Stay Whelmed, Season 3 is Coming (Young Justice Cartoon fanthread!)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by KarrinBlue, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Why can't I rate something both Winner and Agree

2. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

A fun fact: just as the normal friends Wendy and Marvin are based on the super friends cartoon

[​IMG]

These four:[​IMG]

Are a revamp of this group:

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

(sliding over here to avoid a massive derail, because I have so many feelings about YJ)

@KarrinBlue "Appellaxian" was just the first alien name I could think of, though I do have a pretty big stockpile of Young Justice AU fics if you'd like some links. Are there any ships or themes that are automatically nopes for you?

4. KarrinBlue

it is a good show to feel feelings about!

hm... nothing that bashes any of the other characters, i'm pretty fond of everyone. Also it's best if the female characters don't get shoved off to the side - I'm very very fond of M'gann and Artemis, and their relationships and connections to the rest of the team. also aqualad! the trend of nobly killing him off or pushing him offscreen so Dick can be in charge is not fun for me.

As for things I like - Poly-pile is classic but my favorite that practically nobody is writing is Dick/Kaldur/Artemis. Kaldur and his right-hand ninjas. All the fun of general/lieutenant, an ot3 to boot, and all the fun of paralleling and contrasting Dick and Artemis.

(i still want a political-drama fantasy au. feat: young general-prince kaldur, set on Rebellion and clawing his way up the ladder. also feat: captain of his guard (a guard of 1 person) conner, spymaster dick, lieutenant artemis, head researcher wally, and chief diplomat m'gann.)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

(wait omg dick/kaldur/artemis and all combinations thereof are, like, my absolute favorite rarepairings, but there is tragically little content for it. i've been working on a dick/kaldur fic for months that i'm hoping to actually finish one day)

RocksCanFly on ao3 has some stuff that you might enjoy! My favorite fic of theirs is "Recovery", which is this incredible sci-fi flavored, Kaldur-centric political intrigue story, but they've also written some high-fantasy type AUs.

EDIT:
    I should mention that ch. 11 of "Recovery" has a pretty intense hallucination sequence and some suicidal thoughts. Kaldur is in a not-great place for lots of the fic in general

6. KarrinBlue

OH and I don't like the thing that happens when people try and combine YJ with the rest of the DC universe and can't meld them together. YJ's backstory and history and character variants are fun for me, and it's also completely incompatible with a ton of other canons.

7. KarrinBlue

And yeah it is my most favorite of pairings. Like.

Right from the getgo Artemis and Dick are paralleled, they balance each other out. They're both Gotham kids wihout superpowers, trained from a very young age - And they click, is the thing, in Homefront, and after that it's very easy to spot them tag teaming a bad guy, attacking or doing something together, and Artemis is the person Dick trusts to go in after Kaldur (I mean there's also quite a few cold logical reasons BUT) - And they've both been Kaldur's right hand, (and in my personal headcanon I like to think that they are both super bi and have nigh on identical taste in partners.) And in the s3 art their costumes are - along the same lines, have some matching aspects, nearly identical except for a few slight changes.

So really anything delving into that is great. It doesn't even need to be romantic - honestly the important thing is that they are on the same wavelength half the time, and the other half they're covering the other's weak points. The important thing is that they are drift compatible.

And then kaldur! Really i will pay attention to any trio that has Artemis and Dick as the points of a V around someone else, but Kaldur makes it so good. General and lieutenant is choice, and his relationships with the both of them are so so good. His right and left hands, the people he trusts more than anyone else, the people he relies on, who believe in him.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 1
  8. KarrinBlue

Cool, I'll take a look!

is the anonmeme at all active, incidentally?

9. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

Uhhh I think it was active like 3 years ago? Haven't really checked much recently. I think most of the fic has migrated to ao3.

10. KarrinBlue

Yeah that's about what I had figured, darn.

man i hope that it revives a bit upon s3, right now the only thing is a lot of people complaining in the tumblr tag.

11. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

if anyone else would like to share their favorite fic recs, I would love to read them! i am a glutton

12. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

I am in a timbart mood, so: Therapy for the Human Encyclopedia by kingburu on ao3 is pretty great.

• Like x 1
  13. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Am I the only person who feels like upon discovering tumblr, Bart follows like 50000 blogs, "somehow" keeps up with all of them, and constantly complains about how slow computers (and tumblr itself) are because like, he has to wait for stuff to load and don't you know that takes forever? So Bart's acclimatization to the 21st century involves a lot of memes and tumblrspeak, and some teenager freaks the fuck out when Kid Flash memes at them in the middle of a rescue.

Also he's probably a homestuck. Idk, it just seems likely to me. Maybe I'm projecting.

• Agree x 1
  14. KarrinBlue

I mean maybe? But I very much doubt that the internet or any technology beyond what could be scavenged or built at home existed where he's from. Even having working computers or being able to look things up without having to ask around would be a new experience.

15. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

How's everyone feeling about the season 3 promotional materials?

I'm liking everything I've seen so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing Black Lightning's role--I'm not super familiar with the character, but he's going to have an arc in 'Tec soon that I'm really excited for. And also, even a glimpse of my girl Steph in a tv show will be great.

The only thing I'm worried about is the absence of Kaldur and M'gann in the promo materials. I hope they're still a big part of the show, especially because the fallout of the Invasion and the undercover gambit would hit them especially hard.

• Like x 1
  16. KarrinBlue

I'm nervous but excited! Especially what with Nightwing's two appearances being in a matching special-ops costume to Artemis, and also on a team with complete strangers, but. As long as the bond between the core team is still strong, I'll be happy.

I don't think we need to worry about Kaldur and M'gann! Both their VAs have been confirmed to be in the new season - hell, Khary Payton's been doing the bulk of the promo interviews lately.

My personal theory is that, while they are in the new season, Circumstances have meant that their physical appearances will make a much better in-show reveal than a teaser image. In other words, I'm hoping that after 2 seasons Kaldur (who must be mid-twenties by now) will get a new costume and a new hero name. M'gann I'm not sure about, but I feel like it'll be more of the same - a new look for a new season, and something big enough that the creators want the punch of us seeing it onscreen without any spoilers.

• Like x 1
  17. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

oh I had not known that Khary Payton was doing press! That is encouraging. I just checked wikipedia, and M'gann's voice actor Danica McKellar was also confirmed to be coming back, so that's good too. I hope they have significant screen time, not just little cameos. Kaldur and M'gann really grew on me when I rewatched the series, and I want to see more of them as adults

18. KarrinBlue

Considering that Kaldur ended the last season as the only person in who knows how many centuries to outwit Vandal Savage, I don't think he'll be relegated to a cameo role.

19. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

what I should be doing: my work

what I'm actually doing: making another young justice playlist

• Witnessed x 1
  20. KarrinBlue

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice