Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I feel very much the same, but more in regards to Amethyst.

Here we have a character who's one of the bigger sources of humor in the show, who also happens to be fat...and whose weight is never used as a punchline. Her appetite is only used as a joke because of how bizarre it gets--it's not "this character eats a lot, let's point and laugh," it's "holy shit this character seems to think engine oil is a good sandwich topping"--and her just being fat is never used as a joke. And she's never portrayed as ugly for it! She's still shown as cute and fun and lovable and a great friend, and while she's definitely flawed, not a single one of those flaws relates to her appearance.

I just think it's great that we have a character who often serves as comic relief whose weight is never used as a source of comedy (or a source of drama, for that matter).

• Like x 14
  2. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

definitely, and the fact that we can have both of them plus more is what makes this show one of my All Time Faves. rose quartz is more important to me personally just because i have her almost exact body type (tho i'm a biiit shorter than 8ft tall) and she's portrayed exclusively as elegant, desirable, feminine, and powerful, which means a lot to my own personal body image issues. but it's so rare that we get any fat characters, ones who are not comic relief because "look at how fat and manly she is," and even rarer that we get more than one.

like i just counted and there's six fat characters, and at least four of them are important main characters (steven, rose, amethyst and greg). six!!!! that never happens!!

this show spoils us guys

• Like x 6
  3. Acey

And one of the fat side characters (Sadie) is shown as one of the most "desirable" (for lack of a less squicky term) young adults in Beach City, judging by Lars and Ronaldo fighting over her...and again, is badass and adorable and a good person.

• Like x 10
  4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter literally Eevee

I am in love with Sadie
    she's so cute and perfect and I would date her and I want her to be real please let her be real and also gay

• Like x 9
  5. Acey

Imagine the following: Steven telling the Cool Kids about how awesome Sadie is. The Cool Kids invite her to hang out one day, and she accepts, and she and Jenny really hit it off.

Like, really hit it off, if you get what I'm sayin'.

#lars is jelly on every conceivable level

• Like x 15
  6. chaoticArbiter

......ship ship ship ship ship
    and then they kiss
    I ship Jenny and the other Cool Kids in a poly relationship, so when Jenny and Sadie hit it off, Jenny talks to her other partners and they're like "go for it" and so she and Sadie start dating and it's wonderful

• Like x 8
  7. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

@chaoticArbiter i totally ship poly Cool Kids too, with a side of Buck/Lars but yes i think there is room for Sadie/Jenny there too, why did i never think of this before

• Like x 7
  8. chaoticArbiter

oooh, why did I never consider Buck/Lars
    this is good I like this
    and then also Lars is poly because I need Lars/Ronaldo in my life

• Like x 7
  9. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

and then someone can make a sadie/jenny (jendie? senny?) amv to this song

• Like x 11
  10. chaoticArbiter

YES

• Like x 1
  11. Acey

CN just called Ruby and Sapphire "besties" on Tumblr and I am so confused??

• Like x 2
  12. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

best gal pals, ya know?
    just gals being pals.

• Like x 5
  13. Acey

I'm just confused because their Instagram outright acknowledged them as a couple back in February?

14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Somebody else there missed a few hundred memos, or is being a contrary jerk, or is fishing for fandom controversy...

• Like x 3
  15. emythos

all three?

• Like x 3
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Could very well be.

I'm excite because, as a mid May baby, it's like this is going to be a birthday present. *^*

• Like x 4
  17. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

I mean SOs can be each others besties as well, but yeah that's just looking for an argument in the fandom

• Like x 4
  18. Imoyram

What's a feels good, not very plot heavy episode?
    I want to watch happ Steven universe, without drama or too much thinking

19. emythos

stevonnie episode?

20. Imoyram

I can't do it cause it has like, embarrassment in it?
    Social embarrassment is a big nope for me, after the first watch, even during the first watch.

(Social embarrassment being like, dipper being awkward in front of Wendy and embarrassing himself, even if he doesn't get picked on for it ETA: sitcom humor, people fling dumb/embarrassing things because it's funny to watch for the viewers, etc)

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice