Sparkly Clean: A Kintsugi 'How Do I Clean This' Thread

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by TheMockingCrows, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I kinda did that already and shoved about half of what I own into my storeroom, so I need to go through that at some point, but to do so I need to take it out of the storeroom. Alas, the paradox of hiding hoarding. Still, I have a box of books that needs to go to Ziffit... I don't know whether I should get rid of my girlier shirts or if I'll want them in the future, but that's for the gender threads.

2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I have no idea what the hell the previous occupants of my apartment did, but the whole apparatus above the stove with the fan and the light and the filter over it is, like, sticky with what I assume is ancient grease, and I've never been able to get any of it clean even with soap and scrubbing. Any ideas/suggestions?

3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

when all else fails try baking soda and/or vinegar?

• Agree x 1
  4. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Oven cleaner. It's going to smell like hell for the next four hours, but it'll take it off.

• Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
  5. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Steam to soften up the grease and Barkeepers Friend.

6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Soooooo

my sibling was doing laundry in the middle of the night without most of the lights on, and apparently somehow a roll of toilet paper had fallen in the washing machine. And then when they saw the mess, they tried to get some of it off their clothes by running them through the dryer, because this seemed like a good idea at 4 AM.

Now that it's daylight, we've
    1. started the washing machine on an empty run with some vinegar in it and scrubbed the paper residue that was still stuck to the inside
    2. vacuumed up all the paper mess in the dryer, emptied the giant wad of paper out of the lint trap, cleared out the outside vent, and run it on no heat to try to blow more of the paper out
    3. pulled all the clothes out to re-wash by hand and re-run later.
    Is there anything else we should be doing to try to avoid this ruining our very recently replaced appliances?

• Witnessed x 5
  7. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

um, it might not be a bad idea to call a repair person to take a look inside the dryer, or to do it yourself if you are able. Like, partially disassemble it take a look inside. Having paper bouncing around inside of a machine known for potentially catching fire if not maintained properly sounds like a very bad recipe.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice