sorry i don't make the rules: ridiculous/lighthearted headcanons

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by furrylatula, Jul 17, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

If human skin turns darker in the sun, does troll skin turn paler under the moon? Might explain why the adult trolls are darker-coloured, in space there's no direct moonlight.

• Winner x 2
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Except that the darker skin that was depicted on the adult trolls was about 90% on Alternia. Also the dark pigmentation in humans is a response of melanin to UV radiation. Moons are big rocks, they don't usually produce their own energy*. Why would exposure to the moon turn things paler?

*we're going to leave aside the rocks whose component elements break down into ionizing radiation here.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  3. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

The moon reflects UV radiation... but it reflects less UV radiation than direct sunlight. 'Direct moonlight' is just indirect sunlight, unless the moon in question has Very Interesting Properties, it's not going to be different.

Turning paler under the moon could be a reaction to less light. But that doesn't explain why the adults aren't even paler.
    Most places in space are exposed to 'direct sunlight' - for instance, if you're off in space, floating around the earth, the sun doesn't shine on you any less... this is, however, diluted by distance, and more importantly, the hull of your ship, so you'll mostly be in artificial light.

However, it's possible trolls don't use melanin? Perhaps their skin pigment reflects light more than absorbs it, and the lighter color is that. Perhaps they're more worried (biologically speaking) about a different spectra of light?

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Well, at least one of Alternia's moons does have interesting properties, but I was thinking more along the lines of "they're not exposed as closely to sunlight of any sort while in spaceships" combined with some kind of different skin pigment. If they could survive sunlight maybe they'd bleach white in it.

• Informative x 1
  5. Lizardlicks

Yeah lighter pigmentation makes sense for a multitude of reasons: the mutation for less melanin allows for more vitamin D production in more extreme latitudes that experience short winter days. Lighter pigment reflects more light and keeps you cooler in hot climates. But we're dealing with what is clearly a neoteny trait since it seems to be universally that young trolls have pale pigment and adults have dark pigment, regardless of where they are on or off the planet. So the question becomes why? Camouflage? Signalling sexual maturity?

(This is of course is assuming we're taking the Watsonian interpretation to be that the darker color is literal, and not the Doylist one of "this is just what Hussie did to simplify the art and give a convenient visual short hand," which of course we are because speculative biology is more fun)

• Agree x 1
  6. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Could just be that the pigment builds up slowly over time. Wigglers are pretty much just white, right?

• Informative x 1
  7. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I thought the bodies were the same as their blood color and the faces were gray?

• Agree x 2
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yeah, their faces are grey but it's implied their body skin is see-through - Equius mentions "trans100cent green wigglers".

• Informative x 2
  9. Lizardlicks

Now this begs the question: are their carapaces pigmented the same color as their blood or is it that they're lacking pigmentation entirely except the face and you're actually seeing the blood vessels under the surface?

• Agree x 3
  10. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

steamworld HC: dorothy did meet up again with fen between dig 2 and heist - they had a lot of time for that - but they got separated again relatively recently.

they'll probably meet up again and there will be shenanigans. fen is down for mayhem and the dig duo are good at rolling with the punches and getting into various strange situations.

11. Acey

I had assumed the former, but I’d forgotten the line @ChelG mentioned, which could definitely allude to the latter? Maybe the carapace part hasn’t really formed yet at that point, actually…

12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Winner x 5
  13. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

I figured there was something like that, and also something about stress-testing gear; Giovanni gives them expensive prototypes, they get put through the wringer, they report back with what broke first and how well it performed.

And occasionally they manage to steal something or disrupt a rival organization or go "Hey we found a great opportunity here". Giovanni has no idea how they do it, they just kind of picked some trouble magnets and bumble around and Results Occur.

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  15. Acey

Luz Noceda is yet another character I am CONVINCED is a filthy Homestuck.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 1
  16. Acey

“Witchling” seems to be the “formal” term for a child witch on the Boiling Isles; given that Gwen calls Eda “witchlet” as a term of endearment, I suspect that if “witchling” is “child,” “witchlet” is “kiddo.”

• Like x 1
  17. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

steamworld fen has an extremely good spatial memory and after heist gets banned from multiple fairs' shell game stands.

at least once another member of the crew has cheated at shell games by disguising that theyre on comms with fen and having fen tell them which cup was which.

18. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

That... would imply the existence of an honest shell game, which I didn't think was a thing. The shell game is a scam where by the time the mark makes his guess, the pea is no longer under any of the shells, and he can't win.

• Informative x 1
  19. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

i might be thinking of a different, related, non-scam-version

20. Acey

Warden Wrath is actually a very loving single father working to support lil Braxas. It’s just that his choice of career is VERY morally questionable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice