Starbound: Exploration the Game

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Mendacity, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

I noticed a lack of Starbound thread, so I thought I would make one!

For those who don't know, Starbound is an exploration pixel game in the same vein as Terraria.
    It's a game about you, the player, finding yourself stranded above an alien world in your spaceship. You have no FTL drive, no fuel, and no way to get out. Your first goal is to repair your ship, of course, so you have to go onto the planet to get resources! There are monsters, but you have weapons. Starting weapons, your ship, unique spaceship pet, armor, and a few other things are determined by your race.

The races are:
    Human - "In spite of their long and turbulent history, Humans tend to possess a lighthearted and optimistic outlook towards life and the Universe. Instead of focusing on expansion, humanity set about forming a society that would unite the people of the Universe – The Terrene Protectorate."

Apex - "A race of highly intelligent primates. For millennia, the Apex were close to human in appearance until a scientific breakthrough allowed them to trade physical devolution for intellectual evolution."

Avian - "Avians are a race of colourful birdfolk whose tribal culture revolves around the worship of Kluex – the winged god of the Aether. Their soldiers are trained from birth to be fierce warriors who will protect their temples at any cost."

Hylotl - "The peaceful Hylotl place a lot of value on the traditions of their ancestors and take great comfort in the arts. Originally dwelling on land, their passive nature made them easy prey for the Florans and they were driven beneath the waves, where they now thrive."

Glitch - "The Glitch were built in order to simulate a civilization. A fault in their programming caused them to become stuck early in the simulation, and to this day they are unable to shake their Medieval values and beliefs."

Floran - "Don’t be fooled by their peaceful appearance! Florans are known throughout the Universe to be aggressive, carnivorous hunters. Not particularly inventive on their own, they’re fond of stealing and adapting technology from people they’ve attacked."

Novakid - "The Novakids are a mystery to all – described as ‘interstellar gas-bag people’, they resemble volatile star matter, both physically and emotionally. While generally more intelligent than the “fleshier” races, their short attention spans and wild attitude means little of their history has been recorded."

Each planet is different, each planet can have a variety of biomes (both surface and underground) along with its base biome. The stars are ranked by how difficult they are to explore (Gentle, Eccentric, Radioactive, Frozen, and Firey) so it's easy to know when star-hopping where you should be going. There's an outpost that you go to rather early on where quests are! These quests can help you get upgrades for your ship, and get items you need to survive in various places (like an implant to make you able to go on airless planets or on radioactive planets). There are tons of things to gather like weapons, costumes, musical instruments, and other little toys and things. You can completely decorate your ship if you like (even to the point of taking out the back wall and replacing it) and you can make entire villages.

I haven't done the settlement / colony thing but you can make entire settlements on planets if you want! You can even gather rent from these people, which is super cool!

Anyhow, I've been playing a lot of this game lately and I adore it. My favorite race are the Floran, I absolutely love them and think they're adorable. Right now I need to make my ship pretty (though it needs some upgrades still) and find an Avian Tomb. The game is super fun but also serves as a huge time sink.

Oh and by the way: I have a server for Starbound. For anyone who has the game, or gets the game, just let me know and I'll send you the server info. I'd rather not post it here because I don't want randos in it, but it's super fun and even more fun to play when others are around!

2. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

*sidles up to this thread*

I finally bought Starbound a few days ago after eyeing it for ages, and damn but I'm having a ton of fun with it. It's just different enough from Terraria to make it worth playing itself, while having a lot of the things I love about Terraria or in some cases doing it better - I LOVE having One Tool to place/remove stuff with, and love that I can upgrade it instead of having a bunch of different items to do the same thing. I also love that I never really have to worry about running out of ores - I can just find a new planet to explore and mine. It's also really pretty, and I super enjoy the music.

I've been doing a lot of exploring, and I've played around with making a little colony. I've mostly tried to stay unspoiled because discovery is half the fun.

• Like x 2
  3. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

Starbound's always looked interesting to me, but it's one of those things that I just can't seem to find even fifteen dollars to grab.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  4. Mercury

No shame waiting for a sale - that's usually what I do.

• Like x 2
  5. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Floran agree, Floran bessst race. Ssstab all non-Floran, take ssspaceship, find more to hunt and ssstab ssstab ssstab!

• Like x 2
  6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I'll admit, we hit it like... two years ago? Back when it first opened up for open beta. And the devs are absolutely wonderful when it comes to feedback and tweaks. It's been sort of an incredible ride following it through the beta, and they did really well at testing mechanincs in the beta without giving away any of what they were planning for the story.

When it released properly, we tried it out again and holy shit everything was new and exciting again.

Also the Novakid are my favorites next to the Hyotl. I'm so glad the Hyotl cities got implemented in game.

• Like x 3
  7. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Floran visit fish city, ssssteal fish music, inssstall on Floran ship. Floran best scavenger.

• Like x 3
  8. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I love all the races (and yeah, the Hylotl underwater cities are the best), but I only play Avians for... Some reason, I guess. And I kinda abused the /admin command a lot
    Anyway, this game is awesome. Exactly the space game I always wanted. Though I'm sure it's probably even better in multiplayer.

9. Mercury

It's kind of an odd thing, but I REALLY love how pretty much any tree of any type I cut down will give me a sapling of that type. I just came across a forest planet with a bunch of trees that grow giant roses - you BET I'm going to make a colony full of those things.

• Like x 4
  10. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

So after much disappointment from NMS I came back to starbound. I've sunk another 18 hours into it in the past two weeks. I forgot how brutal it is sometimes, especially the bosses. I only just managed to beat the final boss after fully upgrading everything. But I did get some cool screenshots, and I'm working to restore an abandoned Glitch castle.

• Like x 1
  11. palindromordnilap

I found this from some OC blog and it's the best:

• Like x 5
  12. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I have played this for a while and while I have not gotten that far with the "main plot" (just finished the Avian themed instance), my farm produces vegetables from all over the galaxy and I am filthy rich.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    • Like x 1
  13. Technicality

When this game was in super early alpha saves got deleted monthly because they had to rewrite the universe and how characters were saved. That was fun,
    especially since it was intentional and not a glitch

14. Technicality

15. palindromordnilap

• Like x 3
  16. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Got back into playing this again and have already sunk SO MUCH TIME into it. We've gotten past the Avian instance, but our lusty desire for new characters and new ships keeps us constantly remaking characters. :')

• Like x 1
  17. Technicality

Hey, the 1.3 unstable update is here, it adds mechs, friendly/enemy ships, stations, and a lot more!

• Useful x 1
  18. Technicality

• Winner x 2
  19. Technicality

starbound 1.3 is out now

• Winner x 2
  20. Technicality

If anyone wants to play some Starbound 1.3 with me, I'd love to start a new game. I've been playing around with the Frackin' Universe mod, though I can uninstall that if people don't want to use that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice