Shoes and Where to Wear Them

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Deresto, May 8, 2017.

?

How do you feel about shoes?

1. Eh, i don't really care either way about them.

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. I hate them!!! I wish i could go shoeless everywhere.

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Theyre alright i guess, they get the job done. I mostly only wear comfortable/practical shoes.

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  4. I love shoes, theyre really fun to accessorise with! Theres some really nice stuff out there

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. I love shoes, they make getting places more efficient and easier than shoeless!

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. I only wear crocs and/or socks with sandals, suck it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (elaborate in thread!)

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

.....to be totally honest, the only seamless socks I ever wore were socks from the hospital. and they were hell.

• Agree x 2
  2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I used to be the Shoeless Kid, but long bouts of depression in young adulthood meant I grew out of my calluses :( I enjoy shoes more than I used to, though? I wear ballet-flats type shoes ninety percent of the time because laces take hand spoons. I tend to kick off shoes when I feel comfortable and the environment is sufficiently informal, and the area's reasonably clean.

as for socks... I also hate seams, and the texture machined cotton gets after washing a lot. discovering hand-knit socks (esp with short-row toes, which makes zero seam) was a joyous epiphany.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  3. chaoticArbiter

I don't unlace shoes. I just bend down the back of the shoe, put my foot in, then grab the back of the shoe from under my foot and yank it out and upright.
    my shoes get worn out quickly if they are not very well built.

• Agree x 3
  4. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I keep forgetting that shoes tend to have laces because my cowboy boots have been kicking around for about six years now and I never looked back.

• Like x 2
  5. chaoticArbiter

you know what I love the aesthetic of but hate wearing?
    combat boots. like, genuine army combat boots.

• Agree x 4
  6. Birdy

Birdy so long

I don't enjoy shoes and I go barefoot when I can, but they don't drive me nuts like they do some people. It's socks I really don't care for. If I'm not wearing shoes then I'm not wearing socks. I don't care about how cold it is, Mom.

It also is so much easier to just wear the same thing every day? It barely even occurs to me that I have multiple pairs of shoes, I'll wear the same pair for months.

I also didn't learn to tie my damn shoes until I was 13, and I'm still pretty terrible at it

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I love fancy, ridiculously tall stilettos for dressing up and dancing. I like my track shoes because I can walk basically forever in them and they're pretty colors. I like bare feet because they are the most comfortable, but I can walk only a very limited distance outside without shoes before it starts hurting.

I like the idea of socks more than I actually like wearing them, so I have a million fancy pairs I barely wear.

8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I like high heeled shoes because tow walker lyfe. Inside i am always barefoot. I like pretty shoes for the prettyness, like if I´m gonna wear shoes I´ll have nice ones.

• Like x 1
  9. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

oh god. I bought my own bowling shoes the very second I decided to take up bowling, before I even got my own ball, because rental shoes are FUCKING AWFUL. I love my very own bowling shoes. Appearance and comfortwise they're just like black leathery casual sneaker things. I put day-glo yellow laces on them for blacklight bowl reasons. They're great.

Other than the bowling shoes I have (in order of preference):
    • one (1) pair brown leather high top steel toe work shoes
    • one (1) pair athletic shoes
    • one (1) pair dress loafers
    • one (1) pair casual-dressy sneakery black Skechers
    • one (1) pair actual compliments-of-uncle-sam combat boots which I have kept for 20+ years because they are handy for Ghostbusters and other cosplay reasons
    • one (1) pair sandals, pretty much only worn to the beach or for taking trash to the dumpster when I can't be arsed to put proper shoes on
    I generally have to get my guy shoes out of the boys' department because tiny feet which is kinda embarrassing but that's okay because they're cheaper.

• Like x 2
  10. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Socks! :D :D :D

I have so many! And they come in pretty colours and designs! And they make me feel happy! Socks are AWESOME! :D

Shoes I feel very meh about because I have such a hard time finding comfortable ones that I can afford :(

• Like x 1
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Socks make my feet slippy and feel weird if accidentally worn in bed. When i was a kid socks would keep slipping off my feet and make these unpleasant flappy areas on the toes.

• Witnessed x 1
  12. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Hospital footwear is the worst and the nurses were always telling me sternly to "put my footies on!" NO I HATE THEM

• Agree x 2
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I actually really like hospital socks? Maybe we're thinking of different things. I like them because of the plasticky grips on the outside for less slippage and the way they were basically a big tube instead of shaped.

I remembered a bit ago that my stepdad used to do blinds and shades installation and he had to wear what was basically shower caps over his shoes in some houses and said it was pretty common in fields like that.

Im curious, how do people feel about skates? Do they count as shoes to you? I cant really skate because dyspraxia means its near impossible to even stand in them, so theyre just wheeled nightmare shoes to me. I'll never even go near wearing the ice version.

• Agree x 1
  14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I kinda wanna learn to skate. I like that basically all I´d need for it is the shoes and I can do it alone.

• Like x 1
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I like rollerblading although I'm bad at it. Illinois is a pretty good region for it, everything is flat.

• Agree x 1
  16. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Roller blades are awesome, roller skates are annoyingly balanced and hellish to move on. I used to roller blade everywhere when I was younger.

• Agree x 1
  17. shmeed

shmeed plant me

i would like to be barefoot if not for the raynauds but as it stands being barefoot makes my feet go white and numb so i usually wear socks

im very particular about socks though they have to be short cut or ankle length and snug but not too tight. they have to be cottony and they have to be clean. if they are not both they will get sweaty and cold and that is Literally The Worst. the white and grey socks tend to be the best. long socks and thick socks are bad because they tend to be sweaty and it's horrid.

im ambivalent about shoes, although i usually sit with my feet up so i tend to take them off inside for to not break social rules about shoes on furniture

when you wear socks all day and then take them off at night to sleep and your sheets are really soft that is literally one of the best feelings in the world. especially if your feet are hot and the sheets are cool. i can spend like 15 minutes just rolling my feet around in the sheets because soft. soft. so soft soft.

• Agree x 2
  18. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

the last time i tried roller blading i dissociated and got a migraine, which was distressing because all of the times before that I enjoyed it a lot. @Birdy was there. the one time i tried ice skating was Bad because they're knives? on your feet? No Thanks. roller blades remind me of ski boots a lot, and i've been skiing for basically my whole life, so i'm used to the weird feel.

19. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

'Wheeled nightmare shoes' describes skates and rollerblades quite accurately from my point of view. I'd love to be able to skate, but... dyspraxia hell.

• Agree x 1
  20. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I'm canadian, i had to go on field trips to the skating rink/hockey arena as a kid but i never learned how? So i just either sat out or... idk i was probably considered too old for those chairs they let little kids hold onto for balance so i dont remember. My dad also doesnt skate despite growing up in montreal

I tried skiing once for a school trip and the boots made my shins hurt and i hated it???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice