So Homestuck ended and now I'm angry.

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by ChelG, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

FUNNY YOU SHOULD BRING UP LOST since Homestuck suffers from the same kind of plot bloat and inability to wrap things up into a coherent ending. :')

Honest opinion: if you have fond memories of the comic pre-Act 6, it isn't worth catching up. It's much too long, clocking in at longer than the entire rest of the comic combined while accomplishing very little narratively. It brings up a lot of new plot threads and doesn't resolve most of those, much less ones brought up earlier. Everything after Game Over reads as a halfassed attempt at getting out of the corner he painted himself into and has 500% too much Vriska, who escapes all consequences for her bullshit and magically fixes the personal problems of everyone else on the meteor, while also apparently sucking all personality out of them because they're bland cardboard cutouts from then on.

• Like x 7
  2. coldstars

coldstars get Jazzy on it

The Act 7 animation really is gorgeous and worth watching, even if Hussie didn't do the work needed to actually justify skipping ahead to that point. From what I can tell, he's either pulling a long con and deliberately keeping things unsatisfying on purpose...or he legitimately just wanted it to be finished so he could reach the ending he'd originally envisioned. (The issue being that the ending he originally envisioned, while gorgeous, no longer fits right for the massive, complex story he built up along the way)

So I say read, if only to say that you've finished it, or at least watch Act 7 for the pretty

• Like x 2
  3. coldstars

Still salty about this. So, so salty

Everyone: I'm so happy that the characters are happy! Let them rest and be happy and be free from the narrative!
    Me: Those aren't even the same fucking characters. The characters we loved got retconned and are spinning into oblivion as we speak. These are just the paper thin new characterizations Vriska pasted on top of their bodies

• Like x 6
  4. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Everyone was just so passive. I honestly thought there'd be a twist where Vriska learned to be subtle and for three years was messing with everyone's heads so that they'd all be too tired and worn to argue with her. Nope, that's just how they are now? Boo.

• Like x 8
  5. coldstars

There's a story there. About Vriska twisting them all and clutching them close. She hits Terezi the hardest because Terezi is the one she knows inside and out, with the bonus of Terezi being retroactively riddled with guilt in another timeline that makes her ripe for controlling. When Vriska goes to face down Lord English, she goes with her claws still stuck in Terezi's mind

And so Terezi never stops looking. She can't. She wanders in a daze, unable to comprehend the screams for help from her retconned friends as they slowly lose their grip all around her. All Vriska cares about, after all, is finding Vriska

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    • Like x 10
  6. Mercury

@coldstars I think you may have rekindled my inspiration for Homestuck fic. Here I was still trying to do fluff when what I really needed to look to was existential horror.

• Like x 7
  7. rje

rje here comes the sun

Ty for the input guys <3
    I think I'll just reread to the end of -- what was that part that felt like a sort-of ending? End of 6? And watch the cutscenes for funsies sometime...

(Also could someone tell me (if it's not too much trouble) in a spoiler what happened with Dirk eventually? He and Equius (and to a lesser point Roxy & Aradia) were the only ones whose fate I really was invested in)

8. coldstars

Existential horror is the best. :smithhappy: I would read the hell out of something that explored how deeply Vriska must have fucked with everyone's minds to get Terezi to the point of floating around a reality-destroying black hole for years, oblivious to all the other people she could be helping

• Like x 6
  9. Petra

Petra space case

We dunno she was there for years, though.

10. Mercury

We see her snapchatting to John on his 18th birthday, and then nothing after that - I think it's an even safer assumption to make than all the ships people are assuming are canon because people stood next to one another in more than one shot.

• Like x 3
  11. Petra

Petra space case

So basically not a safe assumption? Especially since apparently this isn't the end - it's the ending credits, but the epilogue is still coming. We can't even be sure the 'her' Terezi is searching for is Vriska, even if it's heavily implied, as aradia was also living out there in the end.

12. Mercury

STILL CLOSE ENOUGH FOR FANFIC *scampers off to do the thing*

*or rather think hard about doing the thing because it's almost bedtime but y'know*

• Like x 3
  13. Mercury

But seriously if Terezi does turn out to be looking for Aradia I'll be really happy.

• Like x 6
  14. Mercury

Ah yikes you never got an answer!

He makes it through! All the human kids do. He has a conversation with Dave that's pretty good, for all it's 11th hour wedged-in characterization.

• Like x 4
  15. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I see no one's answering you, so I'll say that my personal "ending" point is the act 6 montage with the new Lands. That was the last time Homestuck really wowed me so that's where I stop.

• Like x 1
  16. Mercury

• Like x 9
  17. Zuki

Zuki Well-Known Member

Woah, that's fucking cool! Thank you for linking it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice