Sorting stuff out

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by palindromordnilap, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

How about trying something like this the next time you feel yourself starting to get angry or distressed: do that breathing exercise with that gif, maybe stim and do that video game thing. When you come back, use your vent thread to post your opinions and holler as much as you want (without quoting people of course). If you're upset on the behalf of someone you care about, talk to them, bitch together about the thing that's bothering you, and ask for permission before taking any actions for them. Chances are very high your friends and loved ones don't want you upsetting people for their sake.

• Like x 2
  2. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Also I just want to throw in my support for mutually ignoring the people you're bothered by.

• Like x 3
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

BTW, after that short interaction with Khan in my vent thread, I've finally managed to break my brain out of the "This is not a real person" mentality, and can now definitely see how she got hurt by what I did, and I do feel bad for that. I've also managed to extend that to Vivec, so, now, I can actually say that I'm sorry for what I did.

• Like x 4
  4. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Apologies for quoting a vent thread right after I got upset at someone for doing the same, but this seems like a situation that's a reasonable exception? I'll delete this if not, it seemed like a more diplomatic solution than linking right to the original, but more explanatory than being like 'lol oops nvm'. After reading back over it, I... thhhhink what happened here is I mistook the subject of this post for palin when it was actually cA, feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong. Sorry about that, I am Pretty Fucking Bad at inferring context.

Blatant lie is not a fair description, and this whole situation has been LOADED with ugly acccusations and name-calling. If you want to slam anybody it should be me for not reading carefully enough before adding that to my summary of what happened. I'm going to correct my post (and re-correct if my guess above is wrong), because I care about communicating accurately and truthfully, and I'm going to keep posting here, because I care about social debugging and I care about stopping this from happening again, but I emphatically do not want to take part in any private conversations with you.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    • Like x 2
  5. palindromordnilap

I'd definitely be okay with that! Though at least one person has said, if I understood their post correctly, that they wouldn't do that because they think I'm immediately going to unignore and shittalk them, which I maintain I wouldn't do since I only check content from the people I ignore if:
    - I'm missing part of a thread and it doesn't make sense (Which doesn't apply here)
    - I have reasonable suspicion that they're talking about me (Which I wouldn't if we're both ignoring each other)

6. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

That's good to know. But please do keep in mind that some people are just not going to trust you now, and might not ever. That's one of the consequences of what you did, and something else to try and keep in mind for when you feel yourself slipping.

• Like x 5
  7. palindromordnilap

Ah, I see. Yeah, that's not about me. I assumed you were referring to something else, so, yeah, "blatant lies" probably isn't fair here. Sorry.

8. palindromordnilap

Yeah, I lost a few people I was kinda considering as friends there, so, that's also going to be something I'll have to keep in mind.

• Like x 2
  9. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

I also want to say sorry. I saw you were having a rough time and kept quiet, even though I could feel a storm coming.

Going forward, I'd like to try and help you more, remind you of past instances and your desire to be better. When I see you getting stressed out, I'll try to be there.

• Like x 1
  10. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

@spockandawe, You're correct and also I am being Pretty Uncharitable in that whole exchange, so I want to clarify that that no longer reflects my actual stance on the matter.

• Like x 2
  11. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

for the record, cedar wasn't doing any spying for either of us. i actually felt a little upset with cedar at the time bc i felt as if they were poking fun of my paranoia problems with some of the joking around they did in the vent threads, and brought it up with them.

cedar and i are in disagreement about a lot of the situation.

• Like x 1
  12. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

So is this considered sorted out or...?

13. palindromordnilap

It seems no one had anything else to add?
    One thing I should probably mention here, after the reaction image thing from yesterday, is that I need to find a way to ask myself "Could this be considered inappropriate/offensive?" whenever I'm about to post something.

14. IvyLB

I thought you had agreed to trying to invest effort into getting better? That includes keeping up on these things without getting poked.

15. palindromordnilap

Yeah, definitely! It's just that this thread was mostly to ask people for help with that, but now that I think about it, I guess it would be a good idea to post the stuff I'm thinking of myself.
    I think I should get a memo thing that's easily accessible, possibly pops up on the screen every once in a while. It would actually also help for managing my life in general, so I just need to find a thing that does that.

• Like x 1
  16. IvyLB

Would phone reminders work or does it have to be on your computer? I believe there's a thread somewhere about helpful phone apps

17. palindromordnilap

I don't keep my phone next to me when I'm in my room, and it's muted because of Skype notifications, so it would have to be on my computer.

18. IvyLB

I would google around, or, if you're using Chrome, I believe that one has a calender function? Maybe that could be finangled into that kidn of thing?

• Like x 1
  19. palindromordnilap

Okay, a thing I just figured out: when I do something like the nazi comparison, it can be just because I'm being insensitive, but it's also often to shock people into realizing the problems with their arguments.
    (As an example,
    I was tempted to post something like "The real question is, was the person who read someone's insulting posts about them and got upset/offended/triggered/etc. wearing revealing clothing?"
    )

20. palindromordnilap

Essentially, what I'm doing now is, when I feel angry/upset/whatever, I'm taking some time before posting anything to ask myself "Is this appropriate? If not, why do I want to post it?" and it seems to be working pretty well!

• Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice