Songs you associate with fictional characters

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by autopsyblue, May 2, 2015.

1. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I feel a bit goofy mentioning this since Warcraft characters are intensely shallow and undeveloped, but... I've always seen this as a perfect fit for Nozdormu/Murozond.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    • Like x 1
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

as a result of the three haven't you noticed (i'm a star) fanvids (mabel, stan, bill cipher) posted in the gravity falls thread, i now have the urge to make a fanvid of that song for norm the genie, from fairly oddparents. 'cause, well, fairy idol, for one. and secondly, 'cause i find it really interesting how the meaning and tone of haven't you noticed (i'm a star) changes with the character that's the focus and the scenes that are chosen. like, with some characters, it sounds really confident and "i rock!" and whatnot, whereas with others, it emphasizes their insecurities and how overlooked they have been and/or felt. and with some, the ominousness of the line "now everyone can see me burning" is prominent, whereas with others, it is not much of a thing. and there's the trans!steven headcanon that someone on tumblr connected it to. lots of meanings, lots of different tones, basically...
    i'm just really fascinated with this song and its ambiguity, how it can change its meaning the way it does. 'cause, i can't think of that many songs off the top of my head that do that, which is probably a reflection of my musical taste (pop music, music from animated things and musicals, some oldies).
    just yeah... that song. i love how it is possible to read so much into it, and change the interpretation of it with the scenes it gets set too.
    (and now i'm wondering whether making an about 51 second fanvid is extra easy or extra hard. 'cause it seems like it would be one of those.)

• Like x 4
  3. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I love this song so much and have yet to get to DA2 so in the meantime this is my Kid Loki song. For spoilery reasons, slightly, but ugh it's so good.

4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Oh man, my friend and I play the "who is this song" game for everything. And I'm always trying to fit songs to characters, it's my music-listening resting state. I have a seriously embarrassing amount of unpublished Kingdom Hearts playlists >_>

Since my current fandom is Undertale, here's a very Sans song:

• Like x 3
  5. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

Hello yes someone asked for Homestuck Trash songs?

Involuntary Helmsman Sollux to Handmaid Aradia:

Equius building Aradiabot

Random Pandora popup I hadn't heard in literal years that kicked me in the John Feels so hard I immediately pinged my moirail and made her listen and cry with me:

Scourge Sisters Battle Anthem

I can and will go on for days. I have SO MANY CHARACTERIZATION SONGS. SO MANY.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    • Like x 2
  6. unknownanonymous

and another thing that reminds me of haven't you noticed (i'm a star): the whole pilot episode of supergirl

7. unknownanonymous

jar jar binks - haven't you noticed (i'm a star [wars])

• Like x 2
  8. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Blind Guardian - Bright Eyes
    Which is mostly a Flowey song, with elements of Asriel and Chara

Fool just another
    Fool just another

I've been waiting
    For signs of god
    Create - enslave - behaved -
    Everything is out of control

Leave me alone
    Isolation bears hope
    There's something else waiting
    A promised destiny
    Freezing me
    I feel restless and low
    These days full of sadness
    Had joyfully changed
    Into fear
    My freakshow will start tonight
    Don't miss the right time

Bright eyes
    Blinded by fear of life
    No Merlin is by my side

In my future plans
    No one's left to hurt
    Sorrow's gone away

Broken memories
    Walking upstairs
    Step by step
    I see the whole world burning
    The poet dies in Newerland
    How it burns

Hey, mother stubborn
    I really hate you
    If you say yes I will say no
    Ashes to ashes
    But dust won't be dust
    If you go there
    I will go back

Bright eyes
    Blinded by fear of life
    Betrayed by sunrise
    Bright eyes
    Blinded by fear of life
    No Merlin is by my side

Hey, father stubborn
    You're ying
    And I'm yang
    I feel alone
    Who really cares
    Born into ashes
    To lose all the games
    With a smiling face

Bright eyes
    Blinded by fear of life
    And dark dragons rise
    Bright eyes
    Blinded by fear of life
    No Merlin is by my side

So I sit still in my room, today
    Winter's here
    In summer season
    Shall I say
    I was wrong
    If I'm right
    Farewell to my last hope

(lyrics from http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/blindguardian/imaginationsfromtheotherside.html#7)

9. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

i too have a problem with associating songs with ocs, it's what actually got me into fanmixing. all of my d&d characters have their own mixes but my favorite is amarwen's mix, & her accidental theme song The Phoenix by Fall Out Boy which only makes sense if you know her story but i promise you it's perfect

i'm gonna change you like a remix, then i'll raise you like a phoenix. put on your war paint.

also one of my friends pointed out to me years ago that Little Lion Man is a perfect snarry song & now i can't unhear it and it hurts so much

• Like x 1
  10. *necros own thread*

I FOUND THE PERFECT SONG FOR ULRICH FROM CODE LYOKO.

11. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Definition Of Good by TMBG is very much a Jam Buds (Steven/Connie) song for me, with more of a focus on Steven (possibly him as the narrator--hell, possibly him singing it to Connie when she's down or something).

It's a very cute and innocent song about simple happy things in life (some of which are kind of silly and really seem like the kind of thing Steven might dream up--"clams secretly smiling at clam jokes," "two flamingos engaging in a fruit fight," "unbelievably real shadow puppets..."), and it really seems very Steven-y, but the last few lines are shippy enough ("Laughing at the same thing, looking into your eyes, knowing everything that the other is thinking") that it works well as a Jam Buds song in general.

(Seriously, give it a listen, it's SUPER cute.)

• Like x 3
  12. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Also, since I'm too lazy to edit my previous post, I'll Be Haunting You (also by TMBG, because of course it is) kind of fits Rose Quartz, IMO? It's kind of a general ghost-type song, I guess, but the whole space theme and the general "I will still be here, even if you don't know it" thing seems kind of like a final missive from Rose before dying giving birth to Steven. An ominous one, for sure...but a lot about Rose is kind of ominous in a way.

Specifically, it seems like her talking to Pearl (aside from the line about "the oath you swore in 1993," which, given what we can infer about the show's timeline, could easily be either the year Rose and Greg met or the year they got married--and even then, the whole "oath" concept seems very Pearl-ish). It really does read, to me, as being told from the point of view of a dying person talking to someone who was--is--very devoted to them.

(It could also be a SolAra song, because of course it could.)

• Like x 3
  13. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

John Crichton of Farscape, especially after meeting Scorpius.

• Like x 1
  14. sicklyprince

sicklyprince giant androgynous glam monster

i was going to post a royal fuckton of songs that remind me of eridan ampora, but i'm limiting myself to just this one.

• Like x 2
  15. unknownanonymous

'cause my internet searching has disappointed me so far, i'm gonna mention leonard church (from red vs blue) + this line:

I imagine death so much it feels more like a memory
    When’s it gonna get me?
    In my sleep? Seven feet ahead of me?
    If I see it comin’, do I run or do I let it be?
    Is it like a beat without a melody?

from the hamilton song, my shot. the rest of the song - and most of the hamilton songs, honestly - is probably too specific to the musical to also fit (i haven't yet found a fanvid with hamilton music that i liked, in any fandom), but yeah... i'm surprised i haven't seen a pretty gifset of leonard church with some of what i just quoted on it. though that could just be 'cause i really need to refine my search terms.

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh boy, I used to select my favourite songs based on whether they'd fit into the worlds of my favourite books. I got hooked on British folk music thanks to Brian Jacques.

Now? Decemberists' "Don't Carry It All" is totally Asriel and Chara's theme.

17. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

Victorious by Panic! At the Disco for Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff

18. Willowanderer

Willowanderer Does her best

The Lead singer of Owl City's voice always reminded me of John, and Galaxies
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    has always given me good solid Homestuck imagery, esspecaily the kids.

19. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

Facepeeler by Taproot reminds me of Dark from Kagerou
    Warning: song contains SCREEEEEAAAAAAMS

20. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

This song is breathtakingly perfect for the jagermonsters, in the wrongest way possible. I love it.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice