Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

yes i agree she's not a fusion, i just thought i'd mention it because it is a theory i've seen before. i like to give most things a fair chance at consideration, no matter how crack pot a theory it is. it's more fun that way.

2. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Hm, in that case though it wouldn't have been necessary to use such a similar helmet, because a lot of people are going to see that and think 'Jasper'. If it was just to cover the gem's face with shadow then they could have used a different design. I was sort of thinking the reason the enemy is so big there is because the flashback is being narrated by Pearl and she's being unreliable, possibly because it seemed like the enemy was that big to her. Besides, in the bit where it shows the enemy facing off with Rose, aren't they similar heights? I am probably remembering that wrong though ^^'

3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

No, they're not the same height. The blade of the axe is bigger than Pearl, so the Gem herself must be much bigger than Rose. Also, the helmets don't look that similar? I mean, they both have visors, but a lot of the details are different (the not-Jasper one has spiky bits on the side, Jasper's doesn't, that kind of thing.) I mean, a helmet is a pretty straightforward design.

4. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Huh, did not notice the spikes. I'll look for them when I rewatch the episode again.

5. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Fingolfin's followers are the ones that arrived late to the Kinslaying yes. However Finarfin lead a group that came with Fingolfin too. Part of Finarfin's group returned to the city with him, either because they didn't want to leave his side or because after they saw what the Feanorians did they just couldn't bear to go on. Most of Finarfin's children went though. Then came the whole crossing the Helcaraxe incident for the ones who chose to leave like you know.

And Jasper and Peridot as a Feanorian fits. Because if there was any group of Elves seemingly hellbent on causing problems it was definitely them.

6. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I thought the Jasper-aspects were a projection of Pearl's based more on Jasper being the most recently seen homeworld gem she's had to brawl with. It makes sense to me that Jasper's style would be fresh on Pearl's mind, but I dunno.

And I think the prevailing theory about why, assuming Jasper is a fusion, there are only two gems that go into making Malachite is that her second gem is located on her back in the exact same spot as Lapis's. Which is flimsy as hell as far as justifications go. The other one I've seen is that her gems make up two halves of her nose. like the orangey and red parts being different gems entirely. I think this particular theory is dying down a bit lately, cause it doesn't really make sense given how Garnet was set up.

7. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Yeah, that makes sense- and also I agree with whoever said it could have just been another Jasper: maybe each gem type has a type of weapon that they usually have, and it's somewhat different gem to gem. Like, maybe all Jaspers typically have helmets, that sort of thing.

I think the whole fusion thing is pretty flimsy, but the one thing that does stick out to me is that all 3+ gem fusions(Sugilite, Alexandrite) have been the ones to end in -item while 2 gem fusions have had other names(Opal, Garnet) and Malachite is the outlier. Probably means nothing, but I did think that was an interesting point.

8. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

I don't think "Jasper is a fusion" makes any sense because Jasper thought Garnet's constantly fused state was some kind of embarrassment/abomination. Jasper made it abundantly clear how much she disliked fusions and how it's "cheap". So I don't think her pride would allow her to fuse 95% of the time. Except with Lapis in that one situation, because her need to "win" over comes any other personality trait she may have.

• Like x 2
  9. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Oh, I remembered another semi-popular Jasper is a fusion theory; some people like to say that her multiple colors, large size, and the fact that jasper is a composite of several different minerals means that she could be some sort of frankengem, cobbled together out of a variety of gem fragments. Which is a cool idea! But, yeah, unlikely.

10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

well I mean that COULD also be frantic redirection attempts turned routine.
    'HAHA what? no I'm not a fusion I'd NEVER fuse, it's CHEAP and TACKY!!!!!!!!!!!' repeat that for a few thousand years and you will probably end up at Jasper's genuine sounding disdain for Garnet's fusion status.

But then, we don't even know if 'fused' gemtypes like Garnet or Opal can occur 'naturally' (aka as unfused gems) or if they are only ever the result of fusions. Or how exactly Gems reproduce. If there is any genetic recombination going on or not or...???
    And we do not technically know the social function of Gem Fusing.
    For all we know the Crystal Gems could be the Gem equivalent of a kinky poly hippie commune with their readiness to fuse with each of the others.
    All we know is that some gems are taller and buffer than others right now the only one we are SURE is a constant fusion is Garnet, who is the tallest of the crystal gems (except for Rose of course, who is not a fusion)

• Like x 1
  11. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Yup, that's what I was thinking but couldn't put into words about Jasper's apparent disdain for fusions. c:

And idk- Im wondering how Jasper immediately knew Garnet was a fusion, since her gems were covered by her gauntlets. Maybe it's that all Garnets are fusions, maybe her gauntlets give it away, or maybe she even remembers garnet from the war, who knows. Whatever the case, I kind of get the feeling that fusing may have originally been more acceptable than it apparently is now.
    Actually, speaking of that I just had a thought: maybe a lot of the gems on the battlefield were fusions, hence the ridiculously large weapons. But fusion means half or less of the number of possible fighters unfused, and since the Homeworld apparently has an empire spanning multiple planets or possibly even galaxies, that's really disadvantageous. So maybe the kindergartens were created to create single gems with strength comparable to that of fusions. And going with the idea that Jasper is from the kindergarten, that could absolutely be why she looks down on fusions, because she was created to be that strong on her own, and thus thinks she's better.

I'd really like to learn how gems were naturally produced, since we know that the kindergarten wasn't and was similar to how viruses reproduce through the lytic cycle.

• Like x 2
  12. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Iiiiiiits Steven time :D

(More like time to cry over the new ep. I'm sure)

13. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I was about to say "That's super late for a kid's cartoon it's midnight :O'
    Timezones, Ivy. Timezones.

14. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@IvyLB thanks! :D (you answered my question earlier.)

15. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Haha it's 5:15pm here.

I forgot today was the Ronaldo episode, which tend to not really interest me. At least this ep. didn't make me cringe from secondhand embarrassment like sometimes.

16. liminal

I forgot to watch the new episode again. I'm used to the shows I like being on ~7:00 EST, not 6:00
    I am mad, but I guess I can wait a few hours for it to be uploaded :(

17. liminal

I hate ads and stuff but I would totally watch SU on the cartoon network website if they did something like upload it on their official site and keep it up for like... a week or something. Like on demand, but online.

• Like x 1
  18. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

@liminal there is an app you can get called something like Watch Cartoon Network, and I believe they have all the Steven episodes. Probably not the most recent one yet, but idk.

19. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Oh, rewatching Sworn to the Sword, I noticed something: in the big fight with multiple holopearls, they were using real swords, and not the one the holograms come equipped with. Thoughts about why that might be?

20. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

That app has episodes up really quickly actually! I watched Sworn to the Sword on it last night, maybe 3-4 hours after the broadcast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice