Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Verzi

Verzi Member

I'm rooting for a quick unbubbling too for those same reasons. I was disappointed that we got this ending, because i really want her to be a regular, especially since we were "aware" of her existence for so long, but damn, i still did enjoy the ride this episode gave me!

Though, despite the fact Jasper and Bismuth share a "power" theme, and it think it's worth noting that Jasper is the only one that comes off as "power hungry," at least to me. Bismuth, HAS the power, her flaw comes from how she wants to use it. The power is the means to her end, while with Jasper, at least at this point, Power itself is her end.

• Like x 11
  2. Petra

Petra space case

Can I say I unironically love how Bismuth's response to 'what would you like to make' was apparently 'weapons'. Nothing wrong with weaponsmithing! But it's kinda great, and also... kinda showing how their war shaped them, I think?

• Like x 13
  3. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

I like Bismuth. I hope she comes back and she and Steven come to an understanding.

I don't think using the Breaking Point would have made the CG's as bad as Homeworld. Homeworld uses weapons of mass destruction, practices slavery, and commits genocide. That doesn't mean the Breaking Point wouldn't be bad. "Not as bad as Homeworld" is not a very high bar to clear. I was actually pretty surprised to learn that the CG's apparently had a no-kill policy. If they really managed to win Earth without killing anyone, that's admirable.

I think others have commented on this, but I don't understand how the Breaking Point would have turned the tide of the war for Earth in the CGs' favor. It would have replaced weapons that are mostly used to incapacitate (and possibly capture) one opponent at a time in melee combat with a weapon that kills one opponent at a time in melee combat. I don't see how it would have made the CG's a more effective fighting force. I guess killing Homeworld gems as opposed to just poofing them and leaving them would reduce the enemy's numbers, but they have bubbling for that. Since bubbled gems take up little space and need no resources, keeping prisoners indefinitely is a viable strategy (although it's a little ethically dubious itself).

If they were going to take the fight to Homeworld and kill/overthrow the Diamonds, as it sounded like Bismuth ultimately wanted to do, I'm not sure the Breaking Point would make enough of a difference. Invading Homeworld doesn't really seem feasible for the CG's at this point.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Like x 10
  4. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Yeah! That she didn't decide to build fortresses or bases, she went to weapons, was interesting. And I'd like to know how that happened, at first. I mean it seems like she was the only weaponsmith Bismuth. Did material weapons get made on Homeworld?

• Like x 8
  5. Petra

Petra space case

I really think Bismuth is going to come back soon. She's not corrupted, there's nothing to 'heal', she needs to be let out and talked to, not bubbled forever. But I think the other CGs probably need a little bit to come to terms with this before talking to her.

• Like x 10
  6. Charl

Charl Well-Known Member

What I'm really curious about at this point: the Crystal Gem recruiting process. We know they had an army. I want to see how they brought gems over to their side. Recruiting bubbled prisoners? If so, it seems strange that Bismuth would want a more lethal measure than capture. She would have seen enemies become friends firsthand. Was there a large gem population on Earth to turn it into a Gem colony, large enough to build even a ragtag resistance army out of without building it significantly out of captured and converted soldiers? What was THAT era like?

• Like x 9
  7. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

I can see Homeworld looking down on material weapons for one-on-one combat at least - gems who aren't supposed to fight don't need weapons, gems who do fight already have their gem weapon. The gem form destabiliser thing we saw might suggest this isn't the case, but I think that might have been employed because it was just better than gem weapons.

• Like x 5
  8. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I wonder if Steven could fix a shattered gem with his healing spit.
    I wonder whether the resulting gem would remember anything..

• Like x 6
  9. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

:o
    that would be SO COOL.

• Like x 2
  10. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

I THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO BE NICE

• Like x 4
  11. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

It'd be interesting to see if he could fix some of the gem minsters by assembling the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle

• Like x 6
  12. Charl

Charl Well-Known Member

Steven
    is going to need new shoes.

• Like x 8
  13. i don't even watch su- blame @Petra for the hot rainbow lady sketch

Attached Files:

• Like x 15
  14. Petra

Petra space case

Okay, person on tumblr. I laughed.

• Like x 20
  15. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

I really do hope Bismuth comes back, and soon, because I am curious to see how she'd respond to everything that's happened since the rebellion's heyday. I mean, even discounting the fact that the war was on hold and is just starting up again, we still have a planet of corrupted gems from both sides, as well as the rise of those small spear-carrying meat-people who now are a massive civilization (I mean, she was alright with Steven, but even then she was on the fence on if he was Rose or not and really believed he was just a reformed Rose in the end, how would she react to a non-gem human being entirely?), and the addition of Peridot and Lapis. There's former Homeworld supporters part of their company, one who openly turned traitor and called a diamond a slur to her face! And the one someone she attempted to kill by hand, who as a result got put through a trauma conga line and is bitter as fuck!

I want to see her come back and adapt. I really want her to be okay, but not before like two or three flip outs because the world has changed, and Rose denied her the chance to see this. But at the same time, if she did follow through with her plan, she would have missed it as well, at least in regards to things like Peridot and Lapis.

And hell, what about the Cluster? Will that be something she'd see as proof they should have used the Breaking Point? Or would that make her push away from the concept entirely, seeing the Homeworld taking that concept and the concept of fusion, and turning it into a massive and nightmarish insult that's only starting to heal?

On a more joking level, I kind of want her to come back and Jasper to join the team, only for Mrs. Maheswaran and/or Greg to find out that Steven is effectively the therapist for all of these crazy rock women and force the whole lot to psych appointments. Stevenbomb 2017, AKA 'In Treatment: Beach City'.

• Like x 21
  16. Petra

Petra space case

Gonna dump a bunch of fanart of Bismuth, with links to sources.

• Like x 18
  17. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

It's Always Sunny In Beach City

Edit: I mean, let's be honest, Amethyst would get along with the Gang perfectly.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Like x 6
  18. blue

blue hightown funk you up

@Petra 0:
    is bismuth crushing steven in that last one?? yikes -

wait oh my god if you broke his gem there would still be a body huh. yikes.

• Like x 6
  19. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

See, that's why you gotta go for one of those compressors they've got at junkyards

• Like x 8
  20. blue

blue hightown funk you up

HOLY SHIT DUDE (LMAO)

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice