Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

true, but it's possible for Rose to love Pearl non-romantically.
    also, am I the only one who heard Rose in the "you really do" line...?

• Like x 1
  2. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

NO NO NO NO NO JASPER NO OH MY GOD DON'T GO DOWN THIS ROAD DUDE IT GOT SO MUCH WORSE

• Like x 2
  3. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

Is it you that are a dumb, or me that are a dumb, easily distracted from potential character development and plot progression by low voices and muscles

• Like x 2
  4. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Holy shit Jasper is hot

• Like x 14
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

This. Though I do think Pearl probably put a lot more stock into the relationship than Rose did.

• Like x 3
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Re: that line: Yeah, I know it's speaking for Rose too, but I was interpreting it in different ways re: her than "in love with both of you."

• Like x 2
  7. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Oh no, do not mistake my interest in Jasper for a purely intellectual one. My deal is, plot and character be damned, I will never be satisfied till Jasper cries fat Ghibli tears. or does the Ghibli "I just touched something really unpleasant" full body shiver and hair poof. One or the other.
    She's just. Too perfect for it. Her hair and her stripes and her BIG.

• Like x 12
  8. leitstern

WRT Pearl/Rose, I've always felt that they loved each other, but still managed to not quite... understand each other, I suppose. You can love and be loved by a person and still not quite manage to feel the same way, or not be going for exactly the same sort of relationship, or just manage to be different enough people that the pieces don't fit together. Rose, bless her, is low on empathy, I always felt that she loved Pearl, loved Greg, and loved those other humans, and loved her gems, but never managed to feel what they feel despite that. I think she was bursting at the beautiful seams with the general love and compassion for all things but didn't often understand them, on an individual level, and didn't get as personally involved and invested in individual ones as most do. So she did love Pearl, at least to me, but she's not the sort that runs out of love to have for other people. The natural consequence of loving widely is that you don't always love deeply, especially if you refuse to pick a certain individual to invest fear and dreams and secret thoughts to. You don't invest your whole life and personhood in one other person, which has pros and cons.

...Like she eventually did with Greg, which is where the whoops started coming in.

I don't think I phrased that well, but I really think Rose and Pearl loved each other, but Pearl either loved Rose more deeply, or desperately, or differently somehow, than Rose loved Pearl, so there was misunderstanding and a gap between them despite love also being there. A lot of this is polyamorous feels because I have noticed that people really do experience love a little differently, or can feel different things that all feel like romantic love.... anyway maybe I'm just making excuses for OTP >u< Or maybe I just have too much faith in Rose, but I can't see the Gem who showed up in Lion 3: Straight to Video meaning anything but well, even if she didn't always know how to express it. I think she thought she and Pearl had a relationship that didn't disrupt or negate the relationship she had with Greg, and both of those relationships were loving in different ways, but when she REALLY fell in love with Greg, in a human way she might not have felt before, lines had to be redrawn and ??? happened which I'm not willing to call yet.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    • Like x 16
  9. leitstern

Oh. The poof. Just imagine the poof. Can she GET more poof? Now I must know

• Like x 6
  10. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I mean, you'd have to punch her really hard. </more bad jokes>

• Like x 15
  11. leitstern

Goddammit, Acey

• Like x 4
  12. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

You realize I am now picturing a rather strange hybrid of Rose Quartz and Carrot Ironfoundersson.

• Like x 7
  13. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

OH GOD YES PLEASE DO GO DOWN THIS ROAD HOLY SHIT
    image.png HELL
    image.png
    FUCKING
    image.png
    YES

• Like x 11
  14. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

I mean to be fair, I would be pretty scared too if some rando burst out of the snow and started attacking me.

but yeah I think she is going to try fusing with the corrupted gems, but I also kind of think that the corrupted gems are a little more sentient than people give them credit for? I don't think they are 100% animals I think they just have strong fight/flight reflexes and can't really communicate. So it's maybe possible that they could have a consensual fusion if they all were on the same page and wanted the same goal? The crystal gems just never wanted to try that because oh god no why would anyone want to try that.

but I think the entire part about "half corruption" is some major foreshadowing, like Jasper is going to break out of that fusion "half corrupted" where she keeps switching back and forth between monster and humanoid form and Steven heals her.

Honestly if she has no deeper motive than "yaay power!!" I'm going to be incredibly bored. Give me the tragic backstory where she, I dunno, loses her fusion partner Jaspers in the war or something that puts everything in new, sad, and horrifying context. If she's just going to be a "muahahaha I love power!" villain with no subversions or deconstructions I am going to be really bored.

If she doesn't get a redemption arc I'm going to be bored and disappointed.

still, I feel like the writing with her has been kind of... lazy lately? Too convenient. Like after falling in the crack she just happens to show up again in the ocean and out of the entire ocean she just happens to find the boat Lapis is on and Lapis just happens to punch her all the way to The Great North where there are corrupted Jaspers. and if the promos are any indication she and the corrupted Jaspers just decided to stroll through the damn ocean and go to exactly where the Gem Temple is.

• Like x 10
  15. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

It is a bit convenient, yeh. Jaspers are gem psychics, confirmed. They're tuned in to the writers' skullmeats.

• Like x 6
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Can sniff out plot significant locations

• Like x 8
  17. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

...Though

Jasper didn't necessarily need to get punched to the North/walk up there. Connie, Steven, and Pearl warped in; Jasper could've just made her way to someplace with a warp pad and warped there for... some reason. Maybe she's just going through warp pads hunting monsters to get Gems from.

• Like x 8
  18. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

Yes to the warp pad thing, and also, she didn't necessarily actually show up at the boat, cf. the "Lapis was projecting" theory.

• Like x 1
  19. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

the part of me that likes Jasper: jasper no

the part of me that likes dumpster fires: JASPER YES

• Like x 15
  20. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

i initially had a theory for why jasper would show off the gems to steven. she sees him as rose, right? if those gems were crystal gems, she would be rubbing it in his face that she has his soldiers.

but i don't think they're crystal gems.

for one, they're quartzes. and from what we've seen of the gems so far, it was generally lower-level gem soldiers who defected. (excluding rose.)

for another, the seafoam one at least got super agitated when connie flashed rose's sword. i think they're homeworld gems.

so this doesn't explain what jasper wants with them or why she would show them off to steven.

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice