space loser giant kitty committee (voltron)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by unknownanonymous, Jun 19, 2016.

1. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

goddamn I just bingewatched S4-E1-3,5,6.

And the fic I'm writing is now officially AU/Divergent Canon.

2. winterykite

During musing on how to structure the thing I'm writing, a scene unfolded with someone asking Lotor if he had conspired with Voltron to destabilize the Galra Empire.

I mean, it's kind of obvious if you think about it.

Lotor came out of nowhere, basically. He's a dude in a fancy schmancy custom armour, the son of the Emperor, but no one recognized him until he took off his helmet and gave his speech. He talks about giving everyone a fair chance, be they full-blooded Galra or not. The Galra probably already have a promotion based on merit system, even if it only extends to them. It's quite delicate in some regards, and fosters a certain us-versus-them and a rather blasé attitude towards anyone not full-blooded Galra.
    But there are Galra hybrids, so at least some Galra have been sleeping outside the traditional gene pool, and might be willing to listen for the sake of their children.

So Lotor shows up, clashes some with Voltron, and then gets his hands on something that gets built into a series of ships. He diverts engineers, quite possibly the brightest minds, and lets Voltron and the growing coalition do as they please.
    The Galra lose vast amounts of territory with each passing day, when before they'd been expanding, dealing with Voltron on its case-by-case basis, recapturing planets, and not letting them get a foothold. But now Voltron is gaining, and gaining fast, and Lotor isn't doing anything against it.

The Galra probably have their fair amount of gossip, as was hinted at during Lotor's introductory scene. It's likely that whatever Lotor is building there, people other than the engineers know about it. People have brothers, old pals they captured this or that planet with or held out in this or that frigid wasteland waiting for supplies, people they drink with during their off-hours. There's gonna be talk.
    Maybe some picked up that it's going to be a weapon specifically against Voltron. Maybe some piece together that whatever these ships are, they're fuckin weird. There's gonna be questions, very quietly, very hush-hush, where did he get that stuff?

Considering the conversation with Zarkon when he relieved Lotor of his duties, Lotor did factor in his father recovering sooner or later. His plan was probably to make a grand reveal about his secret weapon against Voltron, and get back into his father's good graces, while simultanously forcing him to enlist non-Galra to bolster their numbers, seeing as the coalition is gaining ground. Make the vassal planets not want to betray the Galra, fully absorb them.
    (I choose to believe his speech in his introductory scene)

Haggar, and by extension Zarkon, getting wind of the ships threw a big fat wrench into his plans, especially since it was via Narti. Wonder why he picked Narti for that meeting, seeing as she has Haggar's old cat.
    He does not get the chance to give an explanation to Zarkon, and he might not have wanted to -- it's likely Zarkon would've requisitioned the ships and then Lotor would have nothing.
    And then he does not tell his Generals why he offed Narti, and they turn on him as he is unceremoniously declared an enemy of the empire.
    Thinking quick, he decides to make contact with Voltron -- maybe if he can offer them intel or a sob-story about he wants to change the Galra, they won't kill him outright. And as long as he's alive, he can always regroup and recover. He's probably been doing that his whole life.

But to an outsider? He came from nowhere, assumed power, destabilized the Galra, and then switched sides to Voltron. He's planning this with them from the start, obviously. Maybe the weapon was real, but you need something on Voltron's level to fight Voltron -- and where's the most likely source of information on that? Bingo, Voltron and its crew.
    The scandal basically writes itself.

• Like x 2
  3. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

-edges in, scared of being told exactly how I'm Wrong and I Should Feel Bad For Being Wrong again- Uhm, I mean, this is probably blindingly obvious to anyone with a brain which I'm obviously not one of those people, I'm really stupid, I know, I'm sorry...

It's occurred to me that another thing nobody seems to be talking about is the possiblity that Project Kuron isn't a cloning thing, but instead put some kind of sleeper-agent-Winter-Soldierish trigger in Shiro's head? I mean, that would explain the headache he mentioned as well as the slightly off behaviour, and I mean if some imperialist Galra-side dude could literally just walk up to the black paladin and Trigger-word him into turning on his teammates, I mean....

We've established that even allied Galra (aka the Blades of Mamora) consider putting teammates above victory kind of dumb, and if someone had observed that behaviour in Voltron and decided to use that against them...

And also, @KarrinBlue, I'm really sorry I flipped out like that. I've been having a really bad brain week and didn't know how to properly convey that we were getting our wires crossed. What I think a character ought to do is not necessarily the same as what I know a character would do (and I mean definitely not in the outlined case we were discussing), and I was voicing an opinion rather than stating a fact, where you seemed to think I was doing the latter?

Clearer example - I often think Keith should value himself more. I think the team in general could be kinder to Lance, even though he is kind of a douchebag sometimes. I think Allura should try to be a little more outgoing in her acceptance of people she's already mentally marked as 'evil'. All of these things I think the characters should do. I don't think they're going to, however. Does that make sense?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I'm just starting s3, so perhaps this has been explained away, but SO and I have a theory as to why Keith was able to pilot the black lion: the black lion prefers Galra (Zarkon, Shiro's hand, Keith).

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

hi yes, i'm months late but i finally watched seasons 3 and 4, have my liveblog

S3:E6
    After they found Shiro and him and Keith are talking in his room: Omg they're so gay. (I don't actually know if I ship it, but wow)

S3:E7
    !! Flash back ep!!

I KNEW IT. I KNEW SHE WAS ALTEAN. But isn't her name something different now? Hmm...

Zarkon's face makes a :3 when his mouth is closed. How am I ever supposed to take him seriously as a villain again?

No, really I can't get over Zarkon's :3 face.

"am I a leg?" ahahahaha it's canon: All yellow paladins must make a comment about being a leg upon forming Voltron for the first time.

Shiiiiiiit

Okay, really was that supposed to be a huge reveal at the end? I thought it was obvious once they mentioned they were married at the begining of the episode

Also, yay, Zarkon is given some motivation! He's not pure evil! ... I never thought I'd see the day when I was excited about morally grey vilians, but here we are.
    (I used to get really distressed with things weren't black and white :P)

Oh, hey that was the season finale.

S4:E1
    Keith baby trying to be a blade of mamora. a;sdklfadsf

can we stop with the
    Shiro: Keith, you're the leader now, you need to lead! You need to learn to make decisions!
    Keith: *tries to lead and make decisions*
    Shiro: No, no, you have to listen to me!
    exchange? it's getting exhausting. Especially since Keith looks up to Shiro so much, he's not going to say anything.

like i understand the necessity of politics, but why aren't any of the other palidins complainging like keith is?

okay keith, now that's going a bit far... you could help pass out stuff to help people

yeah i didn't think the black lion would let people die

wow okay that just happened. also like. keith is dealing with grief here, how can no one else see it
    "we'll be here for you" yeah like you've been there for him for the last month (or however long)?

S4:E2
    !!!!!! PIDGE'S NAME COMES FROM MATT'S NICKNAME FOR THEM AHHHH I CAN'T

"really? this is how we're doing it? all i want is the information" lol i love pidge

eeeee matt is a little spy i love it

look, matt isn't dead. it's not possible. this is still a kid's show

it's a code!! i told you he's alive. duh
    (how would he know what coordinates to set his birthday to though. like how long was he expecting to be in one place, how long has that graveyard been there (also we're just kind of skipping over the horror that is that graveyard, yeah? yeah.), i have so many questions)

pidge isn't the best fighter, are they?

yeah i called that.

adfkljad that is so cute. couple fights are my favorite (couple as in two people)

(also i love how matt already calls pidge, pidge, so like. if they decide to do the trans thing, it's not going to be a difficult switch)

S4:E3
    yeah calling that lotor isn't all evil. not great, seriously. but not the same as zarkon

ahahaha wtf

pidge is adorable

"this is our cow!" wtf

.... this is weird. they uh, like milk too much (shhh re your homestuck is showing)

that smile wasn't good

blind lotor henchperson is weird (edit: natri? i mean i like her, but yeah)

hmmm i just got a "this is a bad idea" feeling....

why does lance know how to milk a cow????

"whoever they're attacking, we have to help" yup i'm sure you do

oh wow he just killed her. wow.

S4:E4
    wow they're terrible actors

... coran just got hooked on drugs, didn't he?

that is terrifying

why does he suddenly have a southern accent

"well it rhymes so it's gotta be true" thanks hunk

... that shouldn't have worked

i'm sad that they stopped avoiding pronouns with pidge

"we're blasting off again...."

this is painful to watch.

that was creepy as fuck

what the fuck. he's going to put everyone in danger. i mean of course, but still

"help me bi-boh-bi you're my only hope" pfffft

that whole thing was disturbing.

S4:E5
    oh hey, were /was/ matt during that whole last episode?

oh, so all of lotor's lieutenants are girls. interesting? nice? idk

did she not go through?

wait i thought they tried to steal stuff from them??

"i'll see you on the other side of the war"

lol nice hunk

ouch, damn. a third???

yay! keith is back!

oh damn that knife hand switch is always hot

sentry: .... *hops away* ahahahaha

why can alura freeze them? oh okay

oh damn, they're plotting against him. she's not gonna though. those two are dead
    OH SHIT SHE DID IT

WHAT THE FUCK. THAT WAS TERRIFYING WHAT THE (edit: this is the arm thing he did to get out of the cuffs)

"good"? what's your plan haggar?

S4:E6
    there are a lot of casualties...

"awake"? i don't like the sound of that

"this can't be safe" thank you hunk

no one saw that coming

(look at keith being all leaderly and making decisions~)

awwww lance giving a pep talk

okay, so what if they get out?? it's still a problem! thank you hunk

KEITH DON'T YOU KAMIKAZI THIS SHIT

lotor?? wtf???

(that smirk, holy fuck)

that.... was a lot

• Winner x 2
  6. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Lance is a farm boy and also a theatre kid

These are cherished headcanons you can't take them from me.

• Agree x 3
  7. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Lizardlicks - 10/24/2017
    Thing that makes me unreasonably happy: Lance is a farm boy
    Karrin Blue - 10/24/2017
    right
    he has definitely grown up around cattle
    Lizardlicks - 10/24/2017
    Yeah
    You don't just know how to milk a cow
    That shit takes practice
    Karrin Blue - 10/24/2017
    yep
    and clearly kaltenecker don't mind so he's doing it right
    he's not hurting her by accident
    i wonder if he knows other farm stuff
    like. could he make cheese.
    Lizardlicks - 10/24/2017
    Probably!
    Karrin Blue - 10/24/2017
    i was a bit worried about the milk not being pasteurized
    Lizardlicks - 10/24/2017
    Ehe I bet he's one of those kids that used to steal sips of the cream
    Karrin Blue - 10/24/2017
    hee
    Lizardlicks - 10/24/2017
    I'm picturing farm kid lance and it makes my heart happy
    Chasing chickens
    Getting chased by the pig
    And the rooster
    And the goats
    Then chasing the goats because oh shit he left the gate open and they are going to get into the apple orchard and eat all the new trees
    Karrin Blue - 10/24/2017
    :3
    Lizardlicks - 10/24/2017
    That is if the don't find they garden first

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  8. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

hello, i've binged the entire show in the last week

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 2
  9. Technicality

apparently there might be new episodes of Voltron on March 2? maybe? trying to verify this information

• Informative x 1
  10. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

yep! The official instragram posted a thing that said 'new episodes march 2'

• Informative x 2
  11. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

• Informative x 1
  12. Derpyteacakes

Derpyteacakes Thread Hermit

-screams- breaks down door-

THERES A VOLTRON THREAD?!?!?!! HELLO FRIENDS!

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  13. Derpyteacakes

Derpyteacakes Thread Hermit

if the current shiro is actually a clone wouldnt it be cool if the real shiro was teleported to earth by the black lion to save him after the fight with zarkon? I feel like the paladins could get a message from him and then angst and lets go get him and clone??? shiro being on earth would explain how he didnt make it back to the team, and maybe the garrison has shiro locked up or something. so when they rescue him the team cant even visit their families/homes/etc and they have to leave earth again right away and more sadness

also i like the idea of something hidden under keiths dads shack out in the dessert. like a message in a hidden room or data or even something crazy like someone in a cryopod queue keith (bring him back Q~Q) being all wtf more secrets whines

also i was wondering:

are these season 5 previews or are they seperate like the vlogs seem to be?

speaking of extra content

i know theres the comics (both both retelling the show and added side story ones)
    and i know theres the paladins handbook (but i heard that one wasnt written but the shows writers so it isnt considered canon)
    but where do the vlogs fall in? are they canon? are they only on youtube? if i bought the voltron dvds would they be on there somewhere or no? also i never found a shiro vlog does he not have one?

I want keith back with his family and happy and not trying to drive fighters into galra destroyer shields in a stupid attempt at self sacrifice
    i want the shiro thing explained and fixed so everyone is happy
    i want lance to be happy and give his buddy a hug a want him to step up and be the wonderful boy we know he is
    i want an LGBT arc damnit
    i want to hug keith and pidge my autism babies and lance my ADHD baby and shiro my PTSD large baby and i want to give hunk a hug because our precious sunshine boy and i want allura to feel happy and coran to have peers and im crying i love this show so much i never thought something like this could exist there were no characters like in in kids shows when i was growing up this fills a void Q~Q

TLDR:

clone shiro?
    shiro on earth?
    evil garrison?
    earth secrets?
    wondering about extra content (vlogs and dreamworks youtube)
    and derpy is emotional

• Agree x 2
  14. Technicality

new episodes are OUT

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  15. Technicality

and they're really good

• Agree x 4
  16. TrillianAri

TrillianAri 5'7" of whelm on a 5'4" frame.

My housemates are dragging me through the first season. Updates forthcoming!

• Winner x 1
  17. PotteryWalrus

Does anyone have any good fic recs for this fandom? I'm craving some Klance for some reason, but I'll take almost any ships so long as they're done well. Polydins as well, because those kids need love.

Except romantic Allura/Lotor. I like them as friends, and I can definitely see a platonic 'I'll supply male gametes if you need them to reboot the Altean race' thing happening, but I still like Allura/Shiro better :3

also they don't have to be shippy at all for that matter, but as I said I'm craving a bit of romance.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  18. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

@PotteryWalrus, I did a rec post upthread, but unfortunately it's pretty much all gen because that's my preference.

That said, squirenonny, whose genfic is amazing, also does write Klance, so wandering through their archive and bookmarks would probably be worth it for a start. BossToaster is someone else who I rely on for genfic but who writes a bunch of different pairings. Hope this helps as a start, at least.

• Agree x 1
  19. winterykite

Ok so based on the narrative juxtaposition of Keith and Acxa one of the main theories is that they're half-siblings, right?

Now we got a good look at Krolia who basically looks like a female 100% Galra Keith, and she's got a weird two-tone hair in addition to her hair wings

And it looked kind of familiar

Because Zethrid has a really similar hairstyle. Just bigger and in a different colour scheme.

So what if it's not Acxa and Keith who are half-siblings, but Zethrid and Keith, and either Zethrid has a pic of her mom which I doubt because I think if she cared that much we would've gotten something from her along those lines, but if Acxa knew Krolia (maybe Acxa and Zethrid are childhood friends, halfbreeds stick together, possibly out of necessity, or because they're all forced into the same quarters, maybe Acxa worked for Krolia and Krolia took her under her wing), anyways Acxa knows what Krolia looks like and is somewhat fond of her and then this alien shows up who looks just like Krolia but in dude (although who even knows with these aliens sometimes) and with a different colour scheme and she has like a million reasons not to kill him just yet.

• Like x 3
  20. PotteryWalrus

This past season has had some flaws but holy shit has it made me ship shiro <>Keith like a fucking hurricane

• Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice