Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

So this is a bit of an odd question, but is there any word on the official texture of the Gems' forms? As in, do their projected bodies actually feel like/are largely composed of those of their Gem (barring the clothes obviously)?

Do they feel, like, marble-y or rocky or something?

• Like x 4
  2. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I personally always headcanoned them as feeling smooth and cool to the touch, but not necessarily rough or hard - like cool silk or well-polished marble. Some gems might be a little warmer than others - I know from experience that pearls retain room-temperature better than amethysts or garnets, for example.

• Like x 9
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

[​IMG]
    (source)

• Like x 13
  4. PotteryWalrus

So I just rewatched 'Message Received' and I think I've pinpointed a few things that bother me about Yellow Diamond's design, that seems... off, compared to the other Gems.

-There are some parts of her that seem way out of proportion - too long or too short - for her frame. Her neck is the main one that stands out - she kind of looks like a gem and a giraffe had a baby and it was awkward on everyone's part. Her eyes seem wrong as well - not the pupils, even though I think she's the first Gem we've seen with noticably non-organic-like pupils, if that makes any sense - maybe the eyeliner and eyebrows? Usually if a Gem has a secondary colour, there's accents elsewhere, not just black on her eye 'makeup' and no-where else.

- Maybe it's just that she's the only gem - besides Blue D, of course, - that we've seen clearly of that size in their own right, without being a fusion, but something about her height raises the hairs on the back of my neck. It could just be Yellow Pearl's flinching and cringeing, but idk.

For a Gem that's supposed to be 'flawless' (and you can probs take that literally, besides Peridot's intial hero-worship of her) she sure doesn't do looking human very well. Maybe that's it - most of the Gems we see are either mostly humanoid with a few differences remarkable enough that they don't hit Uncanny Valley, but YD checks off the basics - two arms, two legs, two eyes that we can see - without actually needing to fill out the full details. She's... not human.

And doesn't look it.

• Like x 14
  5. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

You know, considering how it seems that more inhuman forms seem to be linked to instability or distress or possibly being linked to becoming a monster - maybe YD''s design is meant to show she is under stress and on the way to a breaking point?

• Like x 11
  6. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Ooh, I like this.

Also, not sure if I've linked to this before, but I made a good post about Hit The Diamond. Very serious and quality and not at ALL a shitty meme.

(Also, apparently the Ruby Squad has nicknames! LEGGY IS MY CHILD OKAY.)

• Like x 4
  7. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter literally Eevee

• Like x 5
  8. Inkblot

Inkblot I'M GOING TO THE LOST CAUSE PIT, MA

EYEBALL IS MY WIFE AND IT WAS A SPRING WEDDING

• Like x 4
  9. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

sooooo is anyone else getting antsy waiting to hear about the details of the "summer of steven" event?

• Like x 5
  10. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

NOT A CHANCE, BUD, I WILL FIGHT, or yunno not.

• Like x 2
  11. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

we can ALLLLLLL marry the rubies
    everyone

• Like x 2
  12. chaoticArbiter

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Like x 5
  13. Hatianidiot

Hatianidiot New Member

Loving the fact that Yellow Diamond probably doesn't care about Peridot anymore.

The opposite of love is apathy indeed.

• Like x 7
  14. Nova_Scotia

Nova_Scotia Member

hello there

• Like x 2
  15. PotteryWalrus

Is it bees you're looking for

• Like x 6
  16. Nova_Scotia

Nova_Scotia Member

• Like x 3
  17. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Hi! Who are your favorite gems? I lean pretty hard on Lapis, Jasper, and Garnet myself, but ngl the entire Blue Diamond court aesthetic is My Thing.

• Like x 4
  18. Nova_Scotia

Nova_Scotia Member

the crystal gems and jasper id have to say

• Like x 6
  19. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

you get one guess who my favorite gem is.

• Like x 5
  20. chaoticArbiter

is it Lapis
    (kidding)

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice