Songs you associate with fictional characters

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by autopsyblue, May 2, 2015.

1. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Lyricstuck
    God damn it I have so many of those in my head for angelverse (well. like, maybe three, but y'know that's still quite a lot) but I will never get them on paper because I fall into the joint trap of being shit at art and not having enough executive function/self-confidence to be able to push through the being shit at art thing without getting either tired or heartily discouraged.
    I did a panel of one though, once. For the angelverse Sburb AU which is why it's an abysmal representation of the incipisphere (sp? been too long). Song being actually an MLP fansong thing called Gypsy Bard that just happens to match quite well to the Sburb au iteration of one of our villains.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 3
  2. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

My friend constantly sends me songs for characters and character pairings in Homestuck and they're always brilliant. I'm trying to remember some of them.

Pre-retcon Terezi and Vriska - Haunted by Maya Kern
    Dualscar/Her Imperious Condescension - Came So Far For the Beauty by Leonard Cohen
    Gamzee <3< Dave - Two Against One by Danger Mouse
    Dave <3< Gamzee - Talk Show Host By Radiohead

3. Frick I gotta catch up.

This Close-Flyleaf reminded me of Jake English all of a sudden??

4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

This is a Vriska song if ever there was one.

• Like x 1
  5. siveambrai

siveambrai Negative Karma Engine nerd.professor.gamer

I've submitted this elsewhere but I am convinced that Frank Turner is actually an Ampora (possibly every Ampora).
    But this song in particular is very Eridan.

• Like x 2
  6. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I have an 8tracks with some fsts for OTPS.

7. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I'm another one who mostly has songs that match up with OCs.
    I've got a bunch of song lists floating around in my email somewhere

8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Also, since I'm a huge TMBG sperg, I find it really easy to apply their songs to things. The End Of The Tour and Canajoharie are both SolAra, Circular Karate Chop is Damara (specifically her breakdown), Destroy The Past is the Handmaid, You Don't Like Me is Aranea, Underwater Woman is the Condesce, and so on. A lot of their songs fit Aradia well--they've got the whole "cheery and upbeat but also dark and morbid" vibe down pat.

There's also one lyric from Road Movie To Berlin that reminds me of the post-Scratch trolls in general: "We were once so close to heaven; Peter came out and gave us medals, declaring us the nicest of the damned."

And, of course, the aforementioned Good To Be Alive for Aradia and Erase for RetJohn.

I just love TMBG a lot.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  9. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

*necros thread*

i'm not entirely sure how much i associate this song with the character, per se, as opposed to... i dunno, everyone else's relationships with the character and their relationships with everyone else and just the show in general, but...

rose quartz (from steven universe) + photograph by ed sheeran

considering making an amv of it, but er yeah, what-if-youtube-deletes-it-and-then-my-account-too anxiety, you know...

• Like x 2
  10. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Okay, so I recently read Rose Madder, on rec from someone here (and I don't remember who, fuck,) and then soon after listened to this album. and it might have just been the general book finishing high, but quite a bit of it felt fitting (if totally out of order.)
    (and then of course, there's which is completely linked in my head to everyman hybrid's HABIT and also Red from Kagerou. Because both are terrible murderous bastards. [and shouldn't be allowed to have kids, fortunately I think only one of them did, depending on how you interpret some canon sidestory stuff] Culling of the Fold is another HABIT one. I think it's a sign of most of my music leaning towards murderous that I can only think of songs for the serial killing ghost off the top of my head, and everyone else is gonna take a bit. but I will come up with something!)

• Like x 2
  11. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

the first time i heard "cold war" by janelle monae i was like this is it. this is the ultimate elephaba song from wicked. i mean for christ's sake, there's a part where she yells the name KALINDOOO who is apparently her lead guitarist but it sounds EXACTLY LIKE GALINDA it's uncanny and i love janelle and i love this song and i love wicked, bye

12. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Star from Metanoia:

Scourge Sisters:

13. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

ooooh also this song is super aradia to me :oo

14. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

i just remembered one of my longest-standing song associations

The Doctor/The Master, from the Master's perspective

i should think of more ...

15. blue

blue hightown funk you up

@Kaylotta my fave doctor/master song is:

but I'm biased bc I just love dessa so much

• Like x 1
  16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

RESURRECTING to say that "Magpie" by the Mountain Goats gives me feelings about Anders

I don't WANT to have feelings about Anders, aaaaand yet.

17. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Radioactive by Imagine Dragons is the soundtrack to worlds falling to darkness in Kingdom Hearts in my mind.

god. most my song associations are super obscure fandoms...

two birds is definitely my saix/axel/roxas/xion song (obsesses over kh in the distance)

• Like x 2
  18. *approves of resurrection*

I should put more songs up, I'm slacking.

19. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Having gotten super into SU since making this post, I can now say that I have a far more fitting association for this song. It is now my Lapis Lazuli jam forever.

Also, someone made a really great AMV about Pearl using Cry For Judas by The Mountain Goats (link goes to the AMV because it's SO GOOD), and so now that's my Pearl jam. (But not Pearl Jam. </bad jokes>) End Of The Rope by TMBG has some Pearl-ish moments too ("How thoughtless of me, how dumb can you be? Hopeless, wasn't that what you called me, and in fact, it was even more true than you knew"; "You're gone, but I'm still there, clawing at the air"; "Long ago, you left me hanging on your words...") but my general interp for that song (that it's about suicide) doesn't fit quite as well. It'll still probably end up on my inevitable Pearl FST.

...Also, now that I think of it, Trout Heart Replica by Amanda Palmer kinda fits Rose Quartz? Since a lot of it seems to be about caring too much but there's also this undercurrent of having done Fucked Up Things ("Killing things is not so hard--it's hurting that's the hardest part, and when the wizard gets to me, I'm asking for a smaller heart"). And the ending could be interpreted as being about Steven's birth and her death and the impact it had ("Now my heart is exactly the size of a six-sided die cut in half, made of ruby-red stained glass; can I knock you unconscious so long as I promise I love you and I'll make you laugh?")

20. Hera counts as a fictional character right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice