Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 10.08.32 PM.png

• Like x 8
  2. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

additionally: even if she tricked them into seeing something that wasn't really happening--what did she do after, shapeshift forever? Pink Diamond and Rose Quartz look radically different, according to the mural we saw, and I'm pretty sure if Rose was Pink Diamond, someone in her forces would've recognized her if she didn't shapeshift forever, and holding a shape forever is, as far as we're aware, impossible. additionally, most of the Quartzes we've seen so far--with the exception of Jasper--have a similar gem shape. Rose has that gem shape.
    I'm sorry, I just don't see how she can possibly be Pink Diamond.

• Like x 3
  3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I'm pretty sure my spoilered theory is an airtight defense.

• Like x 2
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i also agree that she's not pd but wrt the shapeshift thing, maaaybe if she saw herself as a new gem, one to lead a revolution, she could've reformed as a different shape? we don't know the limits of reforming (although i suppose if it were that easy a faulty gem could just make their light form look normal) and if psychologically she saw herself as a new person she could hypothetically drastically change her shape.

edit: i realize i'm reaching here i just thought it could be something interesting to play with

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    • Like x 2
  5. chaoticArbiter

meet Brass Pearl.
    can she and your pearl be friends
    [​IMG]

• Like x 3
  6. chaoticArbiter

I mean it could be interesting to play with, but I doubt it's actually possible? I don't think their forms are based on how they see themselves psychologically.

7. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

The more bitey Pearls I see, the more I'm just thinking of a circle of Quartzs, Sapphires, and Cubic Zirconias (because that seems like a good equivalent to a low-ranking noble-type, an obvious "not Diamond but close enough") with a gaggle of specifically bred Bitey Pearls. Like the rough equivalent to a small dog breeder club, if pugs were sapient beings who could only show their general distaste in existence via cutely nipping people their owners don't like.

• Like x 17
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

you're right, it's probably more than that, i just wonder sometimes with the occasions where clothing reforms around where they're poofed. i'd also maybe equivocate it to controlled corruption. i kinda wanna make an oc around this idea now, i don't think it could actually apply to rose.

9. chaoticArbiter

hmmm. I always kind of assumed that was a conscious choice? shrugs. in any case, an OC around it would be pretty cool, go for it if you wanna!

• Like x 2
  10. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Is this why Pearl takes like three days to reform after poofing?

Because she's spending that long going over all her possible clothing options to see what outfit would be more suiting to current events and have the best mobility compared to comfort, with a slight hint of subterfuge in case of walking through human territory?

• Like x 8
  11. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

That is exactly what my pearl was bred for except it backfired and she went "fuck this noise i'ma eat my owner too and run off to join some rebellion seeya suckers"

• Like x 6
  12. chaoticArbiter

I mean, I assume so.

• Like x 1
  13. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I heard about Pearl fighting rings somewhere...

• Like x 8
  14. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Keeping different types and castes of gems as segregated as possible is about what I'd expect of Homeworld. I don't even think it's about fusion in specific--it's about preventing cross-class dialogue, keeping anybody from giving each other ideas about what it might be like being something different than what they were made to be. As Garnet herself says, she is a conversation, and that's what makes her so threatening to the social order of Homeworld. A common soldier and an aristocrat talking, bonding, getting the chance to literally see through the same eyes? Just in the earliest parts of their relationship, in "The Answer", Ruby causes Sapphire to question her powerlessness in the face of fate for the first time in her life, and Sapphire questions to Ruby's face the assumption that as a common ruby, her individual life has no value. Homeworld's entire social order depends on the premise that gems, by nature, exist for one purpose and that purpose only and can never be anything else. By fusing and talking to one another, Ruby and Sapphire began to realize that isn't true. And so could anyone else, if Homeworld isn't careful.

• Like x 17
  15. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

holy shit what if this is what's up with homeworld's experiments into refusing shattered gem particles. they saved pink diamond's gem and are trying to piece it back together.

if rose quartz was pink diamond's, and pearl was rose quartz's, it would make sense for pearl also to be pink diamond's. underlings would be part of the same... faction, as their superiors.

• Like x 14
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I think they meant theorizing that Pearl directly belonged to Pink Diamond. Made for her, not Rose. Same way as Yellow Pearl and Blue Pearl for their respective Diamonds.

• Like x 1
  17. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

i love the idea that pearl is older than rose quartz, and was a hand-me-down aide de camp. she wasn't made on earth, she's got too much resentment about it— she's trapped here, not from here. so she could have been made for pink diamond, but discarded for a newer model, and then given to a gem that wouldn't necessarily be awarded a new pearl, but was still doing well enough to have some pearl.

it would also be a really fucking cool role reversal from what's been presented to us, that pearl is a little girl soldier under motherly rose's protection. pearl could have been a tired, worn-out old secretary, and then given to this vivacious, radical young prodigy of a quartz soldier, and started to learn new things and think new thoughts and become young again, too, in this new way of living.

• Like x 27
  18. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I can't believe steven is fucking dead

• Like x 14
  19. blue

blue hightown funk you up

I immediately jumped to the same conclusion as KB proposes when I read "a circle of [nobles]" in the first part, haha. I don't know if it makes sense for there to be fighty pearls given everyone's SHOCK!! at our Pearl, but oh man do I want it

• Like x 7
  20. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

but therein lies the appeal. look how absolutely RIDICULOUS it is, everybody! PEARLS fighting each other. why, they can barely even throw a punch! how adorable.

• Like x 17
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice