Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

so gay.

• Like x 2
  2. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

3. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

The gayest. I remember when it first started gaining traction and people were like "yeah but it's all gonna be subtext" and nope. Nope, it's magical lesbians all the way down. I'm so happy kids get this show.

• Like x 13
  4. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I watched about 10 episodes of SU before I got my husband into it, and despite me telling him how very gay it is he was politely skeptical of how gay it really was.

It didn't take him very many episodes at all before he started frequently exclaiming, "This show is SO GAY."

• Like x 12
  5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Have an Ame and Triangle kitten doodle:
    Ame.jpg Peridotalt.jpg

• Like x 9
  6. Elph

ME TOO, DUDE. ME TOO.
    (Also, how did people know at that point that there would be significant lesbianity? Was this during the short "fans have figured out that Garnet is a fusion even though Jailbreak hasn't aired yet" phase? Or were they just being generally hopeful?)

Good.

• Like x 1
  7. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

Rose's Scabbard was incredibly gay and aired before Jailbreak (I remember checking the tags and seeing the argument that "Pearl was her knight!" and how totally not gay her love was)

• Like x 6
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i remember that, it was the handmaiden and feudal lord debate all over again.

• Like x 3
  9. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

i'm not sure if i told this before, but my 8 year old cousin was talking about SU a while ago (because i mentioned I liked it so he started watching and liked it! i love my little cousin) and he liked Garnet, and then he said, like.. "i don't really understand because she's a girl made of two other girls, and they like each other and are, like, married or something? but they're two girls..." to which i said "well, sometimes two girls get married" and he was all "oh, ok then. I think ruby and sapphire are really cool together, anyway."

i... love the show.

• Like x 14
  10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Honestly, this was a little before we got a lot of the Rose/Pearl stuff and the "Garnet is a fusion" theory was running side by side with "Gems are born when their parent dies so both of Garnet's parents died" (because at this point we'd had Opal and Sugalite, and I think the Alexandrite episode had just aired? So our perceptions of fusion were "unstable and tended towards violence".)

So most of the hope was coming from the large cast of women and the Pearl/Amethyst interactions. And then the lesbian ball really got rolling, and we all rejoiced.

• Like x 5
  11. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i remember that theory...

i think i read a post about it on my dash once, back when the theory was popular.

12. liminal

I'm just gonna leave this here

• Like x 8
  13. Elph

..I think Pearl being in love with Rose was just so blindingly obvious that I accepted it as tautological and didn't consider it in chronological order :P

• Like x 1
  14. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

sighs because I love this video but it was used by a person I was arguing with on Facebook as incontrovertible evidence that Pearl Is Lesbian And All Other Interpretations Are Sinful

15. liminal

uuugh, I like the "Pearl is a lesbian" headcanon, but that's stupid. People are allowed to interpret characters however they want! That's the beauty of fandom.

It's kind of funny for a fandom about a show that celebrates love, forgiveness, and people's unique perspectives, the fandom is pretty rigid and hateful.

• Like x 6
  16. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

She was like "Rose Quartz is bisexual, leave me a lesbian" and I was like NONE OF THESE CHARACTERS HAVE CANON ORIENTATIONS but hey. :P I have no objection to the headcanon, I just have kinda given up on this fandom outside of Kintsugi and IRL friend groups

• Like x 4
  17. liminal

what about... any of the other gems... ? if the only gem that is shown on screen to like men is Rose, then why can't literally any other gem be interpreted as a lesbian?

Ruby and Sapphire are commonly interpreted as lesbians and The Answer deals with a lot of themes that are easily interpreted as a metaphor for growing up gay/homophobia.

• Like x 7
  18. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I like the notion that someone in some other corner of the sandbox puttering around doodling Pearl kissing dudes is somehow taking something away from anybody. Certainly isn't erasing the canon Pearl being mega gay for Rose. Or any of the ten billion other people drawing Pearl kissing girls in fandom. Or hell the individual in question's version of Pearl. It's like, calm down comrade. You got yours, let the others have their fun.

• Like x 9
  19. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Metaphors don't gotta be for one thing and one thing alone. So, no. Ain't bad at all, dude.

• Like x 4
  20. liminal

This. Is. Awesome.
    (If you don't want to watch the video here is the comic
    and if these things confuse the heck out of you there is a plot map)

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice