Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Muffled screaming about lapis in the background

• Like x 3
  2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

when i say spoilers i mean it.

does anyone have any theories about yellow diamond? i'm very interested to hear them! what did you think about jasper's comments on pearl? i know the garnet thing was referencing that she's a fusion, and the amethyst thing is because of kindergarten, but when she looked at pearl she said "a lost and defective pearl". the "a" implying that there are many pearls? and i wonder if the "lost and defective" part wasn't just a dig at pearl but a genuine observation from gem societal viewpoints? is pearl the gem version of neurodivergent? cause that would be hella awesome, to me.

as far as jailbreak goes, holy carp ruby and sapphire are SO CUTE. where do you think peridot ended up? we see her landing on earth somewhere as the ship is crashing. one of the authors said we won't be seeing lapis again (sob) but they didn't say anything about jasper. what sort of impact do you think she might have now that she has no way of reaching the homeworld for now?

OTP OTP OTP FUUUUUUUUMIYHGFYIRC.png
    eeeeeeeeeeee! look. look at them i love everything about this so much. this whole episode took all kinds of overused and incorrect tropes about how all girls are princesses in need of saving and boys must be the knights that have to protect them and completely obliterated both stereotypes. i love it.

• Like x 1
  3. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

i still need to watch this show, but from what i hear it really "rocks"

• Like x 4
  4. Petra

Petra space case

I think there's three diamonds, White Diamond, Yellow Diamond, and Blue Diamond. This is drawn both from the 'triforce' on the floor where Garnet and Jasper fought, and from the temple wall in Serious Steven, where three gems with a triangle on their chest can be seen in prominent positions. The blue one is fighting Rose, the white one is standing there while... I interpreted it as hands of adulation are praising her, but she could just as easily be wiping out a crowd. Either way, a powerful position. It could also be hands grabbing for her, but she doesn't look distressed? And you catch just a glimpse of the yellow one to the right of the main scene of Rose fighting Blue Diamond(???).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    • Like x 3
  5. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I'm thinking Galena (lead sulfide) for Zimmy. Of course, lead already has associations elsewhere in GC, so maybe not. Kat and Gamma make more sense as human to me.
    I dunno if I want Rey as a gem, but if so I'm definitely going Cinnabar (mercury sulfide).
    Jeanne might be a corrupted gem?

I don't know that it's even that she has trouble showing emotions (except with regards to Rose and the gems' past, but that's hardly unique to her) it's that it's really understated. I've some good meta to the effect that Garnet generally uses the fewest possible words to say what she wants to say, and a lot of what she says is in how she says it. She's also got a lot of affectionate body language to Steven and the other gems, right from the beginning.

I can definitely see how she could come off as emotionless to people who aren't good at reading for tone and body language, though.

• Like x 2
  6. Wiwaxia

There's still two panels to that mural we can't really see from that angle, though.

• Like x 2
  7. Petra

Petra space case

That's true! I was just wondering what they'd show. There might be more than three Diamonds, but I'm banking on at least three, and them being shown in the mural.

• Like x 1
  8. Petra

Petra space case

Also
    It would be interesting if each Diamond lead different factions like different countries on the Homeworld. Pure speculation, but it would be really interesting.

• Like x 1
  9. Starcrossedsky

The bit about lapis is a fake tweet, fyi.

Seriously why does anyone think she's not coming back? When Steven is known to make Bad Decisions and has a bubble which is known capable of letting him walk on the ocean floor?

It's really more a matter of "will Steven, prioritizing SAVE LAPIS, or Mom ³, prioritizing PERIDOT IS STILL RUNNING AROUND LOOSE, act first?"

• Like x 3
  10. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

Pearl theory(and correct me if I have any facts wrong): I don't recall Pearl ever transforming. It is an established thing that Gems can do, but I suspect she can't. If I remember correctly, Steven even asks her why she doesn't transform(I think she responds with some sort of "it's dangerous" or "it's undignified" or something). She definately gets on Amethyst's case about transorming all the time so it could very well just be one more point of conflict for them because of it.

As far as the "lost" part, there is a thing called a "Black Pearl"(has anyone else played Legend of Mana?) that she may have been a part of or lost or something along those lines. There seems to be an insinuation in "rose's scabbard" that Pearl was alone and that Rose was the only person important to her. I could be reading into things, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like x 1
  11. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

• Like x 1
  12. Petra

Petra space case

I sure as hell hope there are multiples of each gem, since I've got an Amethyst fangem.

I'm pretty sure the black figures in the murals are humans, though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  13. Starcrossedsky

Observation: Pearl's gem in Steven the Sword-Fighter is much larger, in volume, than the other gems we've seen (notably Lapis' and the ones in Jailbreak), all of which are faceted/rounded on one side and flat on the other; Pearl's gem has a huge volume and is nearby spherical, meaning that a bunch of it is inside her head and hidden from the eye.

What does this mean? No idea! But something that might be worth pondering at a future point, maybe.

• Like x 1
  14. Wiwaxia

Kinda like the Centipeedle, actually.
    (I can't wait for the Centipeedle to get healed and become a regular character)

• Like x 1
  15. Starcrossedsky

A lot of the Monster Gems have significantly more volume as a rule, really.

#and then there's Bismuth #who the fuck is Bismuth

• Like x 3
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

oh good, i've never been more happy to be wrong.

17. cantankerousAquarius

cantankerousAquarius Acrasial Macrology

WAIT SO LAPIS IS COMING BACK

18. Petra

Petra space case

Of course she's coming back. There's too much set-up for her and Jasper not to come back, IMO.

19. cantankerousAquarius

cantankerousAquarius Acrasial Macrology

//absolute glee

• Like x 1
  20. Petra

Petra space case

If she doesn't come back I'll be so disappointed. She's definitely one of my favorite characters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice