sexual gestures in the spoiler tags from now on, fwiw. None of them are genuinely nsfw, but I figure it's probably worth noting.)

• Like x 2
  5. cleverThylacine

You did directly reference my post and imply I was a terrible person for not immediately apologising and asking what I could do to make it better when I didn't even know if the discomfort was OOC or not and I resent the hell out of that.

6. shmeed

shmeed plant me

I didn't mean to imply you were a terrible person. I have the tact of a brick and should have made it clearer that I dont think you're a bad person. I saw a situation handled in a way I didn't like, and I saw a lot of people not bringing it up afterwards. Again, I should have private messaged you, and I'm sorry I didn't, and I'm sorry for the damage the thoughtlessness of my delivery has caused.

7. shmeed

shmeed plant me

No, idk how old CT is

• Like x 1
  8. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Imo, it was the depiction of Sentinel's suffering and the clear control the clown had over him where he was conflicted and didn't want to do some of what was done (iirc, I don't want to reread that section for obvious reasons) that pushed it to needs-spoilers and possibly 18+.

• Like x 1
  9. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Yeah, it was that time that had me put the clown on ignore because I couldn't deal.

10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Different aspect if the discussion. From my point of view, a dick is a dick is a dick, no matter how funny or non funny.
    ^

11. shmeed

shmeed plant me

About mara:

I feel like everything I say is being nitpicked for hypocrisy or moral failings etc, and yeah not super into getting into an argument with that as the basis

12. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

Dude, hey. You said earlier you were disengaging for health reasons. Is that a thing you need to do?

Honest concern here

• Like x 3
  13. shmeed

shmeed plant me

Yes probably good idea ty

• Like x 3
  14. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

According to the FSK criteria for ratings which I am going to translate and paraphrase below from here when evaluating this situation (in the context of if the violence deserves a high rating) we have to consider the following:
    • context
    • expectations of the genre and medium
    • narrative logic
    • what is the background mood of the piece
    • quantity
    • quality
    • relevance
    • intensity
    • are consequences of the violence depicted
    • tension
    • who is being violent
    • who is the victim of violence (Note that for the purposes of both this and the point above, fantastical beings, animals and robots, when treated by the narrative as people count as the same as humans)
    • which characters are children and adolescents likely to identify with
    • How does the piece itself evaluate and comment on the violence
    • formal/aesthetic influences on the framing
    What the clown did was disproportionate, unprovoked and completely out of left field for the tone and mood of the rave. There were little to no consequences. The narrative focused on the suffering of his victim, depicting this in graphic details. The entire scene was consistently way more grim and dark and hopeless than the rave generally is and there was absolutely no narrative lead up for it. All of this would be by far enough to rate as "gratuitous physical and emotional torture, FSK 18"

(edited for spelling and translation nuances)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    • Like x 2
  15. cleverThylacine

Absolutely a different aspect, no argument there!

• Like x 1
  16. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

That is my question though: what is "too graphic"? I genuinely don't know where the line is besides actual literal sex and innards-becoming-outards, both of which are already being respectively faded-to-black and spoilered. Like, even rereading the cat dick conversation, the worst I see outside of spoilers is... one whole mention of blowjobs, which started the whole thing and doesn't look like anything I wouldn't hear in a high school cafeteria:
    and a punning post poking fun at TF fandom terminology:
    (I did consider spoiling Venture's post, because it does involve references to actual sex. And decided not to because it was meant to be a one-off post before I went to work, it wasn't actually directed at any specific character, and it's 95% meme by volume. If it actually bothers anyone I can go and edit a spoiler in.)
    Neither of those read as "too graphic," and hell, I'd consider some of the stuff that was spoilered as perfectly normal and not requiring a spoiler. So... what definition of graphic are we using, and where is the line between "okay graphic" and "too much graphic"?

The only other thing I might read as "not okay" (Wiretap being petty about boundaries and the lack thereof at Kankri) was only tangentially related to the dick conversation, and that's not so much "graphic description" as "character flaw".

17. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Is that how they decided to put a 6+ rating on Grave of the Fireflies and 12+ on the second Harry Potter movie?

18. cleverThylacine

OK, well apology accepted, but I'm not sure PMing would have been better unless the tone was different too, you know? So we're okay, bc I don't actually take well to shaming PMs :)

I just... ugh. I'm an adult but I'm still allowed to have feelings and be unsure about stuff, and if a teenager has been playing characters that are sexually aggressive and suddenly my anatomical discussion is not OK, I'm allowed to ask, since your boundaries are clearly broader than some other people your age, where are they and how do I not cross them?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  19. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Grave of the Fireflies is pretty upsetting, but Chamber of Secrets still has significantly more gore in it.

• Like x 2
  20. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

yeah likely.
    I think the thing that pushed HP up in rating was likely the GIANT SNAKE IN A DUNGEON that was depicted as a genuine disturbing thread, the spiders, and that Harry was p fucking close to dying. I don't actually know Grave of the Fireflies so idk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice