Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I mean, I'm pretty sure Bismuth would've seen Lapis and gone "THE HOMEWORLD GEM" and tried to kill her. plus, she punched Lapis in the gem. if that's not a sign of attempted shattering, I dunno what is.

• Like x 6
  2. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

yeah, yeah pretty much.

• Like x 3
  3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I don't think Bismuth is crazy. I think she's just desperate and angry and was in a war.

• Like x 13
  4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

uh.
    did you miss the part where Homeworld is also responsible for the corruption of multiple gems?
    imo, that's kind of....at least as bad as killing them.

• Like x 4
  5. emythos

i'm sorta using crazy as shorthand for that because I am bad at words rn. sorry

• Like x 1
  6. Petra

Petra space case

Yeah, agreed. Not to mention the gem experiments.

• Like x 4
  7. Verzi

Verzi Member

I think it's a fair point that the larger, more masculine gems have been shown as such, and that should be addressed, but I feel that reducing both Jasper and Bismuth to the singular notion of being "aggressive and violent" doesn't do their characterizations justice. They just happen to be traits that they share. Bismuth had so many positive traits, many that Jasper lacks herself, and throwing out their respective character contexts seems unfair to me.

But yes, the black-coded point that people are bringing up, as a black person myself, does not feel to be the case to me. It feels like those who argue that point ignore all the other characters who are black/black-coded who are not aggressive/powerful while ALSO, like mentioned above, reducing them down to only a couple traits that they just happen to have in common...

• Like x 11
  8. Petra

Petra space case

I'll also note that Jasper is the sort of person Rose was supposed to be. She's someone who's bought entirely into the myth that because she was designed to fight, fighting is her only worth. This is why she's getting increasingly desperate and off-the-rails, this was the allure of being the much stronger Malachite, etc. Jasper is a victim of the system Rose could see as a prison but Jasper might not be able to yet. It doesn't justify what she's doing morally, but it sure helps explain it?

• Like x 10
  9. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Part of why I want Bismuth to unbubble soon (and why I think she will, in the future, be part of the cast) is because she has a lot of positive traits and would be a pretty fresh source on the old war from the Gems side. She and Jasper are pretty different characters in a lot of ways but I think that the traits they do share being mostly focused around violence and being power-hungry is sort of. Idk. It's late and the words aren't happening as much.

I mostly avoided being spoiled going into it, so when I saw Bismuth at first and she was big and boisterous and loud without being particularly powermad, I got excited. And then it started dropping hints, and near the end there I was pretty :| at yet another Lorge Beefy Babe having an ending arc about losing herself to power/the urge to violence.

It's not that I think those aspects are singular to Bismuth/Jasper/Sugilite. But I do think that there's a trend of having those characters being The Lesson About Power And Violence that's sort of. Unnerving to me?

I want Bismuth to come back and have an arc that doesn't revolve around power, the corrupting influence thereof, and the allure of violence for righteous reasons. In a perfect world I'd also like to have Sugilite come back and throw down some sick beats, but I have no idea if Nicki's available for that rn.

• Like x 12
  10. emythos

I also want everyone to get songs
    just saying
    everyone sing pls

• Like x 7
  11. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I mean

I don't even see Bismuth as powermad or power-corrupted. Just vengeful.

• Like x 17
  12. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I came back from Plurk to post this, that a friend of a friend made:

[​IMG]

• Like x 27
  13. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

norm the genie created bismuth

• Like x 5
  14. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Not spoilers for anything that recent: Garnet's "I think you're just mad cuz you're single" line in Stronger Than You was prescient, huh?

• Like x 19
  15. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

future vision

• Like x 5
  16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

The fact that Garnet is literally also prescient did not occur to me until after I'd typed it, lol.

• Like x 9
  17. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

i want to marry this headcanon (spoilers for today's ep) and figured y'all would feel the same

• Like x 11
  18. Petra

Petra space case

I am p sure that's also where her playing with swords comment comes from. And then she realizes she's a) in the wrong time and b) that's an awkward thing to say.

• Like x 7
  19. emythos

yes
    YES IMPORTANT

• Like x 3
  20. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Meanwhile, I always figured it was her Ruby half shining through, at least after Hit The Diamond.

We know Ruby SUCKS at lying convincingly, after all...

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice