So, your resume sucks... how do you fix it?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Hobo, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Basically the title. Wanted to make a thread for those of us who are looking to get their resume up to scratch for the job hunt, everyone's welcome to post/commiserate/cry because job hunting fucking sucks.

Anyway, my issue. My resume blows, and I can't really work out what's wrong with it. Or more accurately, I know exactly what's wrong with it but can't work out any other way to do it because I've never had a job in my field (which is what I'm looking for). That, and the jobs I have had make me look unreliable as hell because, with one exception which hardly counts, they've all lasted for less than a year. Some my fault, others were sort of out of my control. Does anyone have any advice? I know the skills section is basically really undesired because anyone can say they're a pro at communication (also that's a huge lie because I'm not), but I've got no actual achievements to list because, again, no job in my field. Ugh.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Assuming you're looking for more lab work, I'd beef up lab skills section if you can.

Add a little more detail in your education section--some of the classes taken might be helpful.

3. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Ask a manager has a lot of stuff on resumes :-D Alison is really nice, and she gives sound advice.
    Askamanager.org

4. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

This is more end-stage stuff, but once you've got the content fixed up, try to fit it onto one page if you can. A lot of employers skim resumes on the first look so they won't see anything that's written on the back/second page. Also, you wrote "referees" instead of "references," because typos happen--but fixing that up is an easy improvement too.

I've gotten a lot of resume advice in my time, but I've never had full-time employment, only summer jobs and internships, so none of what I know is field-tested to the degree I'd like it to be.

5. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Referee is used in the sense of 'one who provides a reference', it's pretty common usage here (Australia). But noted! I knew the one page resume was a thing, but I kept on telling myself 'oh it's only like a 1/3rd of a page, nbd'. I might be better off just doing the 'references available on request' thing to save some space.

Hahaha yeah, I used to read that site religiously. Alison is pretty great. I find it really hard to put her resume advice into action though, so much of it seems to be reliant on 1. Having had a job in your field that relates to the job you're going for, and 2. Quantifying things you've improved on while in X or Y job. Like... my assistant project management position was basically just data entry, and I designed a filing system that would make it so that files would basically automatically be sorted into their correct folders so people wouldn't be spending hours on end moving things around. I could quantify that sort of thing, but how do you quantify the stuff you do working in an OP shop or other positions like that? It's hard :( It's also hard when I have no idea whether my system was kept in place, since my supervisor (who was very impressed with it) was laid off before I finished my work experience there. Still mad at that company for offering me a job and then being like 'oh nah sorry we've got no money, lol'. Assholes getting my hopes up.

Thanks rigs! Do you think a short description of what the class entailed would be appropriate, or would the name of the class be enough? I'd assume the former, but space may become an issue.

6. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

It probably depends on how descriptive the name is. Your goal is to say, "I know stuff!"

• Like x 1
  7. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

I didn't know that about "referee"--now I feel silly.

Some people I've talked to (professors, if I remember right) have said that it's starting to be common practice to just have "References available on request" instead of the references themselves, but, again, I don't have a lot of practical jobhunting tests to verify this through so--does anyone else know whether this is actually true?

8. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

In my experience (Software Engineer in the US) references are usually provided as a separate thing, not mentioned in the resume itself, although often provided at the same time in a separate document or part of the cover letter.

9. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Or in fact provided when a company gives an offer, which is generally contingent on reference checks. References are increasingly worthless anyway; too many US companies have adopted a policy of not saying any more than "Yes, this person worked for us between these dates" for fear of lawsuits.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice